Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2006 V70 6-speed auto - oil drain question

Views : 736

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2020, 11:25   #1
ttboo

Default 2006 V70 6-speed auto - oil drain question

Hi,

Hoping someone with knowledge can help me with a quick question or three.

Only had this car a few weeks now, and after some jerky gear-changes and two different "gearbox service" messages, I decided to do a drain and refill of transmission fluid. It was a real pain getting the drain plug out - I won't bore you with details, suffice to say it took an angle grinder, an old 1" socket, a lump hammer and an impact gun. To my delight the oil that came out wasn't chocolate syrup, but it was still pretty manky. But I was somewhat surprised that I managed to drain 6L out.

That's pretty wrong, correct? I was expecting 3 - 3½ litres, not 6! Could that have been the cause of the gearbox woes? Is that going to have caused any serious damage? And am I OK to just chuck 3L back in, run it a wee bit, drain and repeat, etc. until it all starts to look a little redder?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Cheers,
Steve H.
ttboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 13:30   #2
stegreg
VOC Member

did you check the level on the gearbox dipstick before you drained it? by all means, put 3.5ltrs of oil back,but then check level on dipstick.if low....add. then run it for a minute or 2 then check level on the stick to make sure correct level.
stegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 16:31   #3
ttboo

Hi. Thanks for the reply, but it's the Aisin 6-speed auto, so no dipstick :-(
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 02:11   #4
Bashy
Aged Member

Was the car level or up on front ramps?
Mine was done two days ago up on front ramps and i only pulled about 2.4 from it, same box
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 06:18   #5
V70Zig
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboo View Post
Hi,

Hoping someone with knowledge can help me with a quick question or three.

Only had this car a few weeks now, and after some jerky gear-changes and two different "gearbox service" messages, I decided to do a drain and refill of transmission fluid. It was a real pain getting the drain plug out - I won't bore you with details, suffice to say it took an angle grinder, an old 1" socket, a lump hammer and an impact gun. To my delight the oil that came out wasn't chocolate syrup, but it was still pretty manky. But I was somewhat surprised that I managed to drain 6L out.

That's pretty wrong, correct? I was expecting 3 - 3½ litres, not 6! Could that have been the cause of the gearbox woes? Is that going to have caused any serious damage? And am I OK to just chuck 3L back in, run it a wee bit, drain and repeat, etc. until it all starts to look a little redder?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Cheers,
Steve H.
6 litres ? Are you sure you haven't drained the engine oil !!!

I would pull the engine dipstick give it a wipe, reinsert, pull it out again to check.

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V70Zig For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 10:24   #6
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70Zig View Post
6 litres ? Are you sure you haven't drained the engine oil !!!

I would pull the engine dipstick give it a wipe, reinsert, pull it out again to check.

My thoughts exactly!!!!!

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 01:47   #7
ttboo

Thanks for your replies.

No, definitely not the engine oil! After putting 3.5L in, I drove around for 20 miles and repeated the process. 3.5L came out and it was slightly more red than the first drain. Bloody weather kept me from doing anything last weekend, but hoping to do a couple more drain and fills this weekend.

Reckon the previous owner took it to someone who just chucked more in to get rid of the error message. Given that the drain plug was ruined (which I replaced) I reckon whoever it was bodged it and sent them on their way.

I was just wondering if overfilling the tranny by 3L would have caused any issues during the time it was in there.

Cheers.
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 11:29   #8
ttboo

To the person who PM'ed me - sorry I can't reply, I've not made enough posts :-(

But to answer your questions - yes, it's easy enough if your happy working on your own car and know what T40 socket is.

For me, I watched this vid a few times to get an understanding of what was required. Hope this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAb9...g&index=2&t=0s

Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to ttboo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 15:36   #9
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I do not know but I do believe a gross overfill would indeed louse shifting up.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 18:44   #10
Daz Newell

cheers i saw that video yesterday....its newer than mine but i presume its the same autobox.....did you use the laptop and wotavya
Daz Newell is offline   Reply With Quote