Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

760 Intermittent wiper Mod - may fit other 7/9xx

Views : 2253

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2020, 09:38   #11
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Yellow aftermarket relay vs VAG

Hi Dave,

I was not talking about a VAG relay, but an aftermarket relay which does the same thing. Appearently this yellow aftermarket relay is especially made to replace the original Volvo relay, as it has the same plastic pins. These pins make it impossible to fit it in the wrong slot of white mounting plate.
Personally I have not tried any other relay, but this is what I understood from other owners who did.

Rob
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 09:55   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
Hi Dave,

I was not talking about a VAG relay, but an aftermarket relay which does the same thing. Appearently this yellow aftermarket relay is especially made to replace the original Volvo relay, as it has the same plastic pins. These pins make it impossible to fit it in the wrong slot of white mounting plate.
Personally I have not tried any other relay, but this is what I understood from other owners who did.

Rob
That's interesting Rob, i didn't spot the pins on the yellow one until now so looked at the relay that came out of my 760 which again, is different. I don't think that yellow one would fit in mine as there is a "skirt" round the base of mine with keyways in it (presumably to do the same job as the pins on the yellow one) but the website you link to says it fits the 760.

No plastic pins or anything on the VAG one, it locates on the electrical contact pins, no more, no less, same as the afermarket one i linked to.

As the electrical pins are common to each relay and in the same place on each (including their function), that should be all that is needed to correctly locate the relay.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 10:33   #13
tofufi
Premier Member

Just looking at my 740 now, it has this relay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-352...-/142484661095

All the same pins, but a totally different plug pattern. Would be possible to swap, but I'd need the wires removed from the fusebox
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 11:08   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
Just looking at my 740 now, it has this relay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-352...-/142484661095

All the same pins, but a totally different plug pattern. Would be possible to swap, but I'd need the wires removed from the fusebox
Use one of these Jim with flying leads terminated in male 1/4" spades and simply match pin for pin - saves having to pull your existing wiring about :

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co....79/category/37

You'll need the first one on that page, 140301 and a pair of crimping pliers suitable for "W" crimps.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 14:57   #15
tofufi
Premier Member

Good plan

Luckily I already have the spades and crimps. I ended up buying the holder from eBay as total including P&P was less than your link
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 17:44   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Sometimes the likes of AES, VWP and similar aren't always the cheapest Jim but they're useful for showing what's needed. Good news you found one on fleabay, good luck with your relay and let us know how you get on!

Old Feb 17th, 2020, 16:34   #17
tofufi
Premier Member

Hi folks,

I've done the mod, but it doesn't seem to have variable intermittency. It also has a loud relay click when it operates, which surprises me as I'd expected it to be a more modern operation than that...

The relay I bought was sold as a VW 99 relay, but has part number 191 955 531.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...m=273978553577

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-VW-S...O/273978553577

Have I been sold a pup?

Last edited by tofufi; Feb 17th, 2020 at 16:36.
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 17:33   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi folks,

I've done the mod, but it doesn't seem to have variable intermittency. It also has a loud relay click when it operates, which surprises me as I'd expected it to be a more modern operation than that...

The relay I bought was sold as a VW 99 relay, but has part number 191 955 531.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...m=273978553577

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-VW-S...O/273978553577

Have I been sold a pup?
Yes, sadly you have been sold a pup Jim in as much as what they've sold you is a 191 955 532 that is NOT programmable.

Sadly all their drivel in the description about the 357 955 531 being the equivalent put me off buying that one (although it was cheaper) because the two relays are different.
Also what they put in their listing about the photo not being of the exact item as they had more than one, it suggested they'd send out any old relay that they thought was right.

Apart from the years i've stated in my first post, relay 99 was the front intermittent but had no programmbale function, this has created the myth they are identical, which they're not. I only found this out with extensive cross-referencing.

Also from what i found when i was searching, the Duco relay does not have programmable functions at all, only the one that has the original (not copied) VAG symbols on.

Old Feb 17th, 2020, 18:13   #19
tofufi
Premier Member

Doh.

Thanks Dave - will send it for a refund and bought another
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 19:31   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Doh.

Thanks Dave - will send it for a refund and bought another
Fingers crossed the right one will come through this time Jim! As i said in the first post, 90-94 and 98-04 i think it was (without checking and i can't think just now) are the ages of the cars that had it.
Mine apparently came from a 1994 Corrado so was the last of the "first batch" so to speak.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:

Tags
volvo 740 vw relay 99, volvo 940 vw relay 99