Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

6 to 12v conversion

Views : 3608

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2019, 10:11   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default 6 to 12v conversion

Hi again I have decided to bite the bullet and the conversion at the same time as rebuild. Sourcing a dynamo, regulator and blower motor. Ron,will contact you regarding the converter for wiper motor. Horn,I have a spare 12v. will I need to change the relay?
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 14:49   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Arcturus;

6V Relays should be changed when going to 12V, as they will likely overheat with double V applied. See also: https://www.sw-em.com/Ignition_Slave...us_duty_relays

...if you cannot locate a 12V Wiper Motor (first choice!), running the original 6V unit with a Dropping Resistor is always an option. I'm sure you've seen this, but here is the link again: https://www.sw-em.com/Vintage_Volvo_...conversion.htm

...there is even some of your 12V converter info posted there, but this is for low current loads up to 2A...I expect these modules would not have an adequate output for the Wiper Motor...you could make some current measurements to verify (and remember: Motor current increases with mechanical load).

Cheers

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Nov 9th, 2019 at 14:52. Reason: Additional info added
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 17:15   #3
arcturus
arcturus

Ron ,would the DR's shown be up to the job of running wiper motor. Changing to a 12v means taking off dash which requires in turn removal or wind shield.If so do you have any spare.Send PEM with details if you can oblige,or details of where they can be obtained.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 14:37   #4
arcturus
arcturus

Managed to locate most of the stuff. I will need to stick to the original start motor as the 12v doesn't fit or so I have been informed. I hope it doesn't knacker the solenoid.
Ron,does the full current run that or is it like a relay,a switch?
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 15:47   #5
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

arcturus;

Preferred first option is always to replace 6V components with 12V, and many of these exist because later Volvo models also went to 12V. If you cannot locate, or have another reason for not changing to the 12V version, DRs are the second choice, and yes, one could be installed for the Wiper Motor (although removal from an Amazon does not require glass removal and is otherwise not unreasonable...I can't speak to level of difficulty removing Wiper Assy on 544).

For answers to other questions, I refer you back to the article and notes, including reports of first-hand experience.

Cheers
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 17:07   #6
arcturus
arcturus

I have sourced all the components required including wiper motor. I have been informed that the 12V starter won't fit. not sure if I can swap a solenoid from a 12v. They look as though they are permanently attached. Would the 6v solenoid burn out? Is there a way round this?
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 11:31   #7
thx569

I've worked in bench electrical on starters, gens, alts, carbs, etc for a few years. It is possible to rewire a 6v to 12v. I don't know who or where you might get this done in your end of the planet. Call around to auto electric rebuild shops. Solenoid may not be the issue. Starter drive pinion may blow first.

I upgraded my 1950 Plymouth a long while back with good success. Used a resistor at the fuel gauge. Had to change lite bulb sockets front and rear. I didn't bother changing the instruments bulbs - just turned the dimmer rheostat to lowest setting, bulbs were still very bright. New 12v blower motor and generator/regulator. I left the starter alone at 6v. Spun the engine over very easily (and fast). Blew the started drive after a few years. Carried a spare 6v starter in the trunk just in case.

Death is nature's way of making it harder to get up in the morning.
thx569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 21:20   #8
arcturus
arcturus

Re' fuel gauge .Where exactly should the resister be fitted? Is it in the supply from fuse or from sender unit?It talks about fitting externally to the instrument panel. It's a bit unclear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel gauge.JPG (70.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Scan.jpg (103.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by arcturus; Feb 13th, 2020 at 21:23.
arcturus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 23:54   #9
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Arcturus;

In series with Ign Power supply to Instrument, and external to Inst is fine (IOW, Inst does not need to be removed to add DR...you could simply add it externally, between supply [there are multiple wires as terminal is used as a common tiepoint] and Inst power terminal).
Like so:

See also: https://www.sw-em.com/Fuel%20Gauge%2...nstrument_data

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 01:22   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
I have sourced all the components required including wiper motor. I have been informed that the 12V starter won't fit. not sure if I can swap a solenoid from a 12v. They look as though they are permanently attached. Would the 6v solenoid burn out? Is there a way round this?
Have you sourced a 12V dynamo? If not, consider a Dynamtor :

https://simonbbc.com/charging/dynamator/

It will give you an alternator output from a dynamo shaped component, retaining the original looks but giving you the output you need to keep everything charged.

Would i be right in thinking you're converting to negative earth as well?

To answer your question about the starter solenoid, i'd strongly advise changing it to a 12V solenoid, the starter motor you'll probably get away with but if you can find a 12V one that will fit, use it! Failing that, get yours converted to 12V ideally.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: