Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing door, matching colours

Views : 440

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2017, 10:33   #1
AUS T5

Default Replacing door, matching colours

Someone tried to rip my door off with a caravan they were towing whilst we were parked waiting to load on to a ferry. We were parked on the wharf in Melbourne ready for a month of camping on Tasmania. My wife had both passenger side doors open re arranging bags when this goon in the lane beside us decide to pull forward without looking in his mirrors, catching the back door and bending it back on itself and buckling into the open front door. So, I am now looking for a replacement for the back door, the front is still good. Today I posted details on a nation wide wreckers web site advertising for a replacement of a similar vintage (2008)
My colour code is 477-46 electric silver. I recieved a reply from a yard in Sydney hours later who said they had one on a 2012 model which I think should be still compatible, only problem is, I am in Brisbane and so would have to buy blind, not a good thing since I think there are 3 or 4 silver variants to this model and although it's a good clear photo he sent me his colour code number 477-00 doesn't exactly match mine of 477-46. When I questioned that he told me the first three numbers are the ones that matter ?
Vehicle Identification No. YV1CT3056C1625881
Exterior color 477-00 Exterior color ELECTRIC SILVER
The first photo is my door, and the second the yards door which looks different in colour but that could obviously just be because of different light and camera.
I would appreciate any comments re this paint code and what the last two digits are for if known
Thanks guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0281.jpg (184.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0444.JPG (160.4 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by AUS T5; May 15th, 2017 at 10:50. Reason: Photo's
AUS T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 11:19   #2
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Hello, while the first 3 numbers on the paint code refer to the colour, as correctly identified the other numbers refer to the manufacturer of the paint and the solvent/finish composition. So I would guess the colour in your example will be close but you will get slight variations due to the manufacturer ...

477-46 ....
4= IDAC/DuPont
6= water based Solid/Metallic/Pearl + 2 component Varnish

477-00
0= ?
0= ?

Not sure on the 00, maybe just lazy or not looking up the number on the plate properly .... afaik, all Volvo's have had the 5 digit paint code since water based paint was introduced in the late 80's

Best to see the match if your that fussy (understandably.)

Hope it helps
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 12:32   #3
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Can you not just take it to a bodyshop to fit replacement door & get the colour properly blended in to match (assuming the caravan drivers insurance is picking up the tab for the damage done)?
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 14:34   #4
AUS T5

Thanks truckbus and Simon, you're info truckbus was pretty comprehensive
Cheers
Phil
Old May 15th, 2017, 22:03   #5
AUS T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
Can you not just take it to a bodyshop to fit replacement door & get the colour properly blended in to match (assuming the caravan drivers insurance is picking up the tab for the damage done)?
Hi Simon, the insurance claim against the other driver was rejected because here in Aus they say it's the fault of the other driver leaving their door open. We could have challenged this in court but it happened about three months ago now and it is starting to get boring and costly, not to mention having to drive around with an unopenable wedged up door which had become pretty drafty.
Also, finding a paint shop that can match up these colours is hard, there always seems to be a slightly different tone in the final dried colour.
Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to AUS T5 For This Useful Post: