Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General > 400 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'93K 440 (Offers invited - 2 Owner / 37K - Bereavement Sale)

Views : 5357

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2014, 13:46   #21
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Little did I realise when I put this car on here quite how much interest and, indeed, controversy it would create!

Thank you to those of you who have sent me a PM. It seems that, while I can receive a PM, I cannot, as yet, reply to one. So, if you wish to contact me in this way that is fine, but could I ask that you include an alternative point of contact in order that I might reply to you privately.

To clarify a couple of points that have been raised via PMs.

a) There is no objection in principle to selling the car to a dealer, should theirs be the highest offer, but we would prefer that it went to an enthusiast who would appreciate it. The important thing is that a perfectly good car is saved from being scrapped.

b) As previously stated, it was never my intention to conduct an auction for the car. If I have inadvertently given that impression, I unreservedly apologise. There is no 'bid' to 'beat' to 'win' this car. This would be unfair and I hope that I would not be so crass as to upset people by using this forum in that way. Please can you not cut a new member unfamiliar with the etiquette of this forum a little slack on this?

In the light of this, would it have been more acceptable had I put £500 ONO instead of simply inviting offers for the car? That way, if the car is worth £150 to person 'A' and they offered that amount, £200 to person 'B' and £250 to person 'C', then person 'C' would have been told privately that theirs was the nearest offer to the stated figure and that the car was theirs. Persons 'A' and 'B' would have been privately thanked for their offers and informed that they had been unsuccessful. That was how I anticipated it working and I apologise once again if some people feel that they have been misled - that was never the intention.

As I have previously said, my concern is that the car be saved from scrap if that is possible and also to do my best for the family. I would be failing in that if I accepted the first offer to made, even if I had that authority. To reiterate: all serious offers in excess of the breaker's will be considered by the family and the car will be sold to whoever makes the closest offer to £500, no matter how far away that is.

I hope that this answers all of the questions that have been asked and has clarified any uncertainty remaining.

Thank you all once again for your interest.
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 12:31   #22
Paffel
VOC Member

John, I'm going to give you some advice - as have most of the members have previously posted.

Yes - Although it was not your intention, if you re-read your previous posts, you have initiated and conducted a silent auction. If I was offering money for a car, I'd expect that offer to be reviewed and a solid yes/no within a few days - to be kept hanging on until a undetermined date will put most people off. It may also take people a while to get transport arranged for it. I wouldn't even start up a car that's been standing for 7 years without at least hand cranking it.

I also agree that these cars aren't worth much. I viewed a 440 that was in running order (very good order too) with tax, MOT and servicing last year in Bagworth - up for £400. I actually spent 2 hours with the seller and although I offered the full price for it, I advised him to keep it as it was that good.

You have to remember too that while this is a "perfectly good car" - its been stood for 7 years. It might be perfectly good, but things deteriorate over non-use and time. At this mileage I'd assume that all seals/bushes are as from new, so its reasonable to assume that at least some perishing has happened. This will include tyres too.

My advice to you - put a price on it, if you get an offer you're happy to accept - accept it, sell it, deal done. Even if the scrap man ends up having it, take off some valuable bits (although there aren't many on the 440!) before it goes, and sell those bits separately.

Previous; '98 V70XC, '97 V40 2.0, '94 855 T5,'02 S60 D5,'97 V70 AWD,'90 740 Turbo,'97 855 T5 Auto,99 V70 10V,'04 S80 D5,'99 V70R AWD
Paffel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paffel For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 19:24   #23
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

The optimist in me says that they will go UP in value, what an INVESTMENT !
After all, they cant go down. Right now 440s are at the worthless banger stage, 340s have been there, so have ford crapis and look what the surviving examples now fetch. While never cool or fashionable, all old cars have their fans, and one day someone will think this a golden opportunity.
Certainly a runner with mot reperesents very cheap wheels.
volvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 19:25   #24
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

IMHO, the first person who shows up at your door with cash should be welcomed with open arms, hot tea and homemade cake.
volvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 21:21   #25
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Thank you 'Volvoid' and 'Paffel' for your interest and advice. You are correct that any car, no matter how good, will deteriorate through standing unused. It is unfortunate that this one has stood so for 7 years, but that was due to illness and cannot be undone. The car has recently been fitted with a new battery and it both started easily and ran well. Hence my belief that a thorough service, together with an MOT of course, may be all that is required to put it back on the road. It has always been garaged and I would not expect it to be rotten underneath, but anyone interested should naturally satisfy themselves as to the condition of the car.

I am just acting as a facilitator in this matter and have no financial interest in the car. I simply don't want to see this car scrapped if it can be avoided and had also hoped that it might make a little more for the family than the £140 offered by the breaker. To be honest, I simply have no idea of how to price this car. That is why we invited offers! I would have thought it would be worth more than that, even if only as a source of spares for someone, but perhaps not.

I was waiting to hear from the family about the sale of the house before I posted anything further. However, the 'bottom line' is this: the car will be sold to the breaker unless a higher offer is received from elsewhere. It will then presumably be crushed, as sadly I doubt it would be worth his while to break it for parts. It will go to the breaker complete as the family have neither the time nor the inclination to remove any parts to sell separately - even if we knew which parts - as you suggested. But thanks for the advice - it is appreciated!

Last edited by john.wigley; Feb 21st, 2014 at 21:28.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 19:47   #26
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Default Monday, 10th., March ...

Thank you all for your forbearance! I have just been advised that the date indicated above is the last date by which the car must be sold, or otherwise disposed of.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 20:08   #27
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Default Last Call ....

I have just spoken to the late owner's daughter and learnt that the car must be removed from the premises, ideally by tomorrow (Sunday), or, at the latest, Monday next. Sadly, after that, the car will no longer remain available.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 00:50   #28
volvorocks
Rodney

Where is Leicesershire? Is it near Leicestershire??.....

Think you are missing a 'T'.....

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 10:13   #29
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

'Volvorocks' My apologies for the omission and my thanks for pointing out same. You are correct: It is, of course, Leicestershire and I shall endeavour to correct the error! Thanks again!

Whilst writing, I would advise all interested parties that the car is, at this precise moment in time (0915 : 10/03), still available, but will not so remain after today!

Thank you!
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 23:46   #30
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Default Gone .....

May I respectfully advise all interested parties that this car is no longer available.

Notwithstanding receiving over 1000 views, the car elicited little interest, receiving only one offer - subsequently withdrawn - from this source.

As has been said before, these cars appear to have little or no value: sad really, but that's life!

The only positive that I can take from this outcome is that there is now one less car in competition with the 5 or 6 others currently advertised for sale in these columns. I wish their owners good luck in selling their vehicles - from personal experience they will certainly need it.

Thanks to all those people, who, in the true spirit of the VOC, offered helpful and constructive advice.

Regards to all. John.
The Following User Says Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post: