Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alarm system service required

Views : 44739

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2016, 10:10   #41
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
I have removed the siren. Opened it up . The PCB was spotless. I have changed the NiMh battery and put it all back. The alarm sets just fine and siren works perfectly but I still have the "Alarm System Service Required" message coming on. What do I have to do now to get rid of this annoying warning???
you will probably find the code relates to no communication with the siren in which case a new siren is needed .
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 22:58   #42
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Would it still sound if there was a comms fault?
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 11:41   #43
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
Would it still sound if there was a comms fault?
no because it would not get the message down the single data wire to sound .. and it could go off on it's own if the circuit board was corroded somewhere .
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 17:12   #44
Simon Jones
Premier Member

That's what I thought, so as the OP said the "siren works perfectly" (by which I took to mean it makes a noise when triggered) it would reasonable to assume the wiring was in good order.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 22:04   #45
Mac2

Default Get Your codes looked at?

So how do I do this without paying volvo dealership hundreds of pounds??

Yes my alarm siren works perfectly. When I lock the door on the fob , but open the door with the key and open the door, the siren sounds and indicators flash. I am satisfied that the siren is fine. It's just the "Alsrm System Service Required " message I need to get rid of!!

Any help appreciated
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 22:13   #46
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
So how do I do this without paying volvo dealership hundreds of pounds??

Yes my alarm siren works perfectly. When I lock the door on the fob , but open the door with the key and open the door, the siren sounds and indicators flash. I am satisfied that the siren is fine. It's just the "Alsrm System Service Required " message I need to get rid of!!

Any help appreciated
you need to get the fault codes and the last alarm cause read out .. then if the codes relate to a communication problem with the siren you will need a new siren unit .. about £160 I believe .
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 12:34   #47
Mac2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you need to get the fault codes and the last alarm cause read out .. then if the codes relate to a communication problem with the siren you will need a new siren unit .. about £160 I believe .
Thanks Clan. Is it only Volvo dealers that can "get the fault codes and the last alarm cause read out"? A visit to a Volvo dealer can be a gut wrenchingly expensive experience - although am loath to invest £183 (on ebay) for a new siren unit - when the one I just took out and changed the battery in works perfectly well as an alarm and a siren. I just want the "Alarm system Service Required" message to disappear! I want someone with a code reader within easy reach of Witham Essex that can connect to my 2006 V70 D5 and delete this alarm system Service Required message (or alternatively a recommendation of a low cost reader that I can buy and conmnect to the car to do it myself!). Or is this impossible?
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 21:22   #48
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I don't believe you can delete that message as it not one that is stored. It is indicating a live fault (rightly or wrongly) so it does seem like you need to have the codes read which might pinpoint a fault with something like the mass movement sensor or tilt sensor (if fitted).
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 21:46   #49
Mac2

Default Thanks

Oh I see. It's possible that something else maybe broken? Something that has no obvious to the performance of the car??
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 07:05   #50
Spirit Man

Smile

I've just ordered a new alarm kit from Skandix.de. It's a genuine Volvo kit (Part No 9499758) all for 183 euros including courier delivery This is around £136 -£137 at current exchange rates which is a good saving over UK prices.
Here is a link.
http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...n-kit/1029734/
Spirit Man is offline   Reply With Quote