Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

black smoke and poor economy

Views : 2369

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2009, 08:30   #21
trystan

thanks again chris, it was an after market one (ebay) but there didnt seem to be a lot of choice though, my local parts shop also only did after market ones but for about £8 more than ebay one. ill stick my multi meter across it this afternoon when it stops raining. cheers
trystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 08:49   #22
trystan

ok i just put my multi meter on the ect and it was reading 4.8 with it set to 20k (cold) sorry im ok with volts and amps so not really sure what that means, but that doent seem to be any where near the figures you mentioned chris so im assuming its duff?
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 09:32   #23
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Without seeing your meter I would assume the reading means 4800 ohms.

It would be interesting to see what it reads when the engine is hot.

If you can find a resistor with a value between 200 & 300 ohms, you could connect that across the connector in place of the sensor when the engine is hot and see if that cures your problem.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 09:45   #24
the alarming man
V.O.C MEMBER

be very careful guys ohms and kilo ohms are not the same value...with a multi meter set to '20k' and you getting a reading of 4.8,that would mean you have a reading of 4.8 kiloohms
the alarming man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 10:50   #25
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

4.8 kilo ohms is 4800 ohms.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 11:40   #26
the alarming man
V.O.C MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
4.8 kilo ohms is 4800 ohms.
thats true but when you are talking resistance 4.8 k is totally different to a 4.8 ohms by about a 1000k
the alarming man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 14:07   #27
trystan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
Without seeing your meter I would assume the reading means 4800 ohms.

It would be interesting to see what it reads when the engine is hot.

If you can find a resistor with a value between 200 & 300 ohms, you could connect that across the connector in place of the sensor when the engine is hot and see if that cures your problem.
i'll try it hot and see what its reading. i thought i had keept the old sensor, but do you think i can find it? no. i think ill order a new one on monday anyway. i emailed the tach guy at 'car mechanic' magasines and his first sugestion without the flash code was ect. i finally feel im on the verge of sorting i.
quick question tho. when i put a new sensor in will the code reset itsself or do you have to clear it somehow?
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 18:04   #28
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

It will reset itself eventually, easy enough to reset yourself, follow the instructions in the links above.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 15:47   #29
trystan

just to let you know and say thanks for the help. ive replaced the coolant temp sensor and reset codes, lambda light is now off and no smoke so far. i'll now be interested to see if my mpg improves.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 15:59   #30
trystan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_T-5R View Post
Air con constantly clicks on and off. Do you have aircon? If so does the clicking stop when you turn the aircon off.
just a quickie in relation to this point and i know its off the original topic, the clicking i mentioned in original description does seem to be the air con clutch cutting in and out. ive read up a bit on this and just want to be sure, is the clutch switching on and off every 15 secs or so ok as i did read in one post that it should be every minuit or so? also the reason i didnt pick thi up untill the promt above was that air con was off but the clutch is still switching on /off, and now ive sorted the smokeing issue and gone for a drive, i played with the air con and it seems it wont turn off. the switch says its off but it still stays freezing cold and you can here the clutch engaging at idle and that noise of something being pressureised.