Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 royal Owners?

Views : 7657

Replies : 106

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 00:02   #21
volvo always
Premier Member

Looks great. Very Lexus LS 430!

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 01:28   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
Looks great. Very Lexus LS 430!

James.
Interesting comparison James! I can see why you made it but for me it's more of a Panther Rio or Avon Acclaim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther_Rio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Acclaim
The Avon Acclaim is mentioned about halfway down including the TurboTechnics version - XR3i killer and then some!

Both are standard production cars taken "at birth" and improved with Connolly Hide leather, burr walknut trim, Axminster (or similar) carpets and a few other extras.
The same idea seems to have been applied by Nilsson in Sweden, take a 960 and add bits to improve it.

Many manufacturers have done similar, especially on run-out models but none have come close to the Panther Rio, Avon Acclaim or 960 Royal in my book. Those were 3 special, each in their own individual way, cars. I deliberately omitted the R-R Phantom Celestial as that was created as a one-off by the original manufacturer whereas the others were created by coachbuilders.
Likewise the LS430 (and even the 400 before it) was developed as it was by the original manufacurer.

That's what makes the 960 Royal special, it was taken as a standard car and "lifted" to a higher level.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 08:42   #23
aardvarkash10
Master Member

the royal was a stretch, unlike your other examples Dave. Plenty of examples of similar approaches from most manufacturers. Mercedes immediately comes ot mind.

Here in the Antipodes, Holden had very specific product specification hierarchy starting in the HQ series employing the same chassis except one.

The Belmont was the no frills base model sold as a fleet vehicle. It had the 173ci engine and three on the tree, bench vinyl seats and single speed wipers.

The Kingswood was your Dad's car. It ran the mighty 202ci red engine and probably had the tri-matic auto slung behind it. It still had bench seats but they had patterns in the vinyl! And an armrest! And 2-speed wipers! Lordie.

Your retired uncle and the guy down the road who had his own building business drove a Premier. Flash gits. Velour trim, electric windows, tinted screen, banded wheels and, just perhaps, the 253ci V8. Definitely a trimatic box. Faux wood trim in very odd places.

But if you saw a Statesman or (swoon) a Statesman Deville, you knew you were in the company of a CEO or local dignitary. On a lengthened chassis (well, the station wagon platform but that doesn't sound as dignified) and muscling a 308ci V8 in front of the venerable trimatic, this was bourgmobile motoring for the sunburnt country.

None of them would steer around a corner to save your life and the brakes were, well, exciting. Simple and happy times.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 10:30   #24
lovejoy489

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
I would have happlily paid double for a Royal in need of some work.

At £300 what stopped you whipping out your wallet on the spot?
I agree, i would have paid at least double for a "Royale with cheese" !!...

But wait.................. looks like you are selling said car already?!! - https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1204882

Blackpool is a little too far for me right now, so im glad its not closer to Kent, otherwise i may have come an kicked a tyre!
lovejoy489 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lovejoy489 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 10:39   #25
lovejoy489

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
the royal was a stretch, unlike your other examples Dave. Plenty of examples of similar approaches from most manufacturers. Mercedes immediately comes ot mind.

Here in the Antipodes, Holden had very specific product specification hierarchy starting in the HQ series employing the same chassis except one.

The Belmont was the no frills base model sold as a fleet vehicle. It had the 173ci engine and three on the tree, bench vinyl seats and single speed wipers.

The Kingswood was your Dad's car. It ran the mighty 202ci red engine and probably had the tri-matic auto slung behind it. It still had bench seats but they had patterns in the vinyl! And an armrest! And 2-speed wipers! Lordie.

Your retired uncle and the guy down the road who had his own building business drove a Premier. Flash gits. Velour trim, electric windows, tinted screen, banded wheels and, just perhaps, the 253ci V8. Definitely a trimatic box. Faux wood trim in very odd places.

But if you saw a Statesman or (swoon) a Statesman Deville, you knew you were in the company of a CEO or local dignitary. On a lengthened chassis (well, the station wagon platform but that doesn't sound as dignified) and muscling a 308ci V8 in front of the venerable trimatic, this was bourgmobile motoring for the sunburnt country.

None of them would steer around a corner to save your life and the brakes were, well, exciting. Simple and happy times.
A trip down memory lane for me...I grew up in OZ, an i was a "Holden man".
My first car was a HG Holden 186S Kingswood sedan. The Aussie 1970's (when i was a spotty little teen) was the place to be, brilliant cars, fantastic memories...............We used to get picked up for work in the mid 80's in a Statesman, but im pretty sure that had a 350 chevy small block in it, rather than the Aussie 308.
lovejoy489 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lovejoy489 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 12:31   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post

Interesting stuff about the Holden HQ series Ash. We had something similar here, certainly in the looks department :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Victor

If you scroll down to where it says "Specials" and read about Big Bertha, it might sound as familiar as the HQ GTS 308!

Talking of which :

Our "sporty" version, even in the same colour but with only half a V8 (they hacksawed the other bank off! ) with 2.3L capacity.

We also had our variant of the Holden Premier :

Obviously detail differences between the Holden HQ and Victor FE/VX cars but they look pretty similar to me (except the engines perhaps) and then of course there was the Vauxhall Chevette/Holden Gemini showing more collaboration.

Back to the main point of this thread and as pointed out by Lovejoy above ^^^^^ it looks like the Royal is already up for sale!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 16:21   #27
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Nice to see the "other" family of Slant-4s showing up...

YAP37T is still around, although it's lost its "personalised" registration in favour of a more prosaic one; the 4/90 intrigues me as it's got non-standard (alloy) wheels. I have a little history for it but would love to know where and when it was photographed.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 17:58   #28
Dippydog
Premier Member

Had a FB Victor back in the early'80's always fancied but never had a "coke bottle" FD. Like the look of the Royal but as a 4 seater it's no good for me.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 19:15   #29
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine40 View Post
Heres the car..

Was it not what you fancied then?
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 20:35   #30