Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine pinking, new car(!)

Views : 661

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2020, 15:46   #1
Cull06
Master Member

Default Engine pinking, new car(!)

Hi all

Had some ongoing rattling from the new car. Car details below. Now being diagnosed by Volvo as engine pinking (?!?!?). New car!

So the engine has been Pinking, when warmed up and under load, for just shy of a month and a half.

Assuming they fix this. Should I be concerned about damage done to the engine since this started..? The whole thing started with a clunk noise from the engine..!

I have only been using shell and Tesco 95 Ron, as per the manual.

Any thoughts appreciated! Cheers.

V60 cross country T5
MY20
Cull06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 11:04   #2
Cookeh
Premier Member

I'd be quite concerned if its pinging. Hard to advise what to do without knowing what the servicing team do and what the actual diagnosis is.

How long did it clunk for before it started pinging, and did you get the clunk diagnosed?
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 12:34   #3
Cull06
Master Member

There was just the one clunk or thud whilst going uphill. It started pinging immediately as I carried on up the hill.

And it was then pinging for maybe 2.5 months whilst in and out of Volvo as they tried to diagnose it.

I had never heard pinging before on a car so assumed it was just rattling. It went into Volvo 4 times in total and they kept giving it back to me.

Doesn’t matter now the car is locked in a dealership two hours away and they have completely closed down for the foreseeable.

I’m just concerned that when they reopen they will only make, I don’t know, a fix on the timing which will fix going forward, but then I would of course be left concerned on what if any damage has occurred after 2.5 months of on and off pinging on a new car.

Don’t really know how to approach it tbh. Perhaps I was just hoping someone would say that 2.5 months of pinging is unlikely to cause permanent damage, but I suspect I’m being a bit ambitious there!
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 16:01   #4
Dastardly Diesel

Pinking doesn't sound like rattling.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 16:22   #5
Cull06
Master Member

Well it did to me.
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 16:34   #6
green van man
Premier Member

Back in the day it was either caused by timeing too far advanced or a weak mixture, either a wrongly set carburetor or an air leak on the manifold. Both could cause overheating and in extreme cases burn valves and hole pistons.

Modern fuel injected cars are controlled by ecu's, both the mixture and the timeing so I would be looking firstly at sensors then ecu, assuming no leaks on the induction side of the engine. I can only assume the the effects would be the same as in previous years, ie, overheating etc.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 18:02   #7
walshawwilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
Hi all

Had some ongoing rattling from the new car. Car details below. Now being diagnosed by Volvo as engine pinking (?!?!?). New car!

So the engine has been Pinking, when warmed up and under load, for just shy of a month and a half.

Assuming they fix this. Should I be concerned about damage done to the engine since this started..? The whole thing started with a clunk noise from the engine..!

I have only been using shell and Tesco 95 Ron, as per the manual.

Any thoughts appreciated! Cheers.

V60 cross country T5
MY20
Hi, try using momentum 99 ehrn it's nearly empty and see if it cures it, my brother in law bought a nearly new volvo v70 2.0t and he owned a garage, that was pinking, in the end a new maf cured the problem
walshawwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 11:45   #8
Cull06
Master Member

Thanks. Yep that’s the first thing Volvo said to try. But according to the dealer it was still pinking with premium fuel. Suspect it’s something a bit more sinister.