Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Good de-greasers, off the shelf or homemade

Views : 557

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2019, 18:12   #1
T5Sweep
Master Member

Default Good de-greasers, off the shelf or homemade

I have a 531 cylinder head I'm rebuilding and would like to give it a damn good clean first as it's pretty grimy, can anyone recommend a quality de-greaser? Or even if you have some homemade concoction that works well?

Ben.
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 19:40   #2
ksmi
Master Member

Cool Looks like new?

Evening Ben, If you have something large enough,or can cobble something together,NOT in the kitchen! Give it a good boil with some detergent. Failing this I recon Jizer is much better than Gunk,let it soak in, over night. But of course if you know a friendly transport yard with a steam cleaner........

Regards,Keith.
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 21:19   #3
LankyTim
Missing the point

Oven cleaner is good... the stuff that need gloves to use safely is the best.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 00:40   #4
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Brake cleaner, by the 5 litre jerry can
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barrybritcher For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 08:57   #5
T5Sweep
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmi View Post
Evening Ben, If you have something large enough,or can cobble something together,NOT in the kitchen! Give it a good boil with some detergent. Failing this I recon Jizer is much better than Gunk,let it soak in, over night. But of course if you know a friendly transport yard with a steam cleaner........

Regards,Keith.
Yes I bought some Gunk last year and it only really took off loose stuff, WD40 did the same thing! I might have some Jizer in the shed actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyTim View Post
Oven cleaner is good... the stuff that need gloves to use safely is the best.
Interesting, I'll see what I can find thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
Brake cleaner, by the 5 litre jerry can
Will this not eat away at the aluminium?
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 13:13   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5Sweep View Post
I have a 531 cylinder head I'm rebuilding and would like to give it a damn good clean first as it's pretty grimy, can anyone recommend a quality de-greaser? Or even if you have some homemade concoction that works well?

Ben.
paraffin with a paint brush will get most of the oily gunge off ..

Then what the trade use is Traffic Film Remover , ( TFR) you can get this from a motor factor or trade supplier , Euro Car Parts should have it , you dilute it 33% to 50% with water and spray it on with a hand spray bottle , dirt just falls off .

Brake cleaner just removes surface oil / grease and leaves the component dry .
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 15:50   #7
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
paraffin with a paint brush will get most of the oily gunge off ..

Then what the trade use is Traffic Film Remover , ( TFR) you can get this from a motor factor or trade supplier , Euro Car Parts should have it , you dilute it 33% to 50% with water and spray it on with a hand spray bottle , dirt just falls off .

Brake cleaner just removes surface oil / grease and leaves the component dry .
I use TFR neat, stiff brissle parts cleaner brush and a vigorous rub in a bath of TFR. Lift it out and wash off with hose. Repeat if nessesary.
I baught a plastic storage box to use as a parts washing bath, once finished put the lid on and secure and it can live outside if needed.

Last 25lt of TFR I baught recently was £17 + vat which makes it about the cheapest about. Use rubber gloves when useing it as it will take your skin off if you don't. Do not use it over tarmac as it will take the oil out of the tar and the gravel will brush out.

Few years ago I used it to clean a crossflow block that had stood for 12 years. Took the hardened oil off the galleries with no problem after a soak and pulling a small bottle brush through them.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 15:55   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
I use TFR neat, stiff brissle parts cleaner brush and a vigorous rub in a bath of TFR. Lift it out and wash off with hose. Repeat if nessesary.
I baught a plastic storage box to use as a parts washing bath, once finished put the lid on and secure and it can live outside if needed.

Last 25lt of TFR I baught recently was £17 + vat which makes it about the cheapest about. Use rubber gloves when useing it as it will take your skin off if you don't. Do not use it over tarmac as it will take the oil out of the tar and the gravel will brush out.

Few years ago I used it to clean a crossflow block that had stood for 12 years. Took the hardened oil off the galleries with no problem after a soak and pulling a small bottle brush through them.

Paul.

If you have an alloy cylinder block with lots of brown staining inside , household paint stripper brings it up shining ....
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 17:23   #9
Cookeh
Premier Member

Oven cleaner is great but degrades aluninium (you end up with a stained matt finish). TFR is my personal go to, works very well. Another greater option is NoNonsense degreaser, that strips almost anything.

If you want eco-/health-friendly steam is amazing. Even a cheap £15-20 steamer can be used to great effect.