Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie - V50 D5 2.4 Questions

Views : 676

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2019, 12:35   #1
Jerry1975

Cool Newbie - V50 D5 2.4 Questions

Hi there,

I am new to the forum so please go easy on me..

I am looking for a new runabout with a bit more space and practicality than my current 2009 BMW 320i Coupe and I have always been a fan of the 2004-2012 Volvo V50 model.

The 5-cylinder 2.4 litre D5 engine intrigues me and I've heard good things about how robust they are, especially when compared to the 1.6D and the 2.0 PSA engine.

1) Looking at vehicle specs, I can see that 2007-on cars have massively improved MPG figures than earlier 2.4 D5 cars. Why is this and can the 'improved' MPG stats be believed?

2) Is anyone able to provide any 'real-world' (2007-on) MPG figures for both the 6-speed manual and also the auto?

3) Is the rarer 6-speed manual gearbox pretty robust and can it cope with high mileages?

4) Do the 2.4 D5 engined cars feel a lot more nose-heavy and 'understeery' than the smaller engined cars?

5) How are the D5 models on front tyres?

6) I've seen that some models have a USB connector in the centre console but most only have an AUX IN socket. Is the stereo able to play MP3 files directly from CD or the USB port or do you have to connect a separate MP3 player or stream from a phone etc?

7) Finally, as I will be looking at a higher mileage car (130k+) around 10 years old, are there any major issues to look out for?

Apologies for lots of queries, but any pointers and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

J
Jerry1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 12:51   #2
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Don't forget the later D3/D4 models as well (they are a bit harder to find).

Still a 5 pot diesel, but with 2.0-litres and 177bhp (D4) and 150bhp (D3)

Those who've drive both claim this to be a superior, more modern engine to the old 2.4 D5.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 12:55   #3
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Hi
most related questions will be answered by D5 users here, in general its the best diesel engine in P1 platform (edit: pre-FL model I meant, looking at T5R90210's post) you can get and from what I heard, wont dissapoint you with its reliability nor performance. MUCH better option than PSA diesels, thats for sure.
M66 6speed gearbox is a good piece of technology, have it on my T5 aswell and its not something you should have problems with (*I THINK*) - robust and fit-for-purpose, AT gearboxes may cause more issues from what I heard. My has 143k miles on the clock and gearbox is the least of my worries. Clutch and DMFs on other hand, thats something you will need to invest in , if not done. huge torque on those D5's.
As for aux in/usb - be careful, only FL models have them (2007/8+). Older cars like mine have none of it and no physical possiblity to add it later (unless 600e+ spent on dedicated unit).
In general with those cars - watch out for sunroof, if it has it - its 99% possibility it will give you problems (search "sunroof drain issue" ) and also try to find model with xenon headlamps. Stock halogens are rubbish and also prone to mist/flake etc so in general that is a achilles feet of our cars.
Also, as those cars are very electronically-complicated, make sure you test all components and if possible - get it tested in volvo or with someone who has vida+dice diagnostic unit, as any odd hidden electrical gremlins will cause you grief later on.
best of luck in car hunt!

Last edited by LizardOfBodom; Jan 24th, 2019 at 12:57.
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 13:27   #4
Jerry1975

Cool

Hi there,

Wow, thanks for the prompt responses

T5R92011 - Yeah, I did look at some of these but they are a little out of my budget at this time

LizardofBodom - Good to hear positive news about the manual 'box and also the overall reliability of the engine. I was conscious that clutches/flywheels are likely to be an issue on higher mileage cars. Have you had to change yours yet?

I had a play with a 2010 model 1.6D R-Design the other day and it just had the AUX IN socket. I tried to play a CD with MP3s on it and it wouldn't read it, which I thought was a bit old fashioned

Sunroofs are great and its a shame most modern cars with air-con tend not to have them. To be fair the few I have looked at already don't have one either so I'll be sure to avoid them. Its a shame though, because a full panoramic roof on a V50 would look great.

The 1.6D I looked at only had the halogen headlamps and they didn't seem great. I'll deffo look out for Xenons where possible - Do you know if Xenons can be easily retro-fitted? Or are there any decent bulb upgrades that you can get if you just have the standard lights?

Also, Am I right in thinking that the 2.4 D5 has twin exhaust pipes (one at each side)?

Cheers,

J

Last edited by Jerry1975; Jan 24th, 2019 at 13:55.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 14:15   #5
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1975 View Post
Hi there,

Wow, thanks for the prompt responses

T5R92011 - Yeah, I did look at some of these but they are a little out of my budget at this time

LizardofBodom - Good to hear positive news about the manual 'box and also the overall reliability of the engine. I was conscious that clutches/flywheels are likely to be an issue on higher mileage cars. Have you had to change yours yet?

I had a play with a 2010 model 1.6D R-Design the other day and it just had the AUX IN socket. I tried to play a CD with MP3s on it and it wouldn't read it, which I thought was a bit old fashioned

Sunroofs are great and its a shame most modern cars with air-con tend not to have them. To be fair the few I have looked at already don't have one either so I'll be sure to avoid them. Its a shame though, because a full panoramic roof on a V50 would look great.

The 1.6D I looked at only had the halogen headlamps and they didn't seem great. I'll deffo look out for Xenons where possible - Do you know if Xenons can be easily retro-fitted? Or are there any decent bulb upgrades that you can get if you just have the standard lights?

Also, Am I right in thinking that the 2.4 D5 has twin exhaust pipes (one at each side)?

Cheers,

J
Lizard has a remapped T5 so putting out similar torque figures to a standard D5 and has had his clutch done. I'm another T5 owner and my DMF is in need of replacement, still works fine but rattles on idle when warm - Clutches aren't cheap but you drive a BMW......so the Volvo price shouldn't shock you too much

Most use a Bluetooth FM transmitter to hook up their phones/Spotify etc, can be had cheap enough on Amazon or eBay

Pre-facelift models have diabolical headlights as standard, irconic for a company that prides themselves on safety. I got a Stealth kit from HIDS4U for £90. Had it fitted within 5 minutes (headlight removal is genius on these cars) and 3 years later I've had no issues at all.

Second thing with headlamps is the standard ones reflective coating can peal, most just fit some projectors from retro-fits (Lizard has a guide on all of this) - They're far better and a straight swap.

D5's have dual exhausts

EDIT: If you can get one WITHOUT a sunroof you're winning - Like all sunroofs, the drainage gets blocked, then they leak. They can trickle down into the CEM on these cars and can cause all kinds of issues!

Last edited by FunkyMelon; Jan 24th, 2019 at 14:18.
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FunkyMelon For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 14:28   #6
Yobbo
Dave

1) Looking at vehicle specs, I can see that 2007-on cars have massively improved MPG figures than earlier 2.4 D5 cars. Why is this and can the 'improved' MPG stats be believed?

Can't give you an honest answer on that - possible that it's down to tweaks in the software however while pre-facelift cars were rated to the same power, there seems to be a difference in peak torque, perhaps that is why...
The older engine code was the D5244T8 and the later code D5244T13

2) Is anyone able to provide any 'real-world' (2007-on) MPG figures for both the 6-speed manual and also the auto?

My facelift car is remapped but prior to this I was getting 40ish mixed driving and the best I had on a run was 55mpg, now I get 35mpg mixed and a recent long run including crawling in London and some booting across the M25 saw 48.5mpg returned.
I understand that the autos fare worse on fuel economy and are much less rewarding to drive.

3) Is the rarer 6-speed manual gearbox pretty robust and can it cope with high mileages?

The M66 gearbox is bulletproof. However a common failure point in the transmission is the driveshafts, they are known suffer premature failure if the car is lowered and running more power than standard. Good replacements aren't cheap...

4) Do the 2.4 D5 engined cars feel a lot more nose-heavy and 'understeery' than the smaller engined cars?

In my experience of also owning a 2.0D I'd say no difference at all, however the 320mm brakes as standard are a significant improvement over the 300mm or smaller brakes. As for understeer, you can make significant improvements if you are willing to fit lowering springs/coilovers and a stiffer rear anti-roll bar.

5) How are the D5 models on front tyres?

Hungry. Depending on YOUR driving style, but the torque on tap can spin wheels even on a standard power car. Clutch control is key.

6) I've seen that some models have a USB connector in the centre console but most only have an AUX IN socket. Is the stereo able to play MP3 files directly from CD or the USB port or do you have to connect a separate MP3 player or stream from a phone etc?

The USB port can be used to play music from smartphones and a USB stick, not sure about mp3s on CDs. I haven't tried to be honest.

7) Finally, as I will be looking at a higher mileage car (130k+) around 10 years old, are there any major issues to look out for?

Okay, so the timing belt NEEDS to be done and especially along with the two aux belts and tensioners at the 100k miles/10 year mark.
Aux belt failure can cause the timing belt to jump timing if one of them gets sucked into that area - this will smash up the engine's cylinder head internals. This is a known killer of the D5 engine but lesser known is the failure of the aux belt tensioners themselves, I know of at least one person whose had one snap off the block - incredibly rare how that should occur, but the pulleys run on bearings and if one seizes there could be some incredible forces involved.

Apologies for lots of queries, but any pointers and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Can't think of much else D5 specific but all in all they are solid engines.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 15:39   #7
Jerry1975

Cool

Thanks for the replies FunkyMelon & Yobbo!

Interesting hearing about the HID upgrade and at such a reasonable cost too. Are they completely MOT legal?

I've also seen the MP3 FM transmitter devices on eBay for peanuts so this could be an easy solution.

I'll be sure to check out any cars I look at for rattles from the drivetrain that could be a worn DMF etc.

With regard to the fuel consumption thing if you look at pre-facelift D5s the official MPG figures are 21.2 urban, 41.5 extra-urban and 30.7 combined, which is horrendous for a diesel. I was thinking it might be due to the older version of the Geartronic 'box but then the facelift cars are 29.1/52.3/40.4??!

The manual stats are better still at 34.0/55.4/44.8 and by the sounds of things these claims don't look too far off

Thanks for the tip on the driveshafts too. I can imagine that they must be under some serious strain given the torque.

On a couple of the cars I've seen the electric window motors didn't sound too strong/healthy. Are these prone to failing and if so, are they an easy/cheap fix?

Also, some models seem to have an upgraded audio system. Which models get these as standard and how can you tell it apart from the standard stereo?

Are the speakers easy to upgrade too? Or do you need to start worrying about amps, fiddly wiring and MDF mounting brackets?

J
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 16:01   #8
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies FunkyMelon & Yobbo!

Interesting hearing about the HID upgrade and at such a reasonable cost too. Are they completely MOT legal?
No, no aftermarket xenons/HIDs are MOT compliant anymore. Fortunately as these headlights are so easy to work on (literally a tent peg and the whole thing slides out) you can swap them back very quickly. I did this for an MOT a few months back, even left the ballasts cable tucked in there and it passed fine.

Quote:
With regard to the fuel consumption thing if you look at pre-facelift D5s the official MPG figures are 21.2 urban, 41.5 extra-urban and 30.7 combined, which is horrendous for a diesel. I was thinking it might be due to the older version of the Geartronic 'box but then the facelift cars are 29.1/52.3/40.4??!
Manuals are better on MPG and to be fair, it's a 2.4, 5 cylinder, they're still pretty big.....

Quote:
On a couple of the cars I've seen the electric window motors didn't sound too strong/healthy. Are these prone to failing and if so, are they an easy/cheap fix?
Can't say it's hugely common. The earlier pre-facelift models sometimes have an issue with the passenger side left connector wiggling loose/corroding though. That loom controls the electric windows, central locking and outside temperature. Generally taking it out and cleaning it up and reinserting fixes this - The later models had gold plated contacts that stopped this problem. If the windows or central locking on that side of the car stop it'll be that.

Quote:
Also, some models seem to have an upgraded audio system. Which models get these as standard and how can you tell it apart from the standard stereo?
Not sure which come standard but even a base model car could be specified with a high performance stereo new so you'll only know by turning it on. It'll have the high performance system on the screen when you turn it on. If it's the Dolby Logic system (highest spec) it'll have an additional speaker in the centre of the dash.

Quote:
Are the speakers easy to upgrade too? Or do you need to start worrying about amps, fiddly wiring and MDF mounting brackets?
If you get anything other than the base system, you won't need too They're really good!
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 17:36   #9
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Cant add much more to what my colleagues had already said
Stock lights indeed can be artrocious but thanks to Fords genius design (only thing in this volvo&ford marriage I love) taking them out is literally 5 second job. Had a chat with 2007 S60 owner recently and he was cursing on the process of replacing simple headlamp bulb on his... :P
anyway - retrofit is always possible. Sometimes its even advised :P see my before and after pic, u will get it...

As FM said its a bit gray area (not MOT lega) BUT if retrofitted only projectors with H7, easy to revert back or just keep it H7 all the time. Or you can do like me and have separate set of headlamps for MOT purposes :P

btw stereo and your question - when you start the car it tells you what model it is (performance, premium, dolby PL2 etc). Although it lacks aux in/usb, the factory system is amazing, atleast in my Dolby PL2 version - 12 speakers with sub in the back - I never complained nor had urge to change it. If only it was easier to put external music in it.... eh... FM transmitter as said above -your cheap and cheerful friend :}
Attached Images
File Type: jpg difference.jpg (116.0 KB, 62 views)
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 12:14   #10
andyv40turbo

2008 d5 auto, average mpg (according to readout) 37 mpg. This is mostly short (10 miles) communiting and darting around county lanes. 40+ mpg on motorways However mine needs a service and better tyres should see slight improvement on this.