Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newby query re "nice looking"145 sitting on fleabay.

Views : 3555

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2020, 00:03   #1
Nextmove

Default Newby query re "nice looking"145 sitting on fleabay.

Hi,

new to this forum, and to Volvos in general, and I've been seriously looking for a good 144 or 145 for a while now, but have had a few pluses and minuses to sort out before taking the plunge. I don't really know Volvos, but these ones appeal very much as practical everyday drivers.
But while watching on various websites I came across what looks like a very nice green 145 on fleabay, which is apparently still on sale but hasn't moved for the month or so I've been checking it.

I hesitated to chase it up or put a query about it on this forum until I was a bit surer whether a 144/5 would really suit us, as my better half has severe arthritis, and would really struggle with heavy steering.

I was too much of a wimp to want to ask for opinions here until now, in case somebody on here decided they wanted it, and gazumped me just as I finally decided to take a chance myself.

But now, in view of the steering issue, I'm changing tack and I'm thinking a 164 would be a better buy - if I can find a good one.

So, my question is, why isn't this particular car selling? Am I missing something I should know, apart from it supposedly being risky to buy any cars on fleabay (though I've bought several on Gumtree without any mishaps)
The link is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1973-Volv...wAAOSw~kVde8wf.

(If that link fails it's just on ebay uk under classic cars-volvo, about 1 dozen cars down the display). Nice dark green.
I'm wondering if it's just a matter of price, or whether any experienced owners on here smell a scam or some other potential lurking problem, or shortcoming. It seems to me that the asking price is reasonable if it's really as good as it looks.

Opinions welcome. Remember that Volvos in general are a completely new ballgame for me, and I have a lot to learn.

And if anybody is considering moving on a nice 164 (RHD only) to a new home, either auto or manual, that is in really good condition, please let me know, as I've now almost fully convinced the better half that we should swap our perfectly good LR Freelander 2 for a more interesting older machine with some character - as long as it's a pleasure for her to drive and reasonably reliable (she refuses to drive my Morrie Minor, which is admittedly a work in progress, and still pretty clunky).

(that would take us to about vehicle 46 (not counting motorbikes) over many years (only 3 or 4 at any one time) , most of them old classics, many of them bangers, and some of them very modern (and by definition, boring, and too damned complex!)

Leroy
Nextmove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nextmove For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 00:20   #2
XCR
Master Member

Welcome to the forum Leroy, good luck with your search.

Last edited by XCR; Feb 15th, 2020 at 00:22.
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 00:20   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextmove View Post
Hi,

new to this forum, and to Volvos in general, and I've been seriously looking for a good 144 or 145 for a while now, but have had a few pluses and minuses to sort out before taking the plunge. I don't really know Volvos, but these ones appeal very much as practical everyday drivers.
But while watching on various websites I came across what looks like a very nice green 145 on fleabay, which is apparently still on sale but hasn't moved for the month or so I've been checking it.

I hesitated to chase it up or put a query about it on this forum until I was a bit surer whether a 144/5 would really suit us, as my better half has severe arthritis, and would really struggle with heavy steering.

I was too much of a wimp to want to ask for opinions here until now, in case somebody on here decided they wanted it, and gazumped me just as I finally decided to take a chance myself.

But now, in view of the steering issue, I'm changing tack and I'm thinking a 164 would be a better buy - if I can find a good one.

So, my question is, why isn't this particular car selling? Am I missing something I should know, apart from it supposedly being risky to buy any cars on fleabay (though I've bought several on Gumtree without any mishaps)
The link is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1973-Volv...wAAOSw~kVde8wf.

(If that link fails it's just on ebay uk under classic cars-volvo, about 1 dozen cars down the display). Nice dark green.
I'm wondering if it's just a matter of price, or whether any experienced owners on here smell a scam or some other potential lurking problem, or shortcoming. It seems to me that the asking price is reasonable if it's really as good as it looks.

Opinions welcome. Remember that Volvos in general are a completely new ballgame for me, and I have a lot to learn.

And if anybody is considering moving on a nice 164 (RHD only) to a new home, either auto or manual, that is in really good condition, please let me know, as I've now almost fully convinced the better half that we should swap our perfectly good LR Freelander 2 for a more interesting older machine with some character - as long as it's a pleasure for her to drive and reasonably reliable (she refuses to drive my Morrie Minor, which is admittedly a work in progress, and still pretty clunky).

(that would take us to about vehicle 46 (not counting motorbikes) over many years (only 3 or 4 at any one time) , most of them old classics, many of them bangers, and some of them very modern (and by definition, boring, and too damned complex!)

Leroy
It's a nice looking 145 and the trouble is, it's only worth what somoeone will pay. Many may feel £8k (all bar a fiver) is over the top for a 47 year old car, albeit a very nice one.

Why pick the 164? Unless you find one with PAS, the steering is likely to be as heavy (maybe heavier) as the 145 but in fairness, the 145 has relatively light steering for a non-PAS car.
That said, for an arthritis sufferer, that could still be too heavy.

A 745/740 might be a better option as they have PAS although it's not the lightest PAS on the market. Also likely to be cheaper than that 145 as they have reached (and are slowly coming out of) the trough of their values. In other words, a 745 is more likely to appreciate in value giving a better chance of a good investment that will grow rather than stay the same.

Just a bit of food for thought for you.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 09:03   #4
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

The 145 looks nice, it's a dealer. Go look at it and it will be priced high so see how low they can go.

You can retro fit electric PAS so that is an option.
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 09:05   #5
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Along with Dave's theme you could always get a nice 240 which have greater choice on engines etc.
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 09:45   #6
Triple-S
How Old?

A nice-looking car, but according to the High Street book "Classic car Price Guide" is very overpriced in our opinions. I have had all the cars you mention, and still drive my 145 and 164 regularly, so am not guessing when I respond!
My 145 has electric power steering, and if ones off-road parking is a bit tight, without it you'd need arms like Arnie. All my other cars (with PS) are fine. A very short old lady friend has driven my 164 and 240 (both with PS) with ease, although she is used to a non-PS Volvo 340 which I find very heavy to park, so it all depends on what one is used to.
If the car in the advert is standard inside, 140 seats regardless of condition aint the most comfortable, mine has been retro-fitted with those from another car (don't know make). As has been said, I would take the proposed other driver to try the car out, as she may well not be happy with it at all.
Personally I would go for a 240 rather than a 740, both far more comfortable and because getting parts for a 740 isn't as easy as a 240 (ditto of course the 145/164), and by looking at the various past discussions regarding 740s on here appear not as owner-friendly as the 240 range (excluding rust problems). Also for the price of that 145 one could get a VERY good 240: some people still consider every car over 40 years old MUST be worth a lot - tell that to my friend with a very clean 1976 Bentley which he can't sell for under £4k. One can even get a decent proper vintage car like an Austin 7 for far less than this 145, which in the past was always called 'Britain's forgotten classic'. It would have sold in the first few minutes had it been a 1960s Volvo Amazon in the same condition - its all about fashion, and 140 Volvo's aint fashionable (yet?).
The 164 is more or less the same re ownership appreciation - you either love 'em (like me) or consider them a thirsty old barge which should be consigned to the annals of history.
Sorry to be blunt but being an owner of all these models have tried to be frank - but my opinion is just that, so don't let me put you off in viewing this nice-looking Volvo.

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Triple-S For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 10:40   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khe Sanh View Post
Along with Dave's theme you could always get a nice 240 which have greater choice on engines etc.
When i was a young pup, a neighbour had a V reg 244 with PAS and the owners wife had MS and she found the steering too heavy, even with PAS - that's why i "glossed over" the 240 although it would have been a more natural progression from the 140/160 series.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 11:31   #8
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Although I have no experience of retro-fit PS systems, I have driven inter alia 1, 2 and 7 series cars in period and fully agree with 'Triple-S's assessment.

Steering 'weight' is both relative and a matter of personal preference. Both Linda and I found the (unassisted) 1-series cars 'heavy' but not unduly so - they were, of course, fitted with a steering-box and not rack and pinion system.

Our first 2-series cars, with rack and pinion, (also unassisted) were just right; our first assisted 2 feeling uncomfortably 'light' by comparison.

Our 7-series cars, all of which had I think PS as standard, once again felt very nicely balanced to our minds - although these were more sensitive to tyre wear than the earlier cars.

It does seem from other threads that there currently is a revival of interest in the 'series' Volvos, so they may yet indeed become 'fashionable', 'Triple-S'.

One thing is for sure, reading this and similar threads makes me regret more than a little parting with both my 145E and my 245GLT. The 245 was originally an 'embassy' car - very high spec, including A/C. Has 'PGE' survived, I wonder?

Regards, John.
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 13:20   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Our 7-series cars, all of which had I think PS as standard, once again felt very nicely balanced to our minds - although these were more sensitive to tyre wear than the earlier cars.
I think a lot of it is what someone is used to and personal preference John. I've always felt the 7xx to be under-assisted at parking speeds but about right once on the move.

Conversely many people who have also owned Rover 827s (my other car) has complained the steering is over-assisted even on the move. I'm one of the few that likes it as light as it is for parking and about right (speed-sensitive so assistance decreases with speed) on the move.
That said, it's a typically Japanese set-up of being very ilght in comparison to many other cars.

I learned to drive in a Japanese car with PAS (although i took my test in an MG Metro! ) so am probably more used to the allegedly very light set up and have come to expect PAS to be that light.

That said, your comment about the OP taking his wife with him to evaluate the steering on any potential purchases is very valid, it's down to the individual and what i consider light might still be too heavy for her on a bad day or she may consider too light.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 00:55   #10
Nextmove

Many thanks to all for your comments. I did write a fairly longwinded response but for some reason the posting system ate it and told me I couldn't post as I wasn't logged in. After I'd carefully logged in.

Will try for some more specific answers later, but it's way past my bedtime.
Nextmove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nextmove For This Useful Post: