Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General > 400 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1991 460 Turbo Auto For Sale

Views : 3158

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2014, 23:34   #1
Big Boaty

Default 1991 460 Turbo Auto For Sale

Due to my new love affair with my S70 and 960, and my planned love affair with a ragtop C70, Victor needs to move on to pastures new. Here's a link to the eBay advert for details:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-H-Vol...item58b54cacb3

Thanks to you guys in here in the 460 section for helping to spark my new interest and enjoyment in the Volvo marque. Thanks to you I've gone from buying one accidentally and knowing nothing to being obsessed (and loving it!)....all in the space of a couple of months!
Big Boaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 10:50   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Just had a dekko at the ad - what a beauty, and good value to boot! If any car is deserving of preservation that's got to be on the list - hope it goes to a good home.

Regards, John.
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 12:34   #3
Big Boaty

Price reduced by £100...
Old Oct 9th, 2014, 15:43   #4
Big Boaty

£600 buys him...it's ridiculous, but I simply don't have the space to keep him anymore...
Old Oct 9th, 2014, 22:56   #5
Big Boaty

Well, I've finally had an offer from someone who wants to break him. It's literally the only offer or even expression of interest that I've had, so I'm afraid that unless there's a minor miracle in the next three days Victor is headed for a somewhat inglorious and undignified end. It does seem barmy that a stunning car which must number amongst the very best left on the road, and is a rare variant to boot is worth no more than it's wheels, stereo and engine as parts, but there we are. Clearly the 460 is the unloved black sheep of the Volvo family!

Cheers to all for your help over the last few months, and if any of you knock around the S70 or 960 parts of the forum I'll no doubt see you there. :-)
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 10:30   #6
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boaty View Post
Well, I've finally had an offer from someone who wants to break him. It's literally the only offer or even expression of interest that I've had, so I'm afraid that unless there's a minor miracle in the next three days Victor is headed for a somewhat inglorious and undignified end. It does seem barmy that a stunning car which must number amongst the very best left on the road, and is a rare variant to boot is worth no more than it's wheels, stereo and engine as parts, but there we are. Clearly the 460 is the unloved black sheep of the Volvo family!

Cheers to all for your help over the last few months, and if any of you knock around the S70 or 960 parts of the forum I'll no doubt see you there. :-)
Your car must NOT be broken, Big Boaty, that is not just barmy, that is unmitigated sacrilege!

I am truly sorry that I am not in a position to buy him. Even if I could, he'd sorely miss his heated garage and have to stand out in all weathers.

There has got to be some way in which a car as good and unusual as yours can be preserved: perhaps the classic car hire market or even the corner of a transport heritage group's store?

Regards, John.
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 11:42   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

It's funny but just this week, several years after selling and missing my lovely old 1800ES, SWMBO said to me that I ought to get a 'hobby' car again, and suggested a 'modern classic'. Her conditions are that it has to be an auto so that everyone in our family could drive it if needs be, that it's modern enough to be used as an every day car, and that it's a Volvo bought for under £1000.

We've been watching the re-runs of Wheeler Dealers on Quest and she has I think developed something of a soft-spot for Edd China!

I immediately showed her this little beauty, but the reaction was 'a 480 yes, but not a 460'. And I guess that shows the problem. Although they are essentially the same car, the 460 doesn't have the 'cute' factor of the 480.

Which makes me wonder as an idle thought, would it be possible to drop the engine and gearbox from a 460 into a 480? There's a few 480s for sale but they tend to be 1.7 manuals.

Wouldn't it be great if the VOC could organise a National Volvology Centre to keep these cars alive until such time as the classic car world starts to appreciate their value? A few years ago 240s were worth diddly-squat, now they're starting to make decent prices as people see the benefit of simple, well-engineered and well-built cars as the alternative to the latest plastic PCs-on-wheels.

All we'd need is a nice warm barn, a ramp and a bit of enthusiasm! Can you just imagine a big old shed full of 240's, 740's, 300's, 400's and maybe even 850's, all lovingly preserved! Oh be still my beating heart!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 11:59   #8
Anadinolin
VOC Member

I would want him but I havent got 600. I now have a garage space to put cars too hope he dosent get broken down...ill have him and pay in lump sums if it comes to itbv
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 13:05   #9
Big Boaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
It's funny but just this week, several years after selling and missing my lovely old 1800ES, SWMBO said to me that I ought to get a 'hobby' car again, and suggested a 'modern classic'. Her conditions are that it has to be an auto so that everyone in our family could drive it if needs be, that it's modern enough to be used as an every day car, and that it's a Volvo bought for under £1000.

We've been watching the re-runs of Wheeler Dealers on Quest and she has I think developed something of a soft-spot for Edd China!

I immediately showed her this little beauty, but the reaction was 'a 480 yes, but not a 460'. And I guess that shows the problem. Although they are essentially the same car, the 460 doesn't have the 'cute' factor of the 480.

Which makes me wonder as an idle thought, would it be possible to drop the engine and gearbox from a 460 into a 480? There's a few 480s for sale but they tend to be 1.7 manuals.

Wouldn't it be great if the VOC could organise a National Volvology Centre to keep these cars alive until such time as the classic car world starts to appreciate their value? A few years ago 240s were worth diddly-squat, now they're starting to make decent prices as people see the benefit of simple, well-engineered and well-built cars as the alternative to the latest plastic PCs-on-wheels.

All we'd need is a nice warm barn, a ramp and a bit of enthusiasm! Can you just imagine a big old shed full of 240's, 740's, 300's, 400's and maybe even 850's, all lovingly preserved! Oh be still my beating heart!

Cheers

Jack
It's the same story here at Boatyville in fairness. I bought Victor to be my wife's winter car. She has no objection to a modern classic, her summer car is a '93 Eunos Roadster, but she rejected Victor out of hand on the basis that he "just looks too old". Of course, I'd caught the Volvo bug at that point, thanks to this forum...so when the gorgeous 960 came up in the 900 section I bought it for my Dad to use, thus releasing my wife's old Focus which she decided she missed dreadfully and wanted back. Subsequently I bought the S70 Turbo which I totally adore.

So, how can I honestly be surprised that he doesn't set hearts on fire anywhere else when it doesn't happen here?

I enjoy owning him because of his rarity and his condition...he really is a time warp. But in terms of using him...well, the wife won't have him as either her summer or winter car. He's not suitable for my old man to use. I have two cars that I use, but one is a Lexus RX 4x4 which is massively flexible and is my car for 'best', but also for winter worst weather and for load lugging, so he can't replace that, and the other is the S70 which I have fallen head over heels in love with in the few weeks I've owned it...so that's going nowhere.

I do keep a 'spare car', to loan to family and for use as and when etc. It's a 1994 Peugeot 106 XDT. Rare spec, superb nick, and 75MPG to boot...his name is Jean-Francois, or 'Jeff'. But he is SO cute...how could I replace him? And all of the family love him...

So Victor, bless his heart, just doesn't fit into the dynamic! So what can I do? When the Eunos was in use I just hid him in the garage and forgot about him, but Black Betty is back in her winter hibernation now. So, I either just sell him to whoever for whatever purpose they have in mind (at a substantial loss I might add!), or I sell an internal organ to rent another garage, buy a Carcoon, and pop him away on the basis that he will undoubtedly become increasingly collectable in the future...and that's just not a viable option.

If I had leisure time I'd keep him as a show car...enjoy doing the little bits to bring him fully up to speed, and then tour him round the BKV jobs and other shows. But I work seven days a week.

I actually feel guilty, like I'm rejecting an ugly foster child!
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 17:34   #10
Big Boaty

There's an update! A proper 460 enthusiast is coming to see him in the morning. He's had two before, including a turbo, and seems keen....so fingers crossed!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Boaty For This Useful Post: