Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 1.9D pressurising water system

Views : 1591

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 12:56   #11
Munster732

Thanks for all the help, plan of attack is to work my way round the coolant system with hose pipe to try and find any blockages. Will also remove thermostat in that procedure to be thorough. Might not get round to it until the weekend due to having no light after work.
Just ordered a new expansion cap, for a few quid I'd rather discard that as a possible issue.
Will update as and when at the weekend

Wayne
Munster732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 13:31   #12
Grumpywurzel
Gert Navy Bouy

Hopefully it will just be the thermostat stuck shut, possibly the radiator is blocked too mate, worth a check
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 18:22   #13
bongodave
I've Been Banned

Pressure cap is also a good-call. Hope you find it mate and sure you will if all bases are covered. My money's on the thermostat.
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 19:36   #14
Munster732

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
See if this is of any help. Searching VIDA now for 90possible causes of your problem

got off work a bit early today so has a hour or so with the dirty derv. The diagram above shows the two pipes that come from the back of the thermostat housing. The picture shows the top one is the larger diameter pipe(no 10 in pict) and goes to the inlet of the heater matrix. the bottom one that shows as a smaller diameter pipe (no 31 in pict) and goes to the U shaped jobby with the two electrical probes...no idea what it is or does lol

On my car the larger diameter pipe is the bottom one, not as the diag shows. I checked another v40 today and that was the same also.
so is the diagram wrong or am I just going maaad
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 21:40   #15
Baffler
Premier Member

Top (inlet) hose should be smaller in diameter, bottom (outlet) should be larger.

That housing with the glow plugs is an auxiliary coolant heater which, I imagine, is available for colder climates. It's not on my S40 either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coolant heater.JPG (92.0 KB, 10 views)

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 21:56   #16
Munster732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Top (inlet) hose should be smaller in diameter, bottom (outlet) should be larger.

That housing with the glow plugs is an auxiliary coolant heater which, I imagine, is available for colder climates. It's not on my S40 either.
aaah, cheers mate. At least ive learned something today lol.
Old Jan 25th, 2014, 15:54   #17
Munster732

Well, a totally unproductive few hours, left me scratching my head and kicking the imaginary dog in frustration.
Im gonna ask a completely obvious and stupid set of questions as now I cant see the wood for the trees and am doubting everything I do.

Took off rad top and bottom hose and hosed it through top to bottom, totally clear and flowing. Then removed the thermostat, on putting it back together the housing wouldn't seal without a thermostat in it so that kinda knackered that idea. tried it with the seal alone but wasn't sealing. Did notice that it was a gen Volvo one that was fitted, with the mentioned nipple for orientation. It was looking a bit past it, the seal was all chewed up so decided to replace. The new one from Euro Car Parts doesn't have a nipple or any way of telling which way is up or down. Threw that in and it sealed but seemed to make no difference at all.
There doesn't seem to be a proper circulation, so stupid question no 1. on following the hose from exp tank it goes down the inner wing then into a T piece that splits, one way to rad bottom hose connection and other to front off engine block, oil cooler pipes etc
So does the flow go into bottom of rad and out the top or vice versa? I always thought it was in the top and out the bottom, but im blind now with frustration.
Car isn't overheating but isn't getting a return supply to the expansion tank at all.
So where to now, as ive bled it and bled it, had every pipe just about off and still no wiser

can anyone send me an idiots copy of the vadis diagram with flow direction or just tell me which way so I don't go bonkers.
I hate this car now!
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 19:36   #18
Deane

Default Post

Did you find the problem I have exactly the same symptoms on my v40. Have been all over it everything points to a blockage in the coolant but can’t find it.
Deane is offline   Reply With Quote