Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 recharge MY21 - how many amps?

Views : 941

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2021, 19:37   #1
santasangria

Default V60 recharge MY21 - how many amps?

I share a garage with a total of 14 cars, three are now PHEVs. We haven't had any problems yet with only two charging at the same time but...

I am trying to work out what current my V60 pulls but I don't understand... the early V60 PHEVs had a control unit and could choose 6,12 or 16 amps - but the newer recharge models are just 16 amps - is that right?
santasangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2021, 21:45   #2
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santasangria View Post
I share a garage with a total of 14 cars, three are now PHEVs. We haven't had any problems yet with only two charging at the same time but...

I am trying to work out what current my V60 pulls but I don't understand... the early V60 PHEVs had a control unit and could choose 6,12 or 16 amps - but the newer recharge models are just 16 amps - is that right?
How are you charging? Are you using a proper wired in car charger or the supplied lead with 13amp plug?

What car is it? New shape V60 or the old shape V60 D6 PHEV?
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5; 2016 XC90 T8
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2021, 09:42   #3
tdw197

I’d assume it depends on your charging rate, they max out at 3.6Kw IIRC, 240v that’s about 16Amps. Minimum charging rate is 1.6kw, which is 6A. My charger and XC60 is able to vary between those rates, a Granny charger will be fixed at 1.6-1.7.

That assumes you get 240v..
tdw197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2021, 11:16   #4
Harni

If you’re using the 3 pin plug charger, I think it maxes out at 3kw which is 13 amp anyway, the maximum you should be putting through a normal wall socket. If you’re charging via a proper car charger, the car will limit charging to a maximum of 3.7kw which is 16amp. You can’t charge any quicker than that.
Harni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2021, 12:21   #5
santasangria

MY21 as in the subject line.
Using the supplied Volvo cable to a domestic socket.

In the manual for the MY16 V60 it says there is a control unit that can be set for ”different intensity loads” 6-16 amps: https://www.volvocars.com/lb/support...arging-current

In the MY21 V60 recharge manual the info is different, basically vague, no mention of being able to limit the current: https://www.volvocars.com/lb/support...arging-current

I am confused and trying to understand what current my car will pull if e.g. there is another car also trying to pull 16 amps (?) from the same domestic ring?
Old Dec 19th, 2021, 13:01   #6
Harni

Quote:

In the manual for the MY16 V60 it says there is a control unit that can be set for ”different intensity loads” 6-16 amps: https://www.volvocars.com/lb/support...arging-current

In the MY21 V60 recharge manual the info is different, basically vague, no mention of being able to limit the current: https://www.volvocars.com/lb/support...arging-current

I am confused and trying to understand what current my car will pull if e.g. there is another car also trying to pull 16 amps (?) from the same domestic ring?
Your car will pull whatever amps it needs based on a number of factors unlike the older ones. This would be things such as temperature, current battery level etc

What it won’t do is manage the current draw from the house so if you intend on charging multiple cars on the same ring main, I would speak to your electrician first as generally diversify is applied to load on house circuits but I’m sure two cars drawing up to 13a on the same ring main wouldn’t allow much for anything else!
Harni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2021, 13:27   #7
Tony H

Quote:
If it is a domestic 3 pin plug then the max you should be able to draw would be 13A any more and the fuse in the plug should blow.

How is the garage wired? A ring main? A spur? (Where is it metered and how is the bill divided by 14 other users?)

Where is the circuit breaker? What current is it rated at? Most ring mains should be 30-32A. So if you plug in 3 PHEVs you will be at (and over) the capacity of the circuit very quickly.
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2021, 15:19   #8
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:

As others have said you should not draw anything more than 13amps from a socket. No charger with a 13amp moulded plug should ever be designed to draw more than 13amps. UK nominal single phase voltage is now 230v so 13amps is just a smidge under 3kW.

The older leads allowed you to adjust the draw from 6amp to 10amp. I think the newer leads are fixed at 10amps (ie not adjustable).

As to earlier cars saying that they change between 6 and 16 amps, then this cannot be with a plug in lead. The 16amps would only ever be achievable with a fixed charging unit such as a POD point. This would be fused at the board at 16amps and deliver up to 3.7kW at 230v.

However smart the car or however smart the lead it aint going to know what else is plugged into the circuit, so plug in 3 cars all pulling 10 or 13amps and it is most likely to blow a 32amp breaker.
Old Dec 19th, 2021, 15:22   #9
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:

The simple answer is that it will pull exactly the same whether other cars are plugged in or not. It doesn't know.
Old Dec 19th, 2021, 19:47   #10
santasangria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
As others have said you should not draw anything more than 13amps from a socket. No charger with a 13amp moulded plug should ever be designed to draw more than 13amps. UK nominal single phase voltage is now 230v so 13amps is just a smidge under 3kW.

The older leads allowed you to adjust the draw from 6amp to 10amp. I think the newer leads are fixed at 10amps (ie not adjustable).

As to earlier cars saying that they change between 6 and 16 amps, then this cannot be with a plug in lead. The 16amps would only ever be achievable with a fixed charging unit such as a POD point. This would be fused at the board at 16amps and deliver up to 3.7kW at 230v.

However smart the car or however smart the lead it aint going to know what else is plugged into the circuit, so plug in 3 cars all pulling 10 or 13amps and it is most likely to blow a 32amp breaker.
Thanks for this. And for other replies. Makes sense.

Where I am it’s 220-240v 16a mains (Finland ).
Volvo’s literature says ”depending on the region” in the small print, hence I understand my motor is capable of 16amp draw.

Further investigation today revealed our garage has 6 separate circuits for the outlet pairs, in addition to separate circuits for the doors, heated floor, air pump and lights. All the fuses are 16 amp (except higher for the floor heating).

Only two cars actively charging. And we are on different circuits with our own fuse (the other is a v90 my17 t8).

The electricity company has aleady quoted us to fit charge stations so we can automatically monitor and get billed - it’s XLS until then.

So, it’s all good. And minus 5 tonight. Carplay works. Only prob now is one of the kids’ seats is a poor fit and I’ve got a little brake sponge squeak on my mind

Tx again