Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HELP HELP- Volvo XC70 2008- No Heater Blower

Views : 2951

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2017, 19:39   #1
mshughes1425

Default HELP HELP- Volvo XC70 2008- No Heater Blower

I have a Volvo XC70 MKIII 2008
I recently placed a New Battery onto the car and parked it up for approximately 6 weeks, I have since found my Heater Blower Fan is not working at any speeds, whether this is coincidental to changing the battery or not I'm unsure. ( The fan operated fine with no noise etc prior)

** I have Checked the J Type 40A Green Fuse for the Ventilation Fan and this is fine**

** I have brought a New Resistor Module from Volvo at a steep cost of £120- No difference**

I have turned the Fan to full and then to low as there is some mention of Calibration- Still not working

Any Advice before I take on the massive timely task of replacing the Fan 3+ Hrs, and purchase the £80 tool required to remove it.

I have spent so much time and am DIY car minded so reluctant to take it to a garage, I will try and get an OBD read next week.

Many Thanks
Matthew
mshughes1425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 19:56   #2
Tatsfield
Premier Member

On today's cars the electronic component of the vehicle is enormous and today the use of electronic test equipment for the electronics is of equal value to the use of spanners on nuts and bolts. You can buy clone DICE/VIDA test equipment on ebay which will tell you which circuits are returning out of range parameters to the ECU and that will help you define which component is not performing to specification. To run DICE/VIDA you need a laptop running under Windows 7. These days they are available cheaply if you don't have one or don't have a later OS which could run a Virtual Win 7 system to house the diagnostic software.

With the price of Volvo spares it is a very expensive approach to keep replacing parts in the hope that you have selected the faulty one. Garages love to do that but they make a profit out of incompetence while you will make a loss if you choose to copy their methods.

You probably have more auto engineer ability than I do but I find that electronic diagnostics are a force multiplier and enable you to do what the spotty youth at the main dealer can do!
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 20:02   #3
mshughes1425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
On today's cars the electronic component of the vehicle is enormous and today the use of electronic test equipment for the electronics is of equal value to the use of spanners on nuts and bolts. You can buy clone DICE/VIDA test equipment on ebay which will tell you which circuits are returning out of range parameters to the ECU and that will help you define which component is not performing to specification. To run DICE/VIDA you need a laptop running under Windows 7. These days they are available cheaply if you don't have one or don't have a later OS which could run a Virtual Win 7 system to house the diagnostic software.

With the price of Volvo spares it is a very expensive approach to keep replacing parts in the hope that you have selected the faulty one. Garages love to do that but they make a profit out of incompetence while you will make a loss if you choose to copy their methods.

You probably have more auto engineer ability than I do but I find that electronic diagnostics are a force multiplier and enable you to do what the spotty youth at the main dealer can do!
Thank You for this, a relative has a garage with a Snap On £4k Electronic Diagnostics so hopefully this will be of some benefit/accuracy.
** I will be taking the Resistor Back for a refund, so no loss there, just wanted to rule it out seeing a lot of people point towards this specific part as failing over time and when the car gets to around 10yrs old**

Kind Regards
Matthew
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 00:48   #4
Tatsfield
Premier Member

DICE/VIDA is written by Volvo for Volvo cars. There are no generic compromises. Your relative may need to run diagnostics on all sorts of cars and his gear will do that but it is doubtful whether it is as comprehensive as the Volvo kit is for Volvo cars. A clone will cost you about £60.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 18:06   #5
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshughes1425 View Post
I have a Volvo XC70 MKIII 2008
I recently placed a New Battery onto the car and parked it up for approximately 6 weeks, I have since found my Heater Blower Fan is not working at any speeds, whether this is coincidental to changing the battery or not I'm unsure. ( The fan operated fine with no noise etc prior)

** I have Checked the J Type 40A Green Fuse for the Ventilation Fan and this is fine**

** I have brought a New Resistor Module from Volvo at a steep cost of £120- No difference**

I have turned the Fan to full and then to low as there is some mention of Calibration- Still not working

Any Advice before I take on the massive timely task of replacing the Fan 3+ Hrs, and purchase the £80 tool required to remove it.

I have spent so much time and am DIY car minded so reluctant to take it to a garage, I will try and get an OBD read next week.

Many Thanks
Matthew
Hi Matthew,
One thing you may be able to do before taking everything apart is to remove the speedo cluster (pry off black plastic piece on underside and then take the two screws out) and then reach down and right to unplug the fan. You may have just enough access/reach to get some wires in there to see if you get voltage to the fan. That would eliminate some possibilities along the way. I've got that dumb tool sitting in my bedroom closet...too bad I'm not closer to you as I could easily ship to you for one-time use.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 08:38   #6
apersson850
Premier Member

There is no resistor module for the passenger compartment fan in today's cars. It's an electronic drive unit, designed to convert a low power control signal from the climate control unit to the high current drive used to run the fan.
Also note that the fan is constantly powered by +12 V. The speed regulation is done by controlling the return current to ground inside the fan control module.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 10:04   #7
mshughes1425

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
There is no resistor module for the passenger compartment fan in today's cars. It's an electronic drive unit, designed to convert a low power control signal from the climate control unit to the high current drive used to run the fan.
Also note that the fan is constantly powered by +12 V. The speed regulation is done by controlling the return current to ground inside the fan control module.
This XC70 2008 has a Resistor Module behind the Pollen Filter box as ive replaced it with a volvo one sadly for £120 so that will be going back to them .
Thanks for help though
Regards
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 10:07   #8
mshughes1425

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
Hi Matthew,
One thing you may be able to do before taking everything apart is to remove the speedo cluster (pry off black plastic piece on underside and then take the two screws out) and then reach down and right to unplug the fan. You may have just enough access/reach to get some wires in there to see if you get voltage to the fan. That would eliminate some possibilities along the way. I've got that dumb tool sitting in my bedroom closet...too bad I'm not closer to you as I could easily ship to you for one-time use.
Thank you...yes that tool is £130 delivered from US
Im going to take cluster clocks out and give the top of the fan a wallop to rule out sticking brushes and attempt to get a voltage read on the two pin plug.
Thanks for your supoort
Keep the information coming gents as this is an expensive job to replace motor
Regards
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 14:45   #9
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshughes1425 View Post
Thank you...yes that tool is £130 delivered from US
Im going to take cluster clocks out and give the top of the fan a wallop to rule out sticking brushes and attempt to get a voltage read on the two pin plug.
Thanks for your supoort
Keep the information coming gents as this is an expensive job to replace motor
Regards
Hey ms,
Out of curiosity I got a quote online to ship the tool your way. It looks like I could ship to the UK via untracked/slow option for $25CAD/15quid. I would be happy to do that for you as long as you can commit to sending the thing back to me when you are done with it. if you are interested, the package is 12x13x23.5cm and weighs 3lbs. Let me know. Happy to help.
Pierre

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 18:55   #10
mshughes1425

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
Hey ms,
Out of curiosity I got a quote online to ship the tool your way. It looks like I could ship to the UK via untracked/slow option for $25CAD/15quid. I would be happy to do that for you as long as you can commit to sending the thing back to me when you are done with it. if you are interested, the package is 12x13x23.5cm and weighs 3lbs. Let me know. Happy to help.
Pierre
Pierre that is a really nice offer for you to make
Im going to try a few thing's tomorrow failing that i would very much appreciate that and i would of course return the tool via postal service when i have removed the motor..
Kindest Regards
Matthew