Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Haldex oil change

Views : 39013

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2019, 15:07   #1
Frank B

Question Haldex oil change

I'm new to AWD, my 2016 XC70 D5 geartronic AWD is my first AWD car of any make. but not my first Volvo

I tend to keep my cars a long time and to do this successfully I'm fastidious about running on clean oil / fluids. Is there a recommended time / mileage to service the Haldex ? Any idea what it costs at a good indi ?
Frank B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 06:56   #2
mac219

Frank,

Ive just done mine myself on my XC60 D5 (2014). Not sure if yours will have same unit. But I was £44.00 for the oil and took about 1.5hrs to complete. Most of that time was cleaning the parts when off the car. So I'd guess an independent should be less than £150 ?
mac219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 11:55   #3
johncrwales
John

Hi Frank. I have a 2009 XC90 that I plan to keep for a while yet; mileage now 208,000. I was hearing faint bearing noises from the rear. I had used the local dealer up to now. They pronounced that I needed a new Haldex unit; that'll be £3,400+ thank you! No Thank You!
I have finally found an experienced local independent whose philosophy is repair where possible. He had a careful listen with a stethoscope and said that the noise was from the differential. This has proved to be so, and the old differential fell apart when he was getting the gears out, suggesting a hairline crack that might have gone any time. The Haldex unit was fine, and he changed the oil and filter.
Anyway, the point of the post is that he says that Volvo have no schedule for servicing Haldex units. He says this is crazy as the oil gets dirty over time and loses efficiency. He says that the Haldex units should be serviced every 50,000 miles, with a filter and oil change. This makes a lot of sense.
Regards, John
johncrwales is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to johncrwales For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 22:42   #4
Frank B

Thanks John, you sound like a mine like me regarding maintenance
Frank B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank B For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2019, 21:23   #5
richard willetts

Default Haldex Filters and Oil

Hi
The Haldex unit needs to be serviced on a regular basis.
I think that later Volvo`s use the Haldex Gen V5 and there is no filter therefore requires a more frequent service about 12 to 15k.
Its quite easy on this model as there is no filter just undo the pump and let the oil drain out, there is a small plastic gauze that needs to be cleaned.
On older models they have the Haldex Gen V4 this does have a filter and it is a little harder to remove the haldex pump,it also requires a new filter.The service can be left a little longer about every 40k but care is needed when refilling the Haldex as about 70ml needs to be removed after filling.
If you use your car for heavier work such as caravan towing the Haldex works harder.
This is only my opinion about Haldex but I believe prevention is better that cure.
There is also a good video on youtube that clearly shows both the 4 & 5 being serviced.
There is a guy in Kidderminster who offers a drive in Haldex service for £180 including VAT.
Richard
richard willetts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richard willetts For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 20:04   #6
moncman

I too am all about preventative maintenance and so this sounds like good sense. I'm guessing my late 2010 XC90 (2011MY) has a Gen 4 coupling.

My local main dealer said this: The Haldex coupling is a non service item however the oil can be replaced and the gauze filter cleaned for £226.

I believe many VAG models have the same coupling with service intervals between 20k and 40k miles. What's the deal with Volvo and the huge bill for a little oil and some labour? Is it the case that the design of the car makes the coupling a bitch to get at and most of the labour is for taking things apart to get to it?

I may ask my indie what he thinks.

BTW whilst I was asking about Haldex I thought I would enquiry about an ATF flush and replace. That was even worse at £442.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 11:00   #7
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncman View Post
I too am all about preventative maintenance and so this sounds like good sense. I'm guessing my late 2010 XC90 (2011MY) has a Gen 4 coupling.

My local main dealer said this: The Haldex coupling is a non service item however the oil can be replaced and the gauze filter cleaned for £226.

I believe many VAG models have the same coupling with service intervals between 20k and 40k miles. What's the deal with Volvo and the huge bill for a little oil and some labour? Is it the case that the design of the car makes the coupling a bitch to get at and most of the labour is for taking things apart to get to it?

I may ask my indie what he thinks.

BTW whilst I was asking about Haldex I thought I would enquiry about an ATF flush and replace. That was even worse at £442.
I have a 2012 XC90 approaching 100k that has had a fluid change at 70k.

I wish to change the oil and filter both of which were not expensive at around £50 from Volvo.

I think the issue is getting the prop shaft off and removing the assembly etc.

Having changed the cambelt, water pump etc myself the idea of doing the haldex unit looks complex to me.....
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 23:26   #8
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I have a 2012 XC90 approaching 100k that has had a fluid change at 70k.

I wish to change the oil and filter both of which were not expensive at around £50 from Volvo.

I think the issue is getting the prop shaft off and removing the assembly etc.

Having changed the cambelt, water pump etc myself the idea of doing the haldex unit looks complex to me.....
I accept my experience is with P2 V70 2004 AWD, and not later model Haldex. However, my reading and take on the Haldex "service" is that the more modern the vehicle, and therefore the Haldex unit , the easier the service is - specifically changing the filter. The issue is to get the seized torx? bolts out of the filter. On my car you need to reduce the length of your torx bit and use 1/4" sockets to make enough room to withdraw the bolts and this way although fiddly, the prop shaft remains in place. You also need to reuse the original filter cover, as the new filter cover is a different design and cannot be installed when the shaft remains.
Oil replacement again on mine was very simple via a single access point, sucked out with a "mitty" or similar or just a long thin plastic pipe.
NB blow through the pipe before withdrawing the old oil to disturb as much sediment in the haldex unit as possible.
After refilling ( I used a meter+ long pipe and filled via a funnel at the NS door) to the level of the hole I withdrew 100ml as I had read about issues if you did not.

If you have done a cambelt change you can do this. I started but failed due to seized filter bolts, and a cambelt change scares me.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 21:28   #9
Scalix

Afternoon,

I looked many time in Vida and no info about the haldex maintenance. No info at all about it.

I like to think oil need to be changed to have a longer components life.

I changed the oil on mine S80 AWD. I was surprise au clean the oil was (74K). I guess it was done before (maybe not as the AWD was not working). You need to remove the propshaft bearing carrier and then the disconnect it from the haldex unit flange. After you need to remove the flange (depend if you have enough space to remove the pump).After that you can access the pump. Changing the filter is really easy. However remove the pump was really hard. The pump was litteraly welded ! I changed the pump seals (cheap oring seal when you know the size with VIDA). Installation is not to bad. You need a tool to hold the flange when you torque the nut (150Nm).
You neeed some good tool and extension as the CV joint bolt on the top can be difficult to access and torque.

Hope this help.
Scalix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scalix For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 14:10   #10
GusGecko
from C30 to XC60

Mine was changed this morning haldex 5 - 2015 xc60.

See before and after pics - this is the first time I've changed it after 73k miles... despite asking Volvo directly and the dealer if it needed to be done - they both said it doesn't.....I think these images show otherwise!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191123_124859.jpg (303.5 KB, 447 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191123_124922.jpg (198.6 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191123_124953.jpg (177.3 KB, 353 views)

GusGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GusGecko For This Useful Post: