Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General > 400 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'93K 440 (Offers invited - 2 Owner / 37K - Bereavement Sale)

Views : 5355

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2014, 00:49   #11
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

looks nice - good luck
volvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvoid For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 12:51   #12
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

An offer has now been made for this car - thank you. (I have tried to reply to this person via a pm, but the system won't let me - apparently I don't have enough posts under my belt - sorry!) I have consulted the family and they are happy that the car will not now be scrapped and it will go to this bidder unless a higher offer is received in the meantime. (There has been a delay in the exchange of contracts which means that the car will remain on sale a little longer).

Last edited by john.wigley; Feb 15th, 2014 at 13:04. Reason: Add note re pm
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 10:07   #13
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

I think you have to have made 50 posts to send a pm, but you might be able to reply to one before that.
Join in a couple of conversations, you'll soon be there
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 16:05   #14
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

I didnt realise you were running an auction, my offer is about to expire.
I'll start you off again at 1 pound.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvoid For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 18:15   #15
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Sincere apologies, 'volvoid' if any offence has been given - certainly none was intended. I deliberately did not make known either the identity or the amount of your offer out of courtesy. My concern is only to save this car from scrap and to do my best for the family - hence giving as much time as possible for folk to make an offer for the car.

If you wish to withdraw your offer that is your prerogative, but I don't think a notional £1 would be accepted. The local breakers will take the car away and pay £140 for it. So that is the minimum that would be acceptable - I did say that all serious offers in excess of scrap value would be considered and that remains the case.

Kind regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Feb 16th, 2014 at 18:18.
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 19:06   #16
bookerbill
Trader

Default hi

i will pm you
bookerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 19:51   #17
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

no offence taken, just changing toys this week
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 20:26   #18
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

Sadly I can't help with finding this car a home but I must say that seems far too good to scrap, someone save the poor old thing!
AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 20:32   #19
mcouchard
Master Member

When does it need to be gone by, is there a date set?
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 21:18   #20
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Thank you all for your interest and encouragement. It's a little difficult to give a specific date, but I doubt it will be around for much more than a week, possibly two at the most. The family haver a buyer for the house but apparently there is a delay in exchanging contracts. As soon as that happens, the car will need to be gone. This is a genuine offer and I will relay all enquiries to the family.

To answer a specific question: the car is in good mechanical order as far as I am aware. I do know that it was serviced regularly prior to falling into disuse upon the owner's illness in 2007 - remember this was an elderly lady's car who often drove it quite long distances, including abroad, alone. It had to be both safe and reliable.

I believe that a good service would be all that is required to put it back on the road - it's already had a new battery! As always, I would strongly advise personal inspection if you are seriously interested in the car - the family are happy to facilitate that.

Finally, it is not my intention to run an auction for the car. If you are interested, then please feel free to offer what the car is worth to you. The car will be sold to the highest offer received by the 'drop dead' date, in excess of the breaker's.

I think that answers all the questions that I have been asked, but if there is anything else that you wish to know please contact me again and I will do my best to help you. Thank you all once again for your interest.