Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alarm and heated rear windows related ?

Views : 834

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2020, 12:20   #1
Critical Bill

Default Alarm and heated rear windows related ?

I have this on going problem with my car alarm for quite a while where is set off randomly and mostly at night. For over a year Im locking my car with the key just not to arm the alarm.

At first I thought is siren module as many people suggest but I replaced module with new one from dealer for £200 w/o luck.

I also checked wires that runs on left hinge on tailgate door and they are in good condition without visible cuts

Few times ( x5 in last year)message appears on dash saying that my tailgate is open while driving ( ones or twice after I run thru small pothole).
I checked for some loose connectors but I couldn't find any

replaced a tailgate latch with used one from forum member cos I though it may be micro switch but that didn't help alarm still goes off randomly.

Yesterday I have suggestion from mechanic that the conductor tracks of the rear window heater printed on the rear window are damaged and they can cause alarm goes off and tailgate open message appears on dash.|

He suggested that is possible to make this alarm problem goes away but I will lose defroster .I would prefer to keep both but I'm happy to lose alarm if that is the option

Not sure how easy is to fix them as my rear window is tinted and removing tint can do more damage.
Replacing whole glass is the option or removing alarm with software from dealer is the other one and probably cheaper option.

I do work on my car etc but electric is like black magic for me. I have multi meter at home but I'm not very good with using one

Car is V70 2.4 n/a 2006

Old Feb 15th, 2020, 12:59   #2
Brendan W
Premier Member

Yes they are related. A signal wire, Pink, comes from the CEM through the lock microswitch on through the demister and on to earth. If it gets broken, or the window gets broken you will get alarm messages and the remote flashes on lock unlock are different or absent on either lock or unlock.
The wires at the hinge can break inside with no external signs of damage.
I would check for continuity from the black earth wire at the demister and a good body earth and open the plug to the tailgate wires up inside the upper access panel to the right tail cluster and check for continuity in the pink wire with the latch closed over. Wiggle the harness at the hinge.

Last edited by Brendan W; Feb 15th, 2020 at 13:04.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 13:46   #3
Critical Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
Yes they are related. A signal wire, Pink, comes from the CEM through the lock microswitch on through the demister and on to earth. If it gets broken, or the window gets broken you will get alarm messages and the remote flashes on lock unlock are different or absent on either lock or unlock.
The wires at the hinge can break inside with no external signs of damage.
I would check for continuity from the black earth wire at the demister and a good body earth and open the plug to the tailgate wires up inside the upper access panel to the right tail cluster and check for continuity in the pink wire with the latch closed over. Wiggle the harness at the hinge.
Thank You Brendan.

I checked all wires for continuity incl pink ,black and also brown which is connected to demister with latch open and closed over and it looks all good.
I dont know what else I can check. I'm booked at volvo dealer next week so I will probably ask them to disable alarm cos I'm bit tired of all this.

Im not sure how long it takes to arm the alarm system but sometimes it takes few hours for alarm to go off.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 17:42   #4
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

When you checked the wires that run through the tailgate are you sure you pulled them out far enough to validate that they are fine? I did same for a friend of mine and recall pulling them out a couple of inches and saying, all good here. I then decided to pull out some more and WOW, most wires were all but severed. To pull wires out more, you need to take inside panel out and unclip the wires from one of those plastic harness clips that fastens to frame IIRC.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 18:12   #5
Brendan W
Premier Member

Just to add to Pierre's comment, I found it easier to inspect and work only after disconnecting the plug inside by that harness support.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 18:35   #6
100K+
Premier Member

This sounds like my issue from some time back
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=192701

Additionally i'd check continuity from one side of the rear screen to the other. If it was not working I'd suggest you would have noticed the gaps " undemisted"

Cheers
Bob

Last edited by 100K+; Feb 20th, 2020 at 18:37.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 18:50   #7
Critical Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
When you checked the wires that run through the tailgate are you sure you pulled them out far enough to validate that they are fine?
Thanks Pierre. I removed all plastic panels/covers from inside and from tailgate and I properly checked the wires and they all looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
Just to add to Pierre's comment, I found it easier to inspect and work only after disconnecting the plug inside by that harness support.
If you meant tie zip plug Brendan ...the one above speaker which holds wires then yes. I actually removed that permanently one cos I thought it may cause the problem when you closing tailgate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
This sounds like my issue from some time back
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=192701

Additionally i'd check continuity from one side of the rear screen to the other. If it was not working I'd suggest you would have noticed the gaps " undemisted"

Cheers
Bob
Thanks Bob. Do You mean continuity from red to black wire? There is also continuity between window brown wire tag on the left and the one which goes to micro switch so I suspect the problem is where the brown tag is attached to the rear window or am I wrong
Demister its working fine except top printed line which is broken for unknown reason
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 12:05   #8
100K+
Premier Member

As only one line of your heated rear screen don't work don't think this is the issue...Id re earth / additionally earth the brown wire to the black light wire as I did to guarantee a good earth. Sounds to me if you have an intermittent fault with the std brown earth point by the side glass
Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote