Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 2nd Hand Buy/ Query

Views : 4529

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2019, 19:51   #1
WrathOfKain

Default XC90 2nd Hand Buy/ Query

Greetings,
I am currently looking at a 2007 Volvo XC90 2.4 D5 SE but when looking at its MOT history although it passed last year on the advisories it had:

Offside Play in steering rack inner joint(s) ()
Child Seat fitted not allowing full inspection of adult belt ()
Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)
Offside Front Lower Suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)

What do you think ? is the biggest concern the Oil Leak ? ..... a couple of searches flagged up a number of generic and expensive oil issues.

The other 2004 XC90 model i was looking at turned out to have the core plug/ crankshaft issue.

I understand the 2007 shouldnt suffer from this but just concerned about what it could be.

Its a distance buy i.e. flying down from the highlands of Scotland to SE England so obviously being a bit cautious.

Oh and hello everyone .... looking forward to getting more involved once i buy one of these XC90's.

Kain
WrathOfKain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 18:51   #2
WrathOfKain

Crikey the more i read through this forum the more i am questioning going for an XC90 at all
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 19:04   #3
binty

Question Check out the oil leak

Ok so it will need a couple of lower wishbones, and maybe something on the steering rack, all very sortable for maybe £300-£400 I guess. (wishbones are about £100 each, don't forget the new stretch bolts)

Have a good look at the oil leak, could be a little one from the upper engine, but if it's underneath I would investigate further. The plastic under tray is foam lined, it can hold a lot of oil before it leaks out.
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to binty For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 19:06   #4
Parisien

At that age, what were you expecting!?!
Big heavy car, suspension parts needs renewing more often.

Small oil leak in right place, no worries.

P
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 19:20   #5
WrathOfKain

Quote:
Originally Posted by binty View Post
Ok so it will need a couple of lower wishbones, and maybe something on the steering rack, all very sortable for maybe £300-£400 I guess. (wishbones are about £100 each, don't forget the new stretch bolts)

Have a good look at the oil leak, could be a little one from the upper engine, but if it's underneath I would investigate further. The plastic under tray is foam lined, it can hold a lot of oil before it leaks out.
Hi Binty
Thanks for that, good to get an estimate on that other stuff, hey might not need it for a while yet. I am probably more concerned regards the oil .... unfortunately i am at the other end of the country so best i can do is send a clickmechanic. They have a pretty comprehensive checklist that they do but not sure if they would be able/ capable to check make/model generic issues e.g. swirl flaps after seeing some posts on here. He might just say "oil leak" ?
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 19:31   #6
WrathOfKain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisien View Post
At that age, what were you expecting!?!
Big heavy car, suspension parts needs renewing more often.

Small oil leak in right place, no worries.

P
Hi Parisien
As above more concerned about the oil leak after reading the swirl flap and oil consumption thread on here .... doesnt fill me with positivity. This model ticks a lot of boxes with the 7 seats etc but just worried that of the few posts i read on the two models i was looking at (2004/2007) your at the mercy of a core plug or swirl flap issue. In fact the 2004 I was going to go for ..... the dealership reported it had to be sent away for a core plug/ cranckshaft seal replacement.
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 00:42   #7
okedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathOfKain View Post
Hi Parisien
As above more concerned about the oil leak after reading the swirl flap and oil consumption thread on here .... doesnt fill me with positivity. This model ticks a lot of boxes with the 7 seats etc but just worried that of the few posts i read on the two models i was looking at (2004/2007) your at the mercy of a core plug or swirl flap issue. In fact the 2004 I was going to go for ..... the dealership reported it had to be sent away for a core plug/ cranckshaft seal replacement.
Then the coreplug wont be an issue for you - its been sorted.
okedave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to okedave For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 07:20   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Generally on this forum we don’t bore each other by letting everyone know our car started this morning for the 654th day in a row, so you will generally read about people having problems...

Anyhow it’s all been said, the oil leak might be a concern but the rest is routine for any car of that age really.

I would ask why you are travelling so far - with eBay and autotrader it’s not usually hard to find a choice of cars. They won’t be a bus ride away but probably not a flight....?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 08:08   #9
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

My 2012 was bought with 68k and is now on close to 100k with only a £400 repair that Volvo did under warranty. Everything else has been routine servicing.

Be under no illusion however that you are buying what was close to a 40k car, large and heavy with a fair amount of power.

If the thought of a 1 or 2 grand bill bothers you then I would not entertain one of these vehicles.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 09:20   #10
WrathOfKain

Quote:
Originally Posted by okedave View Post
Then the coreplug wont be an issue for you - its been sorted.
Indeed but when i called them back the next day they said it had been sold

The only crumbs of comfort i am taking is that they had not actually sold it but found more damage which made it uneconomical. I mean it was one conversation early evening and then the next morning .... and someone appeared from nowhere and wanted to buy it while it was being investigated for an oil leak .... coincidental ? .... but yeah when he said it had that generic plug issue and they were going to fix it i was excited

Last edited by WrathOfKain; Sep 28th, 2019 at 10:15.
The Following User Says Thank You to WrathOfKain For This Useful Post: