Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

OBD2 Live Data mystery

Views : 657

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2017, 18:57   #1
emtor

Default OBD2 Live Data mystery

Here's something for you to wrap your heads around:

Engine: B4184, inline 4 cylinder.
Scantool: Vgate Maxiscan VS 890.

Live data streaming is nice for diagnosing. That is, until you get data that is confusing.
I have no problem understanding what the different PIDs mean, but this one makes me wonder what the hell is going on.

The other night I started my car and hooked up my scanner tool and looked at some live data streaming.
The short term and long term fuel trims are confusing beyond belief.
A four cyl. engine should show only Bank1 . . . right?
Well, my scan tool shows fuel trims for both Bank1 and Bank3.
The short term fuel trim for Bank1 is around 2% and 17% for Bank3.
Problem is,-Bank3 shouldn't exist at all, unless two of the cylinders are designated Bank1 and the other two Bank3.
The problem with this is that for this to happen there would be two separate exhaust systems on this engine, which there isn't.

Does anyone have anything smart to comment on this one?

Last edited by emtor; Jun 1st, 2017 at 19:02.
emtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 07:58   #2
ww1dm1
What is this I don't even

It's probably just the scan tool misinterpreting the data if it shows anything for bank3, blame that. Is all data present for both banks? Maybe 17% is actually the bank1 long term fuel trim?
ww1dm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 19:18   #3
emtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww1dm1 View Post
It's probably just the scan tool misinterpreting the data if it shows anything for bank3, blame that. Is all data present for both banks? Maybe 17% is actually the bank1 long term fuel trim?
No, not all data is present for both banks (1 and 3).
O2-sensors 1 and 2 are only present for bank1,
The same with short term fuel trim sensors 1 and 2, only present for bank 1.
One would expect that short term fuel trim sensors 1 and 2 would be present for bank 3 also if the scanner interprets data correctly, but this is not the case.

The only PIDs that shows bank 1 and 3 are short and long term fuel trims.

SHRTFT 1 and SHRTFT 3 are both varying slightly around 0.8% and 10,2% respectivily.
LONGFT 1 and LONGFT 3 are both steady at 6.2 and 17.2% respectivily.
It seems like short term 3 and long term 3 behaves in the same manner as the respective values for bank 1.
Although the values for bank 3 are about 10 times higher than bank 1, bank 3 values behaves much in the same manner as those for bank 1.
In other words, they behave like legitimate fuel trim values.
When I increase RPM all values change slightly in the same manner also.

I have no idea were the scanner gets the bank 3 values from.

I'll could buy another scanner to check wether or not the new scanner presents data in the same way.
If not, then my Maxiscan messes up data in some weird way.
I could also test it on other cars to see if it has the same behaviour.

Last edited by emtor; Jun 2nd, 2017 at 19:24.
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 08:40   #4
ww1dm1
What is this I don't even

Odd, I'd guess the bank3 trim values are actually some other (possibly Volvo specific) values that are being misinterpreted by the scan tool as trims. But they do behave as trims, which is strange. I guess you could try another scan tool and see which values match.
ww1dm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 20:31   #5
emtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww1dm1 View Post
Odd, I'd guess the bank3 trim values are actually some other (possibly Volvo specific) values that are being misinterpreted by the scan tool as trims. But they do behave as trims, which is strange. I guess you could try another scan tool and see which values match.
I'm set at getting to the bottom of this. The values are so different between bank1 and bank3 that choosing one of them to aid in diagnosing is not a good idea.

I'll buy another scanner that works with these models of volvos.