Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 324676

Replies : 3020

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2018, 17:47   #1431
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Mine does
And also warns me if something is a "pass" but may need doing over next few months.
I think I'll pop in soon so he can check underside for me- between official MOTs, but I'll rather be safe than sorry.. Got 2 weeks to make sure she'll go few thousand miles next month.
Have a good trip, were are you going?
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 18:40   #1432
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Nothing big

London=>Zakopane=>Lublin=>Augustow=>London

Around 3000miles.

Stopping for few days in each, overall 2 weeks trip.

Difficulty... On 8th I'm leaving for France, workwise. Return on 19th, and next departure on 21st.
I'm not driving to France, so I don't court that in.

Last edited by ThomasG; Jun 20th, 2018 at 19:57.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 07:04   #1433
Javaman365
Arthur Daley's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
The brand of base you have makes a massive difference... we looked at several, most were a complete faff and didn't fit that securely for one reason or another so in the end settled for the Maxi Cosi 2-Way fix base as the IsoFix clamps are infinitely adjustable and also extend quite far out the back of the base, thus locating it in the V70 is really quite simple then it's a case of pushing it back in to the backrest and it's absolutely solid. Really is a fantastic piece of kit and I swap it from her V50 to my V70 with no issues.
Joie 360 Spin, all integrated.
The clamps extend quite a bit, but I just had trouble with the sheer amount of padding on the seats squeezing the arms through the backrest and squab. All good though now.
Javaman365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 08:25   #1434
Longhouse21
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebb View Post
... How many let you do that
Dave
Like others, I've used the same service garage for MOT and any repairs I can't do myself for a number of years (just over 20 I think). They're very firm but very fair.
He's fitted new equipment in the last couple of years including remote operated shaker plates to the new 4 post ramp. I got invited under for a demo last year, I even get offered a cup of tea when I drop in! Now THAT'S service with a smile...
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 09:32   #1435
Turbodave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaman365 View Post
Joie 360 Spin, all integrated.
The clamps extend quite a bit, but I just had trouble with the sheer amount of padding on the seats squeezing the arms through the backrest and squab. All good though now.
Ahhh yes, I see where you're coming from now... yes, the V70 seats are quite padded so takes a bit of effort to locate the IsoFix arms, her V50 is much easier. You can buy little spacers that clip to the brackets in the car and hold the seat padding out the way, however I found they fouled the actually base when it was pushed back and thus it wasn't sat as tight in the seat as without.

I did buy a Joie seat, just the standard i-size as it came with a free IsoFix base and thus actually worked out cheaper then buying a new MaxiCosi i-size seat and using our existing MaxiCosi IsoFix base but I found it to be a faff, the sheer size of it and the fact the harness needed two hands to adjust made for some stressful situations getting him in it... so returned it, bought a MaxiCosi 2-Way Pearl and used the existing base we had and much happier with it, seems to fit a little more snuggly in both cars however yes, we did look at the Joie 360 and it seems like a great idea... more so given the wee man weighs about 4 tons thus loading him isn't easy!
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 12:09   #1436
js7799
250K and Counting

Had my first go with Seafoam yesterday. Used it in the gas tank only as still a bit skittish using it on an almost 230K mile motor. I'm thinking the extra gunk in there is keeping the oil from leaking out. Drove home from work yesterday (~60 miles) and near the end of the journey, the car wouldn't idle. It died a few times at roundabouts before I finally got home. Left it parked overnight and today there are no issues to report. I'm going to change the fuel filter though, just to be safe.
2002 Volvo V70
2009 Volvo V70 SE 2.0
js7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 12:47   #1437
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

When was your fuel filter last changed?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 15:17   #1438
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

And story continues...
Today...
I went to my MOT centre for check-up (NOT MOT)
And found out about split CV gaiter, outer..

Asked for quotation at nearby garage (the very one that charged me £350 for cambelt and water pump last year).. Quote £80.

And I wonder: its not a huge sum.. But by spending it, the only experience I'll gain will be spending it.
So is such a job something I could pull off on my drive? Am I up to it? I hope CheshireD5 has a YouTube movie on it..

Will decide later.

In the meantime, as HU803 only accepts up to 10 playlists on "cd changer" aka iPod dock.. I organised 2 more iPods. This should give me 3 "music cartridges" that are easy to swap. 30 playlists and 20GB total capacity.

Now my gtkpod app under Ubuntu wouldn't write to these 2 new ones.. Too new.
And I wonder again.. Shall I dig in the loft for some laptop, go trough pains of installing winXP and itunes?
Would Vida work on such a thing? Maybe older Vida? Is there a point?
That gets it to 3 things that I'd need windows for:
Vida
ITunes (I feel dirty just from saying this word)
HikVision CCTV systems.

Clock isn't slowing down.

Oh, and I'm writing it as I'm waiting for new rubbers to be fitted and balanced on front wheels. I may swap them round with rear later. Rears are maybe month old.

Last edited by ThomasG; Jun 21st, 2018 at 15:20.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 16:42   #1439
big_yin

Got the car in at Kwikfit to get the aircon recharged.
Never got round it after changing the condenser last time and was going to do it after the MOT.
Unfortunately it is not holding it's vacuum so need to get this checked out first.
Will have search on the forum to see what options I have for this leak finding and prices.
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 17:53   #1440
davebb
Premier Member

[QUOTE=big_yin;2416809]Got the car in at Kwikfit to get the aircon recharged.
Never got round it after changing the condenser last time and was going to do it after the MOT.
Unfortunately it is not holding it's vacuum so need to get this checked out first.
Will have search on the forum to see what options I have for this leak finding and prices.[/QUO
When you changed the condenser, did you fit new O-rings, because you did not re-fill o-rings may gone dry and not sealing
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davebb For This Useful Post: