Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel pipe/rail query

Views : 701

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2009, 11:40   #1
the mk1 kid

Default Fuel pipe/rail query

Hi,

Please help solve a mystery for me - i'm sure its easily laid to rest by you guys!!

last night i visited a friends garage, and they had a nice 850 20v estate in black parked in the door way, and two mechanics were stood there puzzled where the 'other' fuel line entered the rail. One line ran over the rocker cover to the left, by the belts, and the other (return or feed i dont know?) was no where to be found!?

I suggested they slipped of the alloy cover that hides the pressure reg and injectors, which they did, but still no joy - it appeared to have only a feed (or return) - were we being blind/stupid!?

I tried searching for a pic of a 20v engine, and could only find similar examples, and not the exact engine (eg it was a 2.5 20v, but parts attached/near the rocker where different, so i assumed it was some variant).

I could make a call to find out the year..?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

EDIT: reason being it was running very rich, and they wanted to check the fuel pressure, vac hoses etc.
the mk1 kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 12:36   #2
Enigma666
Master Member

If it is anything like the S40 T4 I had there was no return line.....there was the piping for it (from the NA model) but it was blocked off....hope that is of some help?

If you give me the year of the car I can check Vadis too
Enigma666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enigma666 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 12:51   #3
the mk1 kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma666 View Post
If it is anything like the S40 T4 I had there was no return line.....there was the piping for it (from the NA model) but it was blocked off....hope that is of some help?

If you give me the year of the car I can check Vadis too
Hi, and thanks!

Its a 96 car.

I've not known, or worked on cars that dont have a feed and return - is this common?

Cheers

Tom
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 15:09   #4
Enigma666
Master Member

Any idea on the engine code for this car?
Enigma666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 15:53   #5
Juzzaman

My T5 has a return and supply to the fuel rail and both run next 2 each other in same place you have 1. Side by side.

Justin

Juzzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 17:34   #6
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I think you will find it's this engine:

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/airpump1.php

Fuel return pipes were generally not fitted as far as the engine to the later cars they only went as far as the fuel filter area.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 10:35   #7
the mk1 kid

Hi, and thank you for your replies.

That is the engine for sure!

So the part we saw beneth the fuel rail couldn't have been the pressure regulator then - is that situated near the filter then?

The car runs like a bag of spanners, and as far as i know (i've not been in contact with my firend over the weekend) they were going to try a new coolant sensor (web search and mechanics general knowledge suggested that or the pressure reg could be to blame) and check the fuel pressure.

I'll get back to you when i know more..

Cheers

Tom