Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon v8 conversion options..

Views : 28577

Replies : 90

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2010, 03:10   #1
DQ81

Default Amazon v8 conversion options..

Hello

I'm David and have recently bought a 66 Amazon Combi with a bad B20A (although it does have rather big valves, what's stock size?)

I bought the car with the intention of fitting a sbc 350, perhaps with a blower.

I love a v8 and a conversion, just finished stuffing a Subaru 2.0 in my '72 Beetle and it's great fun.

This vid really inspired me quite a bit although I don't need the trubo's, I'm actually planning on putting a B&M supercharger on.

Inspiration vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCMMcTRilDU

One of the reasons I want to stuff a Sbc in there is parts availability. The car will probably come with me to the US in the next few years and it just makes life easier. I also know a bit about those engines and transmission (I'll be fitting a 3 or 4 speed auto with floor shifter using the Amazon's origional shifter to keep it looking sleeper)

Any advice?

What I've come up with so far on the to do list:

Sbc 350 coupled to a 700r4 transmission

Chrysler rear end which I'll shorten to the same width as stock (8 1/4 or 8 3/4) whatever I come across, as these have the same PCD as an Amazon.

Custom prop

Widen transmission tunnel

Custom engine mounts

Might run into issues with the steering box?

Brake booster can just be moved over....

I want to lower the car but buying lowering springs seems redundant as the sbc should weigh a bit more than a b20 and lower the front. Will it get really bouncy that way?

Who knows how much a B20 engine weighs, that would help tons!

Look forward to hearing thoughts, input etc.

Cheers,

David

Last edited by DQ81; May 24th, 2010 at 03:12.
DQ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:26   #2
fugman

Hello david. Im going to be fitting a rover v8 in mine. I think the steering box is a bit of an issue. Dont know what a b20 weighs, you in mildenhall suffolk. On the airbase. Your beetle sounds cool. Very interested to see the conversion plate I got a sort of beetle project as well.
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:11   #3
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Hi,

Have you considered the Chevy LS engines? Quite expensive for a new engine but plenty of secondhand engines in the states. More compact and lighter than the Small block or Rover engine and produces more HP.
LS1 - 350Hp, LS3 - 430Hp, LS7 - 505Hp and the supercharged LS9 640Hp. I was looking at installing one in a P1800 but it was going to be a bit of a headache getting it to fit, the main concern was the width and height which I would say will be your issues with the Amazon as well. I doubt you'd get a supercharged engine in and the headers are the main issue on a V8 conversion.

Also have a look at the Ford 302 engine, quite a compact V8 as well and will produce good Hp.

Another member on here suggested the 240 axle is strong and cheap to get hold of.

Good luck and keep us informed, love these types of conversions!!!

The B20 weighs between 150 and 155kg (330lbs), I could be wrong on this but I think that is correct.

Mitch

Last edited by Burdekin; May 24th, 2010 at 09:15.
Burdekin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 13:50   #4
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Mattias Vock has got 600Hp out of what I think is the Volvo turbo 3.0l 6cylinder. Links to some pics of the car and engine: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/volvo/1...n-ar15231.html
http://www.vocks.se/?p=viewgallery&gid=4
Just for info, the Volvo T5 engine bolts up to the Volvo M90 gearbox and the 2.3l will comfortably produce 300Hp. Considering an Amazon only weighs 1100kg, that would push it along. You'd also get a wee bit of a weight saving from the T5 and M90 I would think.
Just some thoughts for you to consider. The V8 would sound good though...
A link to US V8s dimensions: http://www.carnut.com/specs/engdim.html

Last edited by Burdekin; May 24th, 2010 at 14:00.
Old May 24th, 2010, 13:57   #5
amazon69
Premier Member

One way...and a very tempting one at that:

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168093
Old May 24th, 2010, 22:45   #6
DQ81

I had seen the Amazon on turbobricks b4...

I haven't looked into the Ls series v8's yet, good idea if they are smaller. But they are a bit pricey.

I know a guys who put a 305 in an amazon with a B&M blower and it fit snuggly under the stock hood...his main problem was the steering box and exhaust.

I think on that side I'll fab up something or get a set of headers that TTI amongst others make where the No. 1 cylinder runs over 3 and 5...

One of the main reasons I want a v8 is the cost (low compared to all other options) and it's sound.

Nothing like a v8 at idle, and at WOT of idle...dual exhaust with headers and some nice Thrush mufflers...just fits the look of the car I have in mind.

It'l be a while before I get started but just wanted to get some ideas.
Old May 24th, 2010, 23:11   #7
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I like your thinking. A V8 does sound great and they are lovely to drive.

Good luck and if I think of any other ideas will post them...
Old May 25th, 2010, 00:01   #8
DQ81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1971 View Post
I like your thinking. A V8 does sound great and they are lovely to drive.

Good luck and if I think of any other ideas will post them...
Did you have good look at the Swedish forum link that goes with that video on youtube I posted?

That guy did a pretty simple but bulletproof build.

How about this 302 in an p1800? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC1yl...eature=related

Or this Rover v8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUHX8...os=9Gem6Ej3gVE

Gives me V8 Fever!
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:05   #9
red92s

The big problem with going to a V8 is the width of the engines. The engine bay on an Amazon is pretty narrow and it's tough to get the packaging right without needing to modify inner fender wells, or start playing with different front suspension options.

Based purely on size, the Buick/Rover is probably one of the easier V8's to get in there.

Have you considered a 1UZFE (Lexus 4.0 V8)? Lightweight, fairly compact, smooth as silk, and can be had pretty cheap.
red92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:08   #10
DQ81

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
The big problem with going to a V8 is the width of the engines. The engine bay on an Amazon is pretty narrow and it's tough to get the packaging right without needing to modify inner fender wells, or start playing with different front suspension options.

Based purely on size, the Buick/Rover is probably one of the easier V8's to get in there.

Have you considered a 1UZFE (Lexus 4.0 V8)? Lightweight, fairly compact, smooth as silk, and can be had pretty cheap.
I haven't, I'm just not sure if they can be had over here, I'm in GB and NL...how much power do they make?

Tags
v8 amazon