Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'97 V90 spark plugs?

Views : 656

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2020, 22:15   #1
Estate87

Default '97 V90 spark plugs?

Evening all

What plugs does the '97 V90 take? I've been looking at the usual parts suppliers websites and there's loads of choice.

What do people recommend?

Cheers
Estate87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 22:57   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Plugs

As you say, there’s a bewildering choice.

I tend to favour Denso plugs having been very pleased with them in several cars over many years. They’re also generally the least expensive. Purists will tell you that Volvo genuine is the only way to go, while others will say it’s got to be Bosch.

In reality it probably doesn’t matter too much just so long as you get the plugs from whichever manufacturer that are recommended for your car.

Also, I’ve found that a lot of places only sell packs of four plugs, which is a pain for the owners of 5 or 6 cylinder cars!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 23:37   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

These are the NGK plugs to fit the V90, Denso is a good alternative too :

Recommended BKR6ETUC 3384 - Gap is preset
Alternative BKR6EKUB 3584 - Gap is preset
Upgrade BKR6EIX 6418 - Gap is preset
LPG LPG1 1496 - Gap is preset

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BKR6ETUC-...g/303457480262

Six of the little devils, post free from EuroCarParts under one of their ebay shops, carpartssaver.

If you want to go to the organ grinder rather than the monkey, ECP have their own lisitng for £22.32 so about 80p dearer than their own shop :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x-NGK-Sp...C/233473199144

Other sellers are selling them in multiples of 5 and 4 as well.

Not sure on the Denso number, i'd only fit Bosch if NGK or Denso weren't available and never, ever fit Champion!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 15:29   #4
Jebus
VOC Member

Personally, since the Genuine plugs are about 25 quid from your dealer I would just stick with them, at least the spec is spot on for the engine, but it is just a spark plug at the end of the day and as long as you get the recommended plug by the spark plug manufacturers they are going to all perform in the same way, some might give a better idle, others might be better at high revs etc etc etc

It is the same as the what oil to use, what filter to use and so on try to stay away from the cheapest, make sure it meets the spec and you are good to go.

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 13:44   #5
derek vivian

Default Spart plugs for V90

Laid Scooby. Dave what does upgrade mean in your post about NGK plugs? Are they better than the other NGK plugs you mentioned? I intend getting some so wanted to be sure of the best for my V90. Thanks. Derek Vivian
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derek vivian For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 14:01   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek vivian View Post
Laid Scooby. Dave what does upgrade mean in your post about NGK plugs? Are they better than the other NGK plugs you mentioned? I intend getting some so wanted to be sure of the best for my V90. Thanks. Derek Vivian
I'd use the standard ones Derek, usually the upgrade NGK refer to is to Iridium which is probably overkill on a normal engine - perfect for highly tuned engines with ultra-critical timing and firing or specially designed to be lean-burn along the principles of the Alfa Twin-Spark or similar.

In fact, if you look at the upgrade plug, you'll see an "I" in the part number, that's for Iridium. A lot more expensive and to be honest, a waste of money for your engine or any of mine.

Some modern engines do need them but on a 20 year old (or more) car, they're pretty much redundant unless major changes have been made to the spec of the engine.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 14:56   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
These are the NGK plugs to fit the V90, Denso is a good alternative too :

Recommended BKR6ETUC 3384 - Gap is preset
Alternative BKR6EKUB 3584 - Gap is preset
Upgrade BKR6EIX 6418 - Gap is preset
LPG LPG1 1496 - Gap is preset

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BKR6ETUC-...g/303457480262

Six of the little devils, post free from EuroCarParts under one of their ebay shops, carpartssaver.

If you want to go to the organ grinder rather than the monkey, ECP have their own lisitng for £22.32 so about 80p dearer than their own shop :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x-NGK-Sp...C/233473199144

Other sellers are selling them in multiples of 5 and 4 as well.

Not sure on the Denso number, i'd only fit Bosch if NGK or Denso weren't available and never, ever fit Champion!

I do not use any of them. Best plugs are NGK BKR6ES . Far less misfire problems using that plug and far less coilpack problems. As it is a basic plug it is very easy to close the gap a little if running LPG
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 14:58   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

100% agree stay away from champion and Bosch are very hit and miss. The silly thing is Bosch make the Volvo plugs and the Volvo plugs are fine
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 12:57   #9
derek vivian

Default Spark plugs for V90

Having taken your advice, Dave, for which I thank you the plugs I ordered via eBay arrived today. My car goes in for its annual service on Monday, but I see from my file of service invoices which came with the car when I bought it in 2014 spark plugs have been replaced at 30,000 miles or so. Amongst the papers was an Annual Service list of things needing checking or renewing published by Autodata Ltd and is specific to the V90 1997-98. This is where I saw the 30K plug renew advice. My car's mileage is just over 172000 so probably won't need its plugs renewed.
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to derek vivian For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 19:38   #10
bob12
bob12

I have used the 'lot' over many years with Volvos and other makes. Get a good reputable brand (and most are). Currently NGK are my flavour of the years.

Don't get me going on ignition leads!!

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post: