Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vida

Views : 1161

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 19:34   #11
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsing View Post
It might be "in VIDA' but it doesn't do anything to actively tell me this.
Unless you're a Volvo tech who has been on a course, or you have read the included user manual, you won't know.

It's not a consumer product with overt instructions so you need to put in a little work to get the most out of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 06:39   #12
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Unless you're a Volvo tech who has been on a course, or you have read the included user manual, you won't know.

It's not a consumer product with overt instructions so you need to put in a little work to get the most out of it.
Am I understanding this correctly.

The 13.8v power supply is needed to supply the dice unit as if powering it from the OBD plug you pull the battery voltage down, and less than 11.5v starts to affect the cars system and the readings you get with ignition on and engine off. ?

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 08:27   #13
ASt85
Premier Member

There are Dice installation instructions available as a pdf

https://www.volvotechinfo.com/siteCo...structions.pdf

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 09:41   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Am I understanding this correctly.

The 13.8v power supply is needed to supply the dice unit as if powering it from the OBD plug you pull the battery voltage down, and less than 11.5v starts to affect the cars system and the readings you get with ignition on and engine off. ?

Paul.
No No , the 13.8v is to support the car battery , the Dice is powered via it's own lead , except in some difficult cases when it has a separate 12v power socket which is used .. and may also need the USB connected .
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 11:44   #15
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No No , the 13.8v is to support the car battery , the Dice is powered via it's own lead , except in some difficult cases when it has a separate 12v power socket which is used .. and may also need the USB connected .
I can see where Paul is coming from in his thoughts as I think they are similar to mine.
As stated earlier Vida/dice needs 13.8v to operate correctly: running vida/dice with ignition on will rapidly draw the battery voltage down to sub 12v which will cause car issues which vida/dice will see as "faults" - there are many threads on here about faults caused by nothing more than a failing battery.
It would appear dealers get around this voltage drop issue by attaching an external 13.8v power supply.
I have got around the voltage drop by starting the engine and that generate's the necessary consistant voltage to use the vida/dice.
Unsure why dealers don't do this...unless they are not allowed..??? using customers fuel??

Which I think in a roundabout way is what Paul was thinking???
Cheers
Bob
100K+ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 11:58   #16
cheshired5
Premier Member

To avoid a flat battery or any impact on the battery at all, I have the engine running when Vida is connected to the car unless the task I'm doing specifically requires the engine off. Some TCM resets spring to mind as an example but Vida will tell you if the engine must be off for a given function.

With the engine running, there is no battery drain as the alternator is providing all power and the voltage is constantly regulated.

Because Vida communicates with every available module, there will always be a small risk of corrupted data if using it on car battery power alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 13:38   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
I can see where Paul is coming from in his thoughts as I think they are similar to mine.
As stated earlier Vida/dice needs 13.8v to operate correctly: running vida/dice with ignition on will rapidly draw the battery voltage down to sub 12v which will cause car issues which vida/dice will see as "faults" - there are many threads on here about faults caused by nothing more than a failing battery.
It would appear dealers get around this voltage drop issue by attaching an external 13.8v power supply.
I have got around the voltage drop by starting the engine and that generate's the necessary consistant voltage to use the vida/dice.
Unsure why dealers don't do this...unless they are not allowed..??? using customers fuel??

Which I think in a roundabout way is what Paul was thinking???
Cheers
Bob
software updates can be between half an hour and an hour , it's just not practical , so can diagnostic sessions when you don't want the engine running ..
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 16:13   #18
green van man
Premier Member

Right, think I understand now.

If useing the vida dice and not running the engine, connect a battery charger regulated to 13.8 volts.

Simples

If only understanding the readings was as easy.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 16:26   #19
WhatNext?

so to answer my question on times to run vida ... minimum half an hour for diagnostic?
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 17:44   #20
100K+
Premier Member

Default How long is a piece of string???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke69 View Post
so to answer my question on times to run vida ... minimum half an hour for diagnostic?
I can run a diagnostic in 5 minutes, after computer has started up. However,..... If it detects any issues and you wish to chase them up, that secondary stuff takes extra time.
Si & Clan and probably others can do this secondary stuff say x2 quicker than me, as they know what they are doing, and are regular users. I'm still learning even though I've had access since 2011, and I still believe its all witchcraft, voodoo, and black magic.
But to return to the OP question a diagnostic can be really run very quickly.
Perhaps I'm lucky the only DTC I get on the R is the air quality senor error, and the younger D5 is currently still faultless.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post: