Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rogue drivers door lock

Views : 8684

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 22:05   #1
mde2711

I have a door lock with a mind of its own. It seems it wants to stand up and be counted!
When I hit the remote lock button I hear the ever reliable sound of door locks tucking themselves into bed.
BUT:
Whilst it's other 3 brothers and sisters merrily pop back down into their hidey holes for the night this one drops down - then cheekily hops back up again.
Now, I'm not wanting to be a kill-joy, and I'm all for supporting the individuals around us - I even let my wife vote for that Chico bloke on X Factor cos he was a bit off the wall, BUT - this fella must go down and stay down. I want all the kids in bed at the same time.

Can anybody help?
I read on another forum site about doing a reset:
Quote:
Try performing a reset of the UEM (Upper Electronic Module), this controls the door locks and window operation:

- Close all of the doors and bonnet.
- Key in position II engine not running.
- Hold both the driver window and passenger window switches in the driver door panel in the closed or up position for 5 to 8 seconds after the windows are closed.
- Release buttons.
- Remove the ignition key.
- Operated the remote twice. lock/unlock lock/unlock.

This will reset the UEM brain. This can correct faulty operation of the sunroof and/or erratic door lock function.

I've tried this and the cheeky fella just keeps popping back up, I'm having to open the door and gemntle tuck him into his little cave before shutting the door. This is far from convenient - actually it's a pain in the backside -especially when linked to my alarm problems (see my other post about my alarming problem).

Can anybody else offer any other bedtime tips so I can get all the little chaps settled down together with one pucsh of my remote button?
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 08:34   #2
TJMurphy
VOC Member

Do a search on the forums, it's a common problem.

Basically your door lock is shot and the dealer will relieve you of a not inconsiderable amount of money to replace it ...

Typically a lock / unlock / lock (repeat ad-infinitum) will make it stay in bed. But, you need to stand around and wait for the deadlocks to click in 30 seconds later to make sure it doesn't pop up again

Tony
(Two replaced under warranty ... so far!)
TJMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 13:05   #3
mde2711

Does anybody know how much they might take me for?
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 21:02   #4
blues60
My car is blue

I'm sure the locks come in at around £150 a go. Not sure what the labour is.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 22:19   #5
TJMurphy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde2711 View Post
Does anybody know how much they might take me for?
Have a vague feeling someone quoted about £270 on here recently but I could be wrong (and am too lazy to look it up!).

Which probably adds up to about an hours labour on top of the price Blues60 quoted.

Tony
TJMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 13:14   #6
Symes
Master Member

I've got a similar problem, started a few days ago... but a simple remedy without the wait for the deadlock.

If the drivers lock indicator 'pops' back up after you use the remote, use the key to manually lock the door.

I mean to take the lock off and give it a going over - I had the tailgate lock refuse to 'latch' at all which was fixed by removing the trim and giving the mechanism a spray with WD40 - the plastic parts simply needed re-lubing after 6 Years use.
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:14   #7
fazer

Default central locking

my passenger door lock pops up now and again when locking, i wouldent worry about it , the deadlocks kick in after 30 seconds anyway so no problem. fazer , white s60 ,good fun !
fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 21:51   #8
mde2711

Frazer

That was how mine started.
Sadly I had to take it to the stealer in the end and have a new lock fitted - £250.
Most independant places won't touch the lock mechanism as it is linked to the alarm - and that's strictly Volvo dealer territory
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 19:30   #9
mde2711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symes View Post
I've got a similar problem, started a few days ago... but a simple remedy without the wait for the deadlock.

If the drivers lock indicator 'pops' back up after you use the remote, use the key to manually lock the door.

I mean to take the lock off and give it a going over - I had the tailgate lock refuse to 'latch' at all which was fixed by removing the trim and giving the mechanism a spray with WD40 - the plastic parts simply needed re-lubing after 6 Years use.
Frazer

Just reading through this post above, this maybe well worth a go as I suggest that replacing the lock sounds like using a dinamite stick to crack a nut. I never had th time, or patience to try this - wish I had made time now as thinking about it the problem could just be some sticking parts. A damn good squirt of magic WD40 in the right places could free them up. Certainly worth it
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 21:21   #10
fazer

Smile door lock fix ?

sqirt wd around popping up lock on top of door panel and hey presto lock now stays down when using remote , simple !.
fazer is offline   Reply With Quote