Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF Soot filter full

Views : 11067

Replies : 120

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2018, 06:58   #81
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Oil can only be lost through
1. Leakage out of engine (maybe into coolant)
2. Burning

You can check 1 easily.
NOTE that the engine splash cover contains an absorbent mat that will soak up any leaking oil, so inspect under the engine with no splash cover fitted.
Leave splash cover off and park over a large piece of cardboard, leave overnight and check in the morning. You'll see oil drips on the cardboard easily.

For the 2nd do the following:

Using VIDA do the following:

Check your engine is reaching normal operating temperature of 90°C (+/- 2°). Mine sits happily at 89° C,
Reason: no DPF regens occur until engine is warm; an engine running under normal temperature will never trigger a DPF regen, and the DPF eventually blocks up.

Check your fuel trim on all 5 cylinders. This will show any cylinder with poor compression. Reason: the ECU will compensate for low power on one cylinder by increasing fuel. Good compression on all cylinders with have fuel trim within the specified limits.
NOTE: you don't need a compression testing kit for this - all you need is VIDA software.

Both of the above can be done with VIDA, just by connecting to the car and running the tests.

Especially the fuel trim test is a good indicator of cylinder compression.

If engine temp is normal and fuel trim is normal, then the only place that oil can be lost is through worn turbo oil seals, loosing oil into the inlet or exhaust.

Take of the inlet pipe after the EGR and check for oil
You will have some carbon (soot) but there should be no oil.
Also, check charge air pipe seals under the engine. They may seep a bit of oil.
Disconnect and inspect inside of charge air pipe at the lowest point after the resonator - what does it look like?

I'm picking worn turbo oil seals as likely cause.
Which means removing, inspecting, and likely replacing the turbo.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 14:01   #82
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Under normal circumstances how often does a regen take place?

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 16:08   #83
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Under normal circumstances how often does a regen take place?
If you trigger it manually in VIDA, it can take up to 30 minutes
Some of this time is the warm-up and cool-down phase

I've never noticed a regen occurring when driving, but given the time taken in VIDA I expect it would be something like 15min to 30min.
At best during motorway driving.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 16:59   #84
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Thanks Swiss,

the reason that I asked about the regen frequency ( rather than duration ) is that today I did around 180 miles on the motorway in my newly acquired Xc90 d5 185 and deliberately selected instantaneous mpg readout so as to observe if a regen took place.

My understanding is that the mpg drops dramatically on the display during regen. I saw no change at all during the entire trip so can only assume that no regen took place on todays journey. I can only imagine that everything is fine with the car and that a regen was not required as the car ran faultlessly.

On my previous S60 that also had the D5 185 engine I did over 60k trouble free miles , never had any soot filter messages and was never aware of a regen taking place although in all fairness I never looked for it.

Last edited by S60D5-185; Mar 31st, 2018 at 17:14.
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 22:36   #85
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
the reason that I asked about the regen frequency ( rather than duration ) is that today I did around 180 miles on the motorway in my newly acquired Xc90 d5 185 and deliberately selected instantaneous mpg readout so as to observe if a regen took place.
If you look at the data in VIDA and do the math, you see that a regen will occur every 1 to 2 tanks of diesel consumed.

Depends on the driving style (city / motorway etc).
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 08:57   #86
Hank3944

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Oil can only be lost through
1. Leakage out of engine (maybe into coolant)
2. Burning

You can check 1 easily.
NOTE that the engine splash cover contains an absorbent mat that will soak up any leaking oil, so inspect under the engine with no splash cover fitted.
Leave splash cover off and park over a large piece of cardboard, leave overnight and check in the morning. You'll see oil drips on the cardboard easily.

For the 2nd do the following:

Using VIDA do the following:

Check your engine is reaching normal operating temperature of 90°C (+/- 2°). Mine sits happily at 89° C,
Reason: no DPF regens occur until engine is warm; an engine running under normal temperature will never trigger a DPF regen, and the DPF eventually blocks up.

Check your fuel trim on all 5 cylinders. This will show any cylinder with poor compression. Reason: the ECU will compensate for low power on one cylinder by increasing fuel. Good compression on all cylinders with have fuel trim within the specified limits.
NOTE: you don't need a compression testing kit for this - all you need is VIDA software.

Both of the above can be done with VIDA, just by connecting to the car and running the tests.

Especially the fuel trim test is a good indicator of cylinder compression.

If engine temp is normal and fuel trim is normal, then the only place that oil can be lost is through worn turbo oil seals, loosing oil into the inlet or exhaust.

Take of the inlet pipe after the EGR and check for oil
You will have some carbon (soot) but there should be no oil.
Also, check charge air pipe seals under the engine. They may seep a bit of oil.
Disconnect and inspect inside of charge air pipe at the lowest point after the resonator - what does it look like?

I'm picking worn turbo oil seals as likely cause.
Which means removing, inspecting, and likely replacing the turbo.
Swiss xc you are totally spot on again... i have taken the splash cover off and there is oil there! There is a black pipe about 2” thick that runs from the back of the engine to the front sort of through the sump, this is oily and there is a drip on it....shall i undo it and look inside?
Hank3944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 09:41   #87
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank3944 View Post
Swiss xc you are totally spot on again... i have taken the splash cover off and there is oil there! There is a black pipe about 2” thick that runs from the back of the engine to the front sort of through the sump, this is oily and there is a drip on it....shall i undo it and look inside?

Right we might be getting somewhere now.

This is the pipe that leads from the Turbo to the intercooler.

If you look at the rear most end of the plastic pipe you will see an orange seal where it meets the resonator box. There is also one on top of the resonator box where it meets the Turbo.

These seals split and can really affect the running because everything is linked together including ultimately the operation of the PCV as it recirculates oily fumes from the crankcase

Following on from Colinbos's advice I removed the resonator box completely and replaced it with this item which should prevent any further leaks.

You MUST sort this leak out by either replacing the two Orange seals OR fitting the Silicone Hose.

This fix, coupled with the fact that you have changed the PCV will all have a knock on effect in terms of getting your car sorted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-V70...oAAOSwPe1UEHm1

Last edited by S60D5-185; Apr 1st, 2018 at 09:52.
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 10:01   #88
Hank3944

Quote:
Right we might be getting somewhere now.

This is the pipe that leads from the Turbo to the intercooler.

If you look at the rear most end of the plastic pipe you will see an orange seal where it meets the resonator box. There is also one on top of the resonator box where it meets the Turbo.

These seals split and can really affect the running because everything is linked together including ultimately the operation of the PCV as it recirculates oily fumes from the crankcase

Following on from Colinbos's advice I removed the resonator box completely and replaced it with this item which should prevent any further leaks.

You MUST sort this leak out by either replacing the two Orange seals OR fitting the Silicone Hose.

This fix, coupled with the fact that you have changed the PCV will all have a knock on effect in terms of getting your car sorted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-V70...oAAOSwPe1UEHm1
I love all you guys!!!! It all easily accessable? If the seals are shot could the turbo still be ok? Or could the turbo be shot?
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 10:45   #89
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank3944 View Post
I love all you guys!!!! It all easily accessable? If the seals are shot could the turbo still be ok? Or could the turbo be shot?
Every chance that Turbo is still fine but best get other things sorted first before making checks on Turbo.

You are heading in the right direction.

Sort that leak issue and give the car a chance to see if it sorts itself out. All of this together can easily have an impact on the DPF.

Essentially you have a boost leak at present.

Old Apr 1st, 2018, 13:11   #90
Hank3944

Quote:
Every chance that Turbo is still fine but best get other things sorted first before making checks on Turbo.

You are heading in the right direction.

Sort that leak issue and give the car a chance to see if it sorts itself out. All of this together can easily have an impact on the DPF.

Essentially you have a boost leak at present.

Thanks sd. Is it easy fix to change the pipe? Is there anything i need to look out for?