Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dai at classic Sweede

Views : 2688

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2012, 09:56   #1
Thanatos
VOC Member

Default Dai at classic Sweede

Dai where are those Ce numbers from the tanks as i haven't had any numbers off you to check what the tanks are rated to I must presume that the tanks are not tested in accordance with the rules and regulations. And have never been tested

Please put the Ce numbers up of both tanks and where you got them from as I want to ask them how there tested.
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 12:06   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

Andy, BS ISO 20826:2006 is a good starting point "Automotive LPG components - Containers" at sixty pages it's a heavy read but covers what you are looking for - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 20:11   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Information can be found here
http://www.stako.pl/index.php?id=iso&lang=en

The standards are pretty much the same.

Andy are you aware of how most QA is done these days?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 21:32   #4
Thanatos
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Information can be found here
http://www.stako.pl/index.php?id=iso&lang=en

The standards are pretty much the same.

Andy are you aware of how most QA is done these days?
yeah i am

Last edited by Thanatos; Jul 27th, 2012 at 21:34.
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 00:14   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I've had a quick google on the specs and nothing much comes up.

This thread on the LPG forum
http://lpgforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?...10818&start=15

From our conversation I got the feeling you had never had any involvment is QA or QC. - As you do have some understanding then you will be aware that in most cases parts are not individualy tested and only samples are taken off the line for testing. This might not be the case with LPG tanks but from experiance it must be. As an installer you can not trust anything and must check and leak test.
In some cases iso 9001 I think a tested faulty part will actualy still be sent to a customer because it is within the tolerance alowed for faulty parts! Where is the sense in that!

Companies like ICI are very keen on testing. Any part needed will be made twice, one to test to maximum pressure and one to test to destruction. Used to be great fun making vessals for them.

If you do find the full specs for the LPG tank testing i would be interested in having a read.
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 00:17   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Oh and with asking about the pressure gauge, just to back up the long conversation on how it is just not possible to have a pressure gauge is explained here.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/about_5428024_...re-gauges.html

It is mainly refering to domestic use but idea is teh same.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 01:46   #7
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Oh and with asking about the pressure gauge, just to back up the long conversation on how it is just not possible to have a pressure gauge is explained here.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/about_5428024_...re-gauges.html

It is mainly refering to domestic use but idea is teh same.
Sorry to stick my nose in here but having spent the best part of 35 Years with Brit Gas the above is ^^^^^^^^^ NOT STRICTLY TRUE!!

Look at the face of the propane pressure gauge that SHOULD be fitted to your LPG tank. Find the needle inside the gauge. The end or point of the needle will face a specific point between numbers. This represents the current pressure reading of the propane tank. If the needle points between two numbers, estimate the number based on the location of the needle. For example, if the needle points halfway between 30 and 40, you can estimate that the reading is 35 per cent, the amount of propane remaining in the tank (or the tank is 35% full).

To Calculate the number of Litres of propane left in the tank based on the pressure reading of the gauge. Multiply the per cent reading of the gauge expressed as a decimal by the capacity of the propane tank. For example, if you have a 120-Litre propane tank and the gauge reading is 35 per cent, multiply 120 by .35 to get 42 Litres This figure represents the actual amount of propane left in the tank.......

The above (Of Course) is totally irrelevant to your "driving distance" .. if you look at yer gauge situated on the tank & see the Needle is at 50% you know yer Half Full & will need to top up with the next 100 miles or so ...

& YES ALL lpg tanks fitted to a Motor vehicle MUST have a "Content" gauge installed
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 20:24   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
Sorry to stick my nose in here but having spent the best part of 35 Years with Brit Gas the above is ^^^^^^^^^ NOT STRICTLY TRUE!!

Look at the face of the propane pressure gauge that SHOULD be fitted to your LPG tank. Find the needle inside the gauge. The end or point of the needle will face a specific point between numbers. This represents the current pressure reading of the propane tank. If the needle points between two numbers, estimate the number based on the location of the needle. For example, if the needle points halfway between 30 and 40, you can estimate that the reading is 35 per cent, the amount of propane remaining in the tank (or the tank is 35% full).

To Calculate the number of Litres of propane left in the tank based on the pressure reading of the gauge. Multiply the per cent reading of the gauge expressed as a decimal by the capacity of the propane tank. For example, if you have a 120-Litre propane tank and the gauge reading is 35 per cent, multiply 120 by .35 to get 42 Litres This figure represents the actual amount of propane left in the tank.......

The above (Of Course) is totally irrelevant to your "driving distance" .. if you look at yer gauge situated on the tank & see the Needle is at 50% you know yer Half Full & will need to top up with the next 100 miles or so ...

& YES ALL lpg tanks fitted to a Motor vehicle MUST have a "Content" gauge installed
Oops How embaressing! Pointing out you have spent nearly 35 years with British gas and you have got the wrong end of the stick about what the level gauge does on an LPG tank. It is exactly that a level gauge not a pressure gauge. As mentioned in the previous link LPG turns to liquid when compressed. Temperature is the main cause of pressure change in an LPG cylinder.

This link explains how a domestic tank level gauge works
http://www.propane101.com/floatgauge.htm

And no there is no requirment for a automotive LPG tank to have a level gauge fitted but it is standard practice to do so.
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 23:27   #9
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Oops How embaressing! Pointing out you have spent nearly 35 years with British gas and you have got the wrong end of the stick about what the level gauge does on an LPG tank. It is exactly that a level gauge not a pressure gauge. As mentioned in the previous link LPG turns to liquid when compressed. Temperature is the main cause of pressure change in an LPG cylinder.

This link explains how a domestic tank level gauge works
http://www.propane101.com/floatgauge.htm

And no there is no requirment for a automotive LPG tank to have a level gauge fitted but it is standard practice to do so.
Oh!! OK then

But who mentioned a "Level" gauge .. Wasn't ME!!! if you read the post I referred to a "Bourden Type" PRESSURE gauge (which is a "Standard" fitting on an Automotive LPG tank Connector
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae

Last edited by The Hooded Claw; Jul 28th, 2012 at 23:31.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 08:15   #10
jayhl7

Cool bourbon Isn't that a biscuit?

I like to dunk them in my coffee! but you have to be careful as too many dunks leaves you with soggy biscuit at the bottom of your cup!

with regard to the Lpg level indicator's on cars The wife's Shogun has a damn near perfect system, The Light indicator is spot on when it says 1/2 thats what you have Etc, however on my V70 the first light goes out after 30-40 miles, and with the last light on I can drive 100-150 miles! Cheers Jay
jayhl7 is offline   Reply With Quote