Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 148749

Replies : 929

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2022, 07:51   #781
Andys101

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo-express View Post
Hi all,

Was at Lakes today and with help from another regular at Lakes we converted the unused section of the 850/V70 light cluster.

Just thought it would be fun to do......what do you guys think!?
I like that, got any more info?
Andys101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2022, 09:39   #782
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Had my first calamity with the 850R yesterday! Went to fill up with fuel and the flap didn't unlock

We had a boot full of shopping, so we had to go home to empty the boot before I could use the internal pull ring to manually pop open the catch. It was a bit stiff, but the flap opened ok and its opened every time afterwards...? I don't think it was frozen - it wasn't that cold at the time.

Do the locking pins need lubrication? Can they be lubricated? I've never had this problem on any Volvo in 30+ years so its new to me, but Volvo have predicted it by fitting that fantastic ring-pull as std equipment.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2022, 10:53   #783
Simmy
Premier Member

yes iv had fuel door sticking in cold weather more so if the car has recently been washed use a good dry lube like the ones they use on cycles.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2022, 19:25   #784
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Went to start the V70 Tdi and it was rather reluctant to do so. Most unusual since it normally starts within a turn or so whatever the British weather throws at it. When it did start it ws rather rough at first but soon settled down. Something wasn't quite right.

Once it had warmed up, the giveaway was the odd whiff of diesel whilst driving at which point I remembered this had happened before. Sure enough, on removing the engine cover I found what I was expecting; a leaking injector spill off hose. I usually carry a length of the stuff with me and had enough to replace the suspect looking one which seemed to sort it.

When these hoses leak, air finds its way into the system which makes the engine hard to start. I'll replace the rest of them tomorrow.

The original hoses lasted 18 years and 220,000 miles and were only replaced because I had to remove the cylinder head and injectors. Replacements seem to last a year or two if I'm lucky. Admittedly they're not genuine Volvo ones but Diesel spill-off hose bought from Halfords in some haste.

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi Auto
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2022, 12:08   #785
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Hoses now replaced and all seems well.

Martin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2022, 21:34   #786
aarongs

After weeks of wondering why Volvo chose not to illuminate some of the dash switches , the penny dropped and I bought some 'grain of wheat' bulbs.

Today I have replaced the little bulbs in about 5 of those switches. Including the Info switch, that one was a bit less fun than the others.
Lovely to see them all illuminated again and will be very useful on these dark nights.
aarongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2022, 22:12   #787
SwedishBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
Hoses now replaced and all seems well.

Martin
Hi Martin, have you tried some better-quality hose that is bio-diesel compliant? Although I keep a lot of the "basic" spill hose on a reel, I got fed-up with my TDI keep rotting it out under the acoustic cover every few months.

You can find some pretty good stuff through a certain auction site; just look for bio-diesel or methanol compliance to a decent BSAU spec. from one of the big component/kit-builder companies.

If you struggle, send me a PM, I can chop some special hose off my reel and send it down to you to try. I found that once I was into changing these hoses over each time, the process never seems to stop, not until I fitted this latest stuff. It isn't cheap, but nor is being stranded hundreds of miles from home with diesel pouring down the front of the engine!!
SwedishBus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwedishBus For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 00:40   #788
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Many thanks SwedishBus.

I hadn't thought of biodiesel compatability. I'll do some research and I may get back to you about your kind offer.

Martin
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 08:31   #789
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongs View Post
After weeks of wondering why Volvo chose not to illuminate some of the dash switches , the penny dropped and I bought some 'grain of wheat' bulbs. ...
Made me chuckle but quite understandable.
When I had a 940 they have the dash illumination fader near the headlight switch, very easy to knock it while turning the lights on and off, as I recall there was a reasonably regular question in the 940 section along the lines of 'Help my dash illumination has died!' with the response 'Have you checked the fader?', I did it to myself on several occasions too

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 18:38   #790
brickman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
Many thanks SwedishBus.

I hadn't thought of biodiesel compatability. I'll do some research and I may get back to you about your kind offer.

Martin
Most tubing available most places in the UK for petrol and diesel cars is effectively useless. The current fuels rot them out or harden to the point they crack from vibration in weeks or months, never longer. Diesel its not so bad, its just annoying, petrol, plenty of cars and motorbikes have had a bonfire or worse.

Would take the guys offer or buy some from one of the diesel places.
https://brickwerks.co.uk/
Have some, they also have some other 2.5 tdi parts that are getting harder to find other places.