Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Beating Brexit Day - 31 Oct 2019

Views : 5255

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2019, 14:56   #1
Begonia

Default Beating Brexit Day - 31 Oct 2019

The date today is 18 August 2019 and there are 74 days left to go to Brexit on 31 October 2019.

Q1. If I were to order a new Volvo XC90 today, would it arrive before Brexit?

Q2. If it arrives after Brexit, then I might have to pay an Import Surcharge. I believe this charge is highly likely under 'No Deal' to be 10%. Correct?

Q3. I've been offered a cracking discount on a new XC90. That is, providing I order it very quickly. I've been told the expected delivery date is currently mid-October 2019. Can I believe this to be true? If it is true, then I would take delivery before Brexit and miss having to pay an Import Surcharge.

Q4. There is always a risk that the vehicle delivery might be postponed/delayed until after Brexit, thereby possibly incurring me with a 10% Import Duty surcharge on the vehicle price. a. Should I risk placing an order? or b. Should I wait a while and miss the cracking discount? There is always a risk too, that the dealership who are giving me the cracking discount are actually telling me a lie about the anticipated Delivery Date. After all, they are 'car dealers'!

Q5. What do you understand the current expected Delivery Date to be for a Volvo XC90 ?

Last edited by Begonia; Aug 18th, 2019 at 15:00.
Begonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 16:31   #2
isleaiw
Master Member

Perhaps the most important question is of course missing from your list... will Brexit day be 31/10? After all we don’t have much history of sticking to them and Parliament seems no more decided on a way forward now....whatever buffoon boris says...
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 17:13   #3
gaby
Premier Member

Wow, +10%
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 17:32   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

A small price to pay to get out.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 19:07   #5
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post
Perhaps the most important question is of course missing from your list... will Brexit day be 31/10? After all we don’t have much history of sticking to them and Parliament seems no more decided on a way forward now....whatever buffoon boris says...
Well if it doesnt happen on the 31.10.19 then the Conservatives will be out of power for a generation.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 19:27   #6
Billggski

Depends on the terms of leaving. No deal (which no-one thought possible during the referendum) will be unpredictable, as even Rees Mogg and other twits accept it will mean that the UK car industry will have tremendous difficulties and production may collapse. So new cars may be in short supply.

As Volvos are made in China, Sweden, Belgium and the USA the tariffs could vary and the situation could be very fluid.
But as we will be running short of medicines, perishables, and other vital supplies (as Michael Gove agrees) then the price of new cars will look pretty unimportant.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 20:05   #7
Begonia

This is the site which prompted me to create this thread:

https://www.activacontracts.co.uk/ne...al-brexit.html

So this is why I accurately want to know what the scheduled XC90 delivery date is.

Last edited by Begonia; Aug 18th, 2019 at 20:08.
Begonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 20:12   #8
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
A small price to pay to get out.
And those unhealthy snowflakes who die from medicine shortages are just collateral damage.
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 20:14   #9
MattDell

I asked my Volvo dealer this and he told me “the price is the price”, meaning the price on the order form is what I am agreeing to pay and what they are agreeing to sell should Brexit happen before the car arrives.

Naturally, I don’t have that in writing and so who knows if they’d honour that or whether the salesman was just trying to get me to agree to the sale. Fortunately I am scheduled for a 2nd week of September delivery (ordered June) so I’m not cutting it too close to October 31st.

To answer your questions,

1) Only your dealership can answer this. Each have allocated delivery slots so they may have an order coming before October that isn’t built yet that they can change the specs of to match your order. My dealer did this.
2) 10%. Correct. It stings.
3) Could be true (see #1). You could always ask for a conditional order regarding delivery before Brexit or for them to cover the import charge should it be post Brexit?
4) See 3. Get something in writing if you’re worried.
5) Waits of several months seems to be common. That said, a lot of stock seems to be arriving in September and October into the UK.

Last edited by MattDell; Aug 18th, 2019 at 21:41. Reason: Fixing typos from writing on my ipad
MattDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 20:37   #10
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
And those unhealthy snowflakes who die from medicine shortages are just collateral damage.
What however happens to we 'snowflakes' it will be a drop in the ocean compared to what will happen to the youth of today.
So far as the referendum is concerned has anyone on this forum signed up to buy a car without knowing the price?
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote