Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 T5 LPG / ECU remap - Any recommendations? (NE)

Views : 4340

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2010, 07:57   #1
Rob72

Question S60 T5 LPG / ECU remap - Any recommendations? (NE)

Hi
Just bought a T5 and am thinking of getting it LPG'ed.
I've got a 540i with LPG but this was fitted before I bought it and having had some issues with it I want to make sure I get it converted by a reputable, recommended installer and more essentially, an installer who has LPG'ed a T5 before.

I'm aware of the following installers who are fairly local :
CLS Dual Fuel (Durham)
Autogas 2000 (North Yorkshire)

Does anyone know of any others in the North East that they could recommend?
Anyone had a T5 converted by either of the above?

I'm not sure how feasible it is but I like the idea of having the filler cap concealed behind the number plate with the number plate attached with velcro or something similar. Would this be possible does anyone know?

The other alternative I've been thinking of is having the ECU re-mapped. I'm not after a performance increase but an improvement in fuel economy and saw a 10 - 15% increase in economy with a 530D I owned a few years ago.
It's a cheaper option than LPG and obviously a very minor change in comparison. Has anyone had their car re-mapped and able to give rough figures on improved fuel consumption?

Many thanks!!

Rob
Rob72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 21:16   #2
JezF

Rob,

I have an 850R running on a BRC sequential system with a MTE remap so 270bhp in theory.

Had a lot of of problems with setting it up, but it's now 100%. My issue was traced to the piggyback ecu loosing the crankshaft sensor signal at high rpm, so I'd get a hesitation - that was literally resolved today after two years of running.

I doubt you'd get the gas nozzle behind the plate, but you should ask the installer as anything's possible I guess.

Get the biggest tank you can - mine's 57l actual, 68l tank size.

Don't expect to get a mpg increase on a remap, made no difference at all to light throttle driving in mine.

If you are near CLS, go there, it's a total no brainer as they are the importer for BRC. They installed the gas kit on Evo magazines Alpina B10. They are bound to know what they are doing on a HPT gas conversion.

Interesting that you have a 540 as I've been looking for the right one to gas for a while - that or an Alpina B10 v8.

If you've got any more queries and I don't get back to you on this thread, pm me.

Cheers

Jez
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 00:01   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

CLS are no longer an importer but they do have a reasonable reputation. I'm no BRC fan but as they are local I'd try them first. Make sure they will be fitting suitable sized injectors to allow the engine to red line on LPG.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 07:57   #4
Rob72

Hi Jez,

Re: the 540i. It's listed on Ebay if you want to take a look :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT

Cheers

Rob
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 11:52   #5
Rob72

Default LPG Injector size?

I've been told that the injectors that would be fitted are "BRC Orange"

A quick search on the net has shed no further light on the size or appropriateness of these injectors.

Can anyone confirm whether they would be suitable?
Oh - and they won't fit the filler behind the number plate. That's a real shame, I would really have liked to conceal it.

Thanks again

Rob
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 20:39   #6
JezF

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
CLS are no longer an importer but they do have a reasonable reputation. I'm no BRC fan but as they are local I'd try them first. Make sure they will be fitting suitable sized injectors to allow the engine to red line on LPG.
Don't tell me, you prefer the gas systems that you supply??
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 20:40   #7
JezF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
I've been told that the injectors that would be fitted are "BRC Orange"

A quick search on the net has shed no further light on the size or appropriateness of these injectors.

Can anyone confirm whether they would be suitable?
Oh - and they won't fit the filler behind the number plate. That's a real shame, I would really have liked to conceal it.

Thanks again

Rob
Sorry Rob, I don't know but I do know that my injectors are good for around 75bhp per cylinder, so I'm guessing fueling isn't a problem with them.

Jez
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 23:12   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezF View Post
Don't tell me, you prefer the gas systems that you supply??
I do prefer the systems that I use but that is not to say there is anything wrong with BRC or many of the other kits on the market. When I started installing I was using BRC but the early systems were not very good and I soon found better quality equipment that did a better job. Things have changed with BRC and the multi point kits are probably as good as the rest on the market.

75% of the multi point systems out there now are pretty decent and normaly the weakest link is the installer having incorrectly selected parts or incorrect fitment. The LPG trade is one of teh worst for slagging each other off and it starts with the distributors feeds to the installers and if they do a good enough job its further spread by the consumer.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 18:39   #9
M D E
Master Member

I'm running a BRC System no problems at all from install, covering 500 miles a week on it, GreenFuel of Bath converted mine I have not difference in LPG performance v petrol. I went for the larger fuel injectors (orange) which can take upto 300bhp I've been told...£20 is about 180 miles
340GL,740GL,850GLT,850 T5,850 R,V70R,(95) 960 3.0,480 Turbos in white, black, blue, gold,S60 T5
M D E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 19:58   #10
JezF

Quote:
Originally Posted by M D E View Post
I'm running a BRC System no problems at all from install, covering 500 miles a week on it, GreenFuel of Bath converted mine I have not difference in LPG performance v petrol. I went for the larger fuel injectors (orange) which can take upto 300bhp I've been told...£20 is about 180 miles
Are you sure that mpg is the same gas to petrol?

If it is, it's probably running lean.

I've checked mine in the past with a wide band lambda sensor and the fuelling was pretty much spot on and I see a 15-20% loss on gas.

I will get it dynoed at Emerald Engineering sometime just to make sure that fuelling is correct.

Tags
ecu, lpg, remap