Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Smart motorways and accidents.

Views : 9242

Replies : 151

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2019, 10:25   #31
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
The idea of a corridor would be excellent , but owners of cars with propeller or 4 ring emblems will simply treat as their personal high speed route through to Nivarna , but in reality it would most likely never work & that would be a shame . Better would be to revert to a hard shoulder as we have had since 1958 when the Preston By-pass opened , until a DI&KHEAD chose otherwise
Now.. it's something I said in some other thread, but I'll reiterate it here..

Poles, as such, in own country, go together like.. like caravan towers and sport cars owners.. like water and fire, like plums and ketchup (with added mustard and followed by a doughnut)...

UK doesn't have monopoly on idiot drivers.

Have a lookie on YouTube, username/poster name "StopCham" (I won't provide links this time, I've got maybe 50MB allowance left until end of month and no WiFi where I am at the moment).

Will give you idea what kind of selfish, stupid, drivers that country has.

And yet it was done.

Don't underestimate power of these stickers.
One above is aimed at graphically explaining "what it is".

How about the other kind? The one that instead of ambulance in that clearroute, has a pile of manure?

Or one that shows an ordinary car there, obviously blocking it, with an arrow pointing to it and word "killer"?

And don't worry about publicity.
As soon as something like this is spotted, there's bound to be someone or some organisation in need of some "in the spotlight" time. Using this to promote themselves, they'll promote idea as well.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 10:39   #32
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Last night, as there was little to watch on the 'boob-toob', I played a programme I recorded (a while back?) for when there was nothing decent on (seems to be a lot of the time!) looking at the history of motorways.

I have to admit that they are a lot safer and better now than they used to be. And some of those accidents (not really any such thing as accidents... they are caused events!) really made my wince.

My brain being what it is (i.e. old and in an old body), I remembered the days when there were more 'public information' type 'adverts' such as closing gates when you go into a field, calling out the coastguard if one saw a person in distress at the seaside and crossing the road with a pram takes time etc.

We don't seem to see those sort of 'adverts' these days (they don't earn income?); but if ones like mentioned above stuck in my brain, perhaps "Life Corridor" ones would with people - especially ones like the Youtube one that ThomasG posted above!

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 11:34   #33
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

You're right, 'CTA'. "Clunk, click, every trip" is another example.

Regards, J.
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 15:08   #34
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Bugger..

With that website..

Looks like anyone can open it.

But not me.

I had "website not found", "IP unresolved", now it redirects me to website of domain provider.

And if I grab any other device- pop! Just like that.
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 15:22   #35
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Probably a long TTL on the DNS (likely 24 hours) and you visited it before it was changed to point to the host server. It will probably start to work for you in a few hours.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 15:59   #36
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheancient View Post

We don't seem to see those sort of 'adverts' these days (they don't earn income?); but if ones like mentioned above stuck in my brain, perhaps "Life Corridor" ones would with people - especially ones like the Youtube one that ThomasG posted above!
To have such a clip, someone needs to make it first.

And I know only 2 ways:

Either someone who has capacity of producing such a clip really, really, really WANTS TO do it...

Or he/she is paid to do it.

And that would introduce someone who "can't do the clip, but really, really, really WABTS TO pay for it".

We won't see such a clip for a while yet..

But in the meantime- how do we get from "here"..to "there"(I mean someone providing a clip)?

Long game.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 16:44   #37
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

If some of 'the powers that be' crawled out of their nice little comfort holes, they could do some simple mathematics (OK maybe not completely "simple") and work out the cost of making such 'public information videos'. And the more explicit (thanks to CGI) the better. And spread the cost over a period of time.

And perhaps all commercial vehicles with a 'flat back' thanks to large doors could be 'persuaded' to have that sign on the back as a reminder. A 'payment' of 1p per litre off diesel should more than pay for the 'advertising' over a period of time. But make the sign a large one so that people don't get too close trying to read it.

And I would bet that the lives/money/etc. saved by less people needing hospitalisation (or worse) would be more than subsequently offset over that period.

I wish I could remember all the salient details now; but, once upon a time, I was on a course (not a 'naughty boy one!) and it was pointed out to us just how much it cost, per fatality, on the road. It was somewhat unsettling.

So, I did a google search and ended up at a statistics website - but I can't go back and use that found address as I've now been recognised and it wants me to pay!

But they reckoned on a cosy of £1m+ per serious accident! I presume that is the total cost with side-effects included.

Just saving one or two lives would make a hefty contribution to 'advertising' through public information 'adverts'.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 17:21   #38
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Post removed, just for now..

I need to sleep on it first.

Last edited by ThomasG; Oct 21st, 2019 at 17:46.
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 19:29   #39
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:

And perhaps all commercial vehicles with a 'flat back' thanks to large doors could be 'persuaded' to have that sign on the back as a reminder. A 'payment' of 1p per litre off diesel should more than pay for the 'advertising' over a period of time. But make the sign a large one so that people don't get too close trying to read it.
Just one for now:

Make the stickers in any conceivable size.

Doesnt have to be huge.
When you're stuck in start stop traffic, you don't need binoculars to see sticker on the back of.. AHH let's say golf.

It's right in front of you.

Lorries may have stickers, even huge ones, but these won't be seen as often. Maybe by other lorry drivers, but not by passenger car drivers.

Because nobody (at least I don't know anyone) likes to sit behind lorry. No matter stationary or not.
And whilst passing lorry, one doesn't really have much time to look what is it, precisely, on its back.

No. Main focus- small stickers.
For passenger cars.
Lorries can join in, too, by all means, but main focus on passenger cars.

One more reason to have these on "small" cars:

Lorries don't sit (or at least rarely) in "fast" lanes. And that's where corridor needs to be. That is where when one car pulls to lanes edge, and driver behind it wonders WHY.. that is where answer to that "why" needs to be provided.

Last edited by ThomasG; Oct 21st, 2019 at 19:31.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 19:17   #40
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:

And perhaps all commercial vehicles with a 'flat back' thanks to large doors could be 'persuaded' to have that sign on the back as a reminder. A 'payment' of 1p per litre off diesel should more than pay for the 'advertising' over a period of time.
I don't think I would be able to secure s "1p off per litre" with shell, bp, Esso etc and so on..

Still, idea of rewarding lorries, or owners(I assume companies). Isn't bad at all

So how about a reward in form of "kind of" advertisement?

Sub-page to lifecorridor.uk let's call it "Supporters and what can you do".

On that- list of things that can be done.
Segregated by importance and difficulty of task.

Simply put- big difficult tasks go by top. And by them- logo (and only logo, no banners) of company that provided this particular help.

Let's say making that clip.
Or broadcasting it/paying for broadcast.
Or hiring a billboard for a week.

Or having stickers on whole fleet of company's vehicles.

Idea is that the more people looks at website, just to find out what it is all about, more people will see these logos.
So.. "kind of" advertisement?