Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cambelt jumped a tooth.

Views : 26297

Replies : 286

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2010, 00:32   #41
RXS
manic monkey

Bring it round if your not too far away and il move that belt for you if you want, just to eliminate mate, sounds like its driving you mad

In the month of july and i come to you would you help me change my cam belt??
RXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 14:37   #42
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou View Post
hi m8, driving me mad, its never ending, me thinking of just cutting my losses on it and getting shot of it, where abouts are you m8, anywhere near junction 16 m6???
Iam right near junction 23/24 M6 just past Haydock just into Wigan, probably about 20 mins from 16 on a clear run
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 14:38   #43
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXS View Post
Bring it round if your not too far away and il move that belt for you if you want, just to eliminate mate, sounds like its driving you mad

In the month of july and i come to you would you help me change my cam belt??
Yes I can help you but I see your in Kent if your Sigs right, thats well over 220 miles from here but your welcome all the same
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 20:05   #44
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
I personally would get an emissions test done by some garage because you may have an over fuelling problem ,this could be down to various components within the engine management system but the co figure should tell if its running too rich causing pre ignition and might help diagnose the problem

laurence
hi m8, ok took the car to a garage today and got them to stick the probe up the rear end, he said it was all over the place, he said it sounds like the system is blowing and its effecting the lan on it what ever that is, he told me to take the car away and have the exhaust system checked, so onto nxt garage exhaust fitment centre, up on the 4 poster and he checks the system over, tells me the cat is new on it, the rest of the exhaust is fine, he said its blowing on the bracket the clamps on or from the back of the cat,
so if its blowing what problems will it give me.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 21:53   #45
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
hi m8, ok took the car to a garage today and got them to stick the probe up the rear end, he said it was all over the place, he said it sounds like the system is blowing and its effecting the lan on it what ever that is, he told me to take the car away and have the exhaust system checked, so onto nxt garage exhaust fitment centre, up on the 4 poster and he checks the system over, tells me the cat is new on it, the rest of the exhaust is fine, he said its blowing on the bracket the clamps on or from the back of the cat,
so if its blowing what problems will it give me.
That should not affect the running mate if its after the oxygen sensor and after the cat, He the guy at the garage was probably talking about the lambda sensor which is the oxygen sensor, this can cause bad fuel economy if its gone but you shouldnt get popping back through the exhaust and the engine locking when you turn it off, that definatly definatly sounds like a timing problem you have there, there is a way to test the oxygen sensor, if he stuck a probe up the exhaust it will tell you the gasses etc, if the timing was out it would be all over the show too, unburnt fuel etc, hi hydrocarbons, when an oxy sensor packs up sometimes you cant really tell until you test it, but if the timing was out this could damage your sensor and the cat, and by the sounds of it with the new cat on this looks to have been a problem that has never been sorted and the car sold on still with the problem
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 23:11   #46
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
That should not affect the running mate if its after the oxygen sensor and after the cat, He the guy at the garage was probably talking about the lambda sensor which is the oxygen sensor, this can cause bad fuel economy if its gone but you shouldnt get popping back through the exhaust and the engine locking when you turn it off, that definatly definatly sounds like a timing problem you have there, there is a way to test the oxygen sensor, if he stuck a probe up the exhaust it will tell you the gasses etc, if the timing was out it would be all over the show too, unburnt fuel etc, hi hydrocarbons, when an oxy sensor packs up sometimes you cant really tell until you test it, but if the timing was out this could damage your sensor and the cat, and by the sounds of it with the new cat on this looks to have been a problem that has never been sorted and the car sold on still with the problem
thanks again m8, i did ring the garage up that fitted the cat, this was done 2 months to me buying the car, and they said it was replaced because it had been run dry, ?? whatever that is.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 23:13   #47
grass hopper
Premier Member

Unhappy

Quote:
thanks again m8, i did ring the garage up that fitted the cat, this was done 2 months to me buying the car, and they said it was replaced because it had been run dry, ?? whatever that is.
that don't sound good,do they mean the engine was run dry and the cat overheated,the cat does not run wet/lubed or anything else,how strange !
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 23:22   #48
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass hopper View Post
that don't sound good,do they mean the engine was run dry and the cat overheated,the cat does not run wet/lubed or anything else,how strange !
dunno , they just said this is what happens to cats. they run dry, or its run dry, ie the cat, means nothing to me, sorry.
and another garage that looked at the car said the popping through the exhaust will knacker the rest of the exhaust and he said that would want replacing by the end of the yr.

Last edited by lou; Feb 25th, 2010 at 23:24.
lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 23:24   #49
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Run dry? dont make sense to me and I was/ am a mechanic and exhaust fitter, cat damage can be caused by many things, unburnt fuel, running leaded fuel, backfiring due to timing and timing would cause the unburnt fuel problem too but i dont know what they mean by run dry, there is no lubrication to it.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 23:27   #50
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
all i can say is the machine was reading 4.3 on the top gauge but dont know what that was, but as the exhaust was leaking it was all over the place.
when i say popping i mean its sounds like its got a ht lead arking type sound , whn you listen to it running, you dont get the same tone-pitch through the exhaust, and when you hold it in any gear it feels like a ht lead is down.

Last edited by lou; Feb 25th, 2010 at 23:32.
lou is offline   Reply With Quote