Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Heater Control Valve

Views : 6077

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2020, 18:43   #51
bob12
bob12

On my non-AC '90 745 when the slide lever for heating is moved from cold through the range to hot it operates the water valve just before the matrix.

That valve opens gradually in 'normal' valve like fashion (and a Golf Mk 1 valve) in response to the slider position and, if you don't do anything else the heat gradually increases as the valve opens.

Other than that all you can do via the other slider is direct the heat to wherever you want it with the central dash vents cutting out as the heat increases.

The only other control is the fan which provides a gentle zephyr or hurricane .....

Bob

Last edited by bob12; Feb 19th, 2020 at 18:45.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 19:04   #52
TonyS9
Premier Member

Ah found an old pic, there are 2 cables attached to the valve (sort of in-series). One could be the flap.

I'm still sure its a variable valve rather than open/closed.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 16:57   #53
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Confusion reigns.

There appears to be a difference of opinions regarding the original Volvo valve. There may well have been different valves fitted by Volvo but from my experience with the valve fitted to my car I have to concur with TonyS9 and Bob12. The control “shutter” within the valve moves proportionally as the heater control is moved. ( Original defective valve part no. VO3537062, possible Bosch part no. 0928400185 or 183. Replacement valve part no. VO9447892. ) If McGandalf’s heater valve is original, once removed from the car, as previously described, it should be possible to see the “shutter” and cause it to move by operating the appropriate lever on the valve. My valve had two control cables attached to it. The dashboard heat control moves the lower control on the valve, this moves a lever and concave cam which actually moves the valve “shutter”. The dashboard air distribution control operates the upper lever on the valve which in turn moves a flap somewhere in the heater housing.
My original valve was only leaking due to a deformed intake tube. Given that these valves are NLA I would seriously consider attempting some form of repair. If McGandalf can remove the valve I suggest he examine it to ascertain the cause of the fault and consider a repair if possible.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 20:46   #54
ulf

Default picture heating aggregate

In the link you can see the damper arm with cabel which regulates the mix of cold and hot air. It is rather tricky to mount the heating valve in the housing which contains the extra wire bracket to the damper. The water valve opens totally at a small movement of the control wire from dashboard.
https://www.bildelsbasen.se/se-sv/Vo...a/ID-29973742/
ulf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ulf For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 20:55   #55
ulf

Default Heater valve

See link for watervalve that fits none ac cars.
https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...valve/1001873/
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 21:09   #56
ulf

Default pictures and text how to change heating valve

https://forum.7900klubben.se/viewtopic.php?t=76279
In the link you will find pictures and text how to change heating valve for none ac 940:s.
It is written in swedish, I presume you have learned swedish as you drive a volvo.
The pictures can be viewed clearer by pressing on them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ulf For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 21:44   #57
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulf View Post
The water valve opens totally at a small movement of the control wire from dashboard.

Tack!

About the only bit of Swedish i know! ^^^^^

When our Volvos were made, a lot of British parts were used so as Brits, we didn't really feel the need to learn Swedish! (Hope the humour translates!)

The HCV you linked to fits left hand drive cars, it won't fit RHD cars - i know this as another member bought one to try and replace his heater valve and found it was almost mirror image and as such would have worked back to front if it worked at all.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 11:53   #58
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
There appears to be a difference of opinions regarding the original Volvo valve. There may well have been different valves fitted by Volvo but from my experience with the valve fitted to my car I have to concur with TonyS9 and Bob12. The control “shutter” within the valve moves proportionally as the heater control is moved. ( Original defective valve part no. VO3537062, possible Bosch part no. 0928400185 or 183. Replacement valve part no. VO9447892. ) If McGandalf’s heater valve is original, once removed from the car, as previously described, it should be possible to see the “shutter” and cause it to move by operating the appropriate lever on the valve. My valve had two control cables attached to it. The dashboard heat control moves the lower control on the valve, this moves a lever and concave cam which actually moves the valve “shutter”. The dashboard air distribution control operates the upper lever on the valve which in turn moves a flap somewhere in the heater housing.
My original valve was only leaking due to a deformed intake tube. Given that these valves are NLA I would seriously consider attempting some form of repair. If McGandalf can remove the valve I suggest he examine it to ascertain the cause of the fault and consider a repair if possible.
My old heater valve was leaking due to the same as above, deformed hose tubes due to someone overtightening the hoses, I was lucky and got a new one off a club member, but I saved my old one simply because my mechanic told me the valve itself was not leaking, my leaks were coming from the hoses, so one of these days I'll get round to trying to do something with it, I'm thinking along the lines of warming up the plastic hose tubes and inserting a piece of 15mm copper pipe as a liner, if it works I'll then have a spare, I tested it by holding it under water, blowing down the hose tubes, blocking off one end, it showed no signs of leaking, David.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S6005284.jpg (145.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg S6005285.jpg (115.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg S6005286.jpg (156.7 KB, 22 views)
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 12:00   #59
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
My old heater valve was leaking due to the same as above, deformed hose tubes due to someone overtightening the hoses, I was lucky and got a new one off a club member, but I saved my old one simply because my mechanic told me the valve itself was not leaking, my leaks were coming from the hoses, so one of these days I'll get round to trying to do something with it, I'm thinking along the lines of warming up the plastic hose tubes and inserting a piece of 15mm copper pipe as a liner, if it works I'll then have a spare, I tested it by holding it under water, blowing down the hose tubes, blocking off one end, it showed no signs of leaking, David.
Footnote ! I did make the same mistake as others, saw one on line that looked exactly the same, but needles to say it turned out to be for a L/H drive, so I have a brand new one for L/H drive, any use to anyone ?
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 13:06   #60
ulf

Default complex solution

I had problems with a leaking HCV on my -91 945. I broke the plastic housing for the valve when I tried to mount the heating valve in car. Then I set the damper halfway and had only the heating valve operated from dashboard. The result was that max heat on the dash control resulted in max cooling and vice versa. It was very tricky to get the right temperature in car due to the fast manoeuvre of the water valve. It ended up replacing the complete heat aggregate to an ECC unit (this includes removing dashboard among other things). I also had to fix wiring for speed, engine running and a couple of other signals. Now the heating system works very well except for AC which I have not fixed yet. I do nearly never touch the heat controls as it is now automatic. The fan speeds up when temperature sensor for heated air senses that it is warm enough for reaching the set temperature in car. Also after car has been resting half an hour the fan blows full until set temperature is reached, the fan also goes down in speed when the car reach approximately 30 mph. Anothe benefit for this change of heat aggregate is that the HCV moved to engine compartment and if it will leak in future it will not leak in passenger compartment.