Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Botched LPG Installation?

Views : 1707

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2011, 20:38   #1
400-ascona
Premier Member

Default Botched LPG Installation?

Not sure if I am expecting too much, but I would be ashamed if I produced work like I got from the garage in Ripley that installed my LPG kit for me.
So, from the beginning.......

A year ago, I had a Lima VSI kit installed on our T6. The installation was extremely neat, and the only concern I had was that the gas injectors seemed to be 5 or 6 inches away from where they entered the manifold next the petrol injectors.

However I drove the car for a while and all seemed fine. During the colder months the car would occasionally cut out when it switched over to gas, and on full throttle it would switch back to petrol. There was also a smell of LPG around the car all the time. Since the car went back on the road (after the gearbox swap), it has run a lot better, and although the swap to gas still isn’t smooth, it doesn’t stall, and doesn’t cut back over to petrol on full throttle.
So I booked it in for its first year service today, and discussed having the injectors moved nearer to the inlet manifold. He agreed, but reluctantly. This is what they have now done:

Just off the picture there is a large scratch on the slam panel that wasn’t there before I dropped it off today! I am happy with not having the engine cover fitted, but not happy with the neatness of the installation now, and.......

This is the 1 to 3 injector block. The bracket is fouling hard on the pipes that run from the injectors to the inlet, and the bracket is only supported at one end, and so is free to move. The pipes from the injectors to the inlet manifold are not only fouling they are also all different lengths (is this OK?).

This is the feed pipe to the 1 to 3 injectors, which is unsecured at any point. It is also connected to the free end of the injector rail, and therefore causing it to deflect.

This is the 4 to 6 injector block. The only thing that is wrong (maybe?) is all the pipes are different lengths.
Not clear from the pictures, but an existing vacuum pipe has been “T” into to feed a module fitted to the passenger side inner wing, that is then electrically connected to the LPG ECU. This was as per the original installation, but I think I remembered Dai saying this wasn’t good practice?
To round off he told me he had serviced (does anyone know how much the filters are?) and remapped the system (I was under the impression that the system merely mimicked the petrol injector signal, and so didn’t need to be mapped?). For all this I was surprised to get a bill for £135 (I was told first service was included in the original installation price and felt that the injector re-position was o cure a fault with original installation).
When I drove off, the first thing I noticed is that the switch over temperature has been changed. The engine was almost at full temperature before it switched, whereas before it switched at only ¼ on the gauge. If none of this is acceptable, I will fix myself. I am sure at some point here I have vented my distrust of Garages based on my experiences, and this has done nothing to improve my opinion.
Am I being overly sensitive, or is this as bad as I believe it to be?

Rob.

Last edited by 400-ascona; May 25th, 2011 at 22:09.
400-ascona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 23:22   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Not the worst I have seen by far. They have put some effort in to making the install neat but have let themselfs down with component locations.

The injector pipes should all be close to the same length but slight variation is not the of world, worse still would be major uneven positioning of the manifold nossles. The pipes do look like they will rub trough and something will need to be done about that really. The fact the injectors are not ridged is ok, most injectors are mounted on rubber blocks. I would reposition the injectors to get the cover back on even if you have to slightly adjust the positioning to get it to fit.

The vac pipe T sounds like it is the vapouriser and MAP sensor connected together if that is the case that is correct. The pick up for those should not be T'd into an existing line.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2011, 23:13   #3
400-ascona
Premier Member

Had a quick go at sorting it enough to get me through the next few days trip to the seaside. Removed the bracket from the 1 to 3 injector, and it was already starting to wear the pipe. I also found out why it smells of gas, 3 of the 6 injectors have loose Oetieker hose clips!