Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Service Require - ECM6805

Views : 27090

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2010, 22:11   #21
Multiplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
RobI

This all sounds familiar - I had the same problem and code a few months back.

I went through the process of:

* get all vac lines checked for leaks (vac test or smoke test)
* check engine pads for leaks
* check / replace turbo control valve (TCV) on air box (part no. 30611668 ~£30)
* check / replace turbo governor valve on front of engine block (part no 30637251 ~£110)
* last resort its the turbo

I had vac lines checked at an indy - all ok.

Replaced the TCV - still threw code. Apparently its also worth trying yet another TCV as they can be temperamental !

Replaced governor - cured!

Seems a new governor hasn't cured yours. Have you also changed the TCV?? More likely a cuplrit perhaps?
The valve on the side of the air filter housing is the control valve for the engine mounts - not the turbo control valve!
Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Multiplex For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 22:45   #22
Rockhopper
XC90 Exec

Ok thanks - that's what I was told it was called anyway? So what's the 'turbo control valve' - is that what I've been told is the 'governor'??
Rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 23:42   #23
jp11

I just suffered a similar problem today with my 04 D5. I changed the air filter last week, but with all the bad weather I haven't been using a lot of throttle. However today I came home during daylight and was able to use a bit more power at times. When accelerating hard it goes into limp mode and shows Engine Service Required with a red light. Switch off and it resets - until I accelerate hard again. I haven't got a code reader, but the problem sounds similar.
jp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 00:11   #24
Multiplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
Ok thanks - that's what I was told it was called anyway? So what's the 'turbo control valve' - is that what I've been told is the 'governor'??
The "Governor" is what Volvo call the turbo control valve.

It controls the vacuum to the variable vane turbo (the vanes alter their pitch to control the turbo speed and therefore controlls the boost pressure).

It is located on the front of the engine block just below the fuel rail. The 90degree black intake hose has to be removed to gain access to it.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 12:16   #25
Rockhopper
XC90 Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplex View Post
The "Governor" is what Volvo call the turbo control valve.
It is located on the front of the engine block just below the fuel rail. The 90degree black intake hose has to be removed to gain access to it.
Yep - that's the one I changed and it cured mine
Rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 00:49   #26
GSMGuy
Master Member

FWIW

I too get this occasionally - I repalaced the intercooler a couple of months ago, as it was split, and have tried a ne turbo conwtrol solenoid with no joy.

I am convinced however, that mine is down to a vacuum leak. The way the turbo VNT works, if there is zero or low vacuum, then it produces none, or low boost, and the fact that boost is therefore not what is expected when monitored by the sensor in the intercooler, I think it triggers the ECM6205 code...

I have on order a Mityvac MV8500 http://www.tooldesk.com/automotive/M...e-Bleeder.aspx

And a Draper vesion of the Gunson Lo Gauge (identical, half the cost) http://www.gunson.co.uk/item.aspx?item=1827

I fully intend to get to the bottom of this, as my vac hoses look like they have poor connections where they meet tees and connectors to solenoids..

I am going to manually apply a vacuum to the VNT turbo's control mechanism, thereby forcing it into max boost mode, to see if this changes the way my problem manifests itsef, as I am pretty sure I am now getting zero boost below 2500rpm...

Will post updates...

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 18:43   #27
Clan
Experienced Member

You might find the rings cracked in the turbocharger which control the variable blades if you feel little boost below 2500 rpm ... This will restrict the vanes from moving ..
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 20:18   #28
Multiplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
FWIW

I too get this occasionally - I repalaced the intercooler a couple of months ago, as it was split, and have tried a ne turbo conwtrol solenoid with no joy.

I am convinced however, that mine is down to a vacuum leak. The way the turbo VNT works, if there is zero or low vacuum, then it produces none, or low boost, and the fact that boost is therefore not what is expected when monitored by the sensor in the intercooler, I think it triggers the ECM6205 code...

I have on order a Mityvac MV8500 http://www.tooldesk.com/automotive/M...e-Bleeder.aspx

And a Draper vesion of the Gunson Lo Gauge (identical, half the cost) http://www.gunson.co.uk/item.aspx?item=1827

I fully intend to get to the bottom of this, as my vac hoses look like they have poor connections where they meet tees and connectors to solenoids..

I am going to manually apply a vacuum to the VNT turbo's control mechanism, thereby forcing it into max boost mode, to see if this changes the way my problem manifests itsef, as I am pretty sure I am now getting zero boost below 2500rpm...

Will post updates...

Mike
Have you eliminated the engine mounts? You can either disconnect/blank them off for a period of time and see if the fault occurs or you can insert your vac guage inline with the engine mounts. Start the engine and it should show a vac/negative pressure. Clamp off the hose on the "solenoid" side so the vac is trapped in the engine mounts, pipes and obviously vac guage. Take your car for a run then have a look at the vac guage afterwards. If the vac has gone (returned to zero) then the one or more of the engine mounts are leaking or the associated hoses.

You can use your vac pump directly on the turbo/vvt actuator. Pull down a vac and the vvt rod will pull into the actuator. Slowly release the vac and watch the rod as it moves back, look for it sticking. Cary out this test on both a cold and hot engine.

If the rod sticks when the vac is released then it will most proably be a broken vvt control ring inside the turbo as Clan mentioned.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 05:04   #29
GSMGuy
Master Member

Yup, my plan is to test the mounts and manually operate the turbo actuator too, although I am going to go one stage further and appply a vacuum to the turbo and then drive to see if the low end boost returns - I really do think it is a vacuum leak somewhere, as above 2500-2750 rpm the motor performs faultlessly and pulls like a train, but there is a definate "build up" of boost around that rpm range, almost as if enough vacuum is building to operate the turbo - Does anyone know where the vac pump is on the D5 btw, can't see any reference to it in Vadis....

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 09:38   #30
Clan
Experienced Member

The vacuum pump is on the end of the exhaust camshaft . why dont you connect a vacuum gauge to the turbo actuator and see whats going on as you drive?