Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

You know your're are Volvo driver when...

Views : 4907

Replies : 81

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2020, 13:31   #21
mr tickle

... you are always fixing the bloody thing or wondering why your credit card bill is large and then remembering that part you had to buy or garage bill last month!

Agree with the comfy seats and large boot though
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!
mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mr tickle For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 13:49   #22
Dastardly Diesel

When you buy a car that cost 50 grand new a decade ago and complain it costs a lot to run.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dastardly Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 13:57   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I got the H4s from powerfuluk.com, listed as fitting various models including the range Rover P38.

However, they've changed the design now. Second set i got via ebay on a hunch and because they looked right. My hunch was correct. However from what i can see on ebay at the moment, most of the LED bulbs being sold aren't right.

As such i'd suggest :

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...nversion-9-32v

THey also have a freephone number, give Duncan a call there and have a chat with him see if he can make any other suggestions.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 12:41   #24
mr tickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Diesel View Post
When you buy a car that cost 50 grand new a decade ago and complain it costs a lot to run.
If that was aimed at me?

I have no issue with maintenance and servicing costs on any cars high or low.
I always do preventative maintenance and look after cars much more than most. I spent a good deal of time keeping on top of things myself.
I have always replaced engine oils every 6 months or 6k miles and often will replace or change items before they are due.

I was complaining that this volvo has had more failures and repair bills than any other car i have ever owned (except a renault Laguna I once owned)

Maybe I bought a bad one or I was unlucky, but my post only reflects my own experiences with this volvo.
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!
mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr tickle For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 13:13   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr tickle View Post
If that was aimed at me?

I always do preventative maintenance and look after cars much more than most. I spent a good deal of time keeping on top of things myself.
I have always replaced engine oils every 6 months or 6k miles and often will replace or change items before they are due.

I was complaining that this volvo has had more failures and repair bills than any other car i have ever owned (except a renault Laguna I once owned)

Maybe I bought a bad one or I was unlucky, but my post only reflects my own experiences with this volvo.
I don't think the comment was "aimed" at anyone in particular, it's something most people will complain about, myself included.

A few years back alongside my Rover Sterling (saloon) i owned a Rover 827 Coupe. In essence mechanically identical cars except for the bodyshell and some items of trim and the fact the Coupe was 80% hand-finished.

The Sterling was £30k new and the Coupe, £33k new. The Coupe seemed to always have something wrong with it when i first got it, mainly due to previous neglect and incomplete/incompetent repairs. I eventually got it all sorted and ran it trouble free for the last 3 years of my ownership, just doing regular maintenence.

If your present car is one that's previously been neglected or had incompetent servicing and repairs that might explain the troubles you seem to be having with it.

You can do one of two things now, either get it all up to a good standard and keep it there or sell it on and hope the next car isn't a bundle of trouble. With a few exceptions, used cars are usually for sale because the previous owner has either got fed up with problem after problem or because they know they're getting to the sort of mileage where they will get problem after problem.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 14:37   #26
Dastardly Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr tickle View Post
If that was aimed at me?

It was aimed at no specific person.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dastardly Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 14:38   #27
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

The two best driver's seats in cars I've ever driven are the early, fixed back ones of a Vauxhall Victor FE - I ran it non-stop from The Angel, Islington to Renfrew and got out without any twinges whatsoever - and a BMW 2-Series courtesy car that had an extending horizontal section to the seat. I thought the 240 seats were the second-best until I encountered the Beemer and wondered if the hire company would notice that the driver's seat was missing when they collected it!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 15:54   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
The two best driver's seats in cars I've ever driven are the early, fixed back ones of a Vauxhall Victor FE - I ran it non-stop from The Angel, Islington to Renfrew and got out without any twinges whatsoever - and a BMW 2-Series courtesy car that had an extending horizontal section to the seat. I thought the 240 seats were the second-best until I encountered the Beemer and wondered if the hire company would notice that the driver's seat was missing when they collected it!
This could start a whole new thread - "What is the best drivers eat you've used?"

I had reclining seats in my VX2300 (facelifted FE Victor) so were potentially more comfortable than the fixed back version - very comfortable either way.

For me, the best i've used is the drivers seat in my current 827 Sterling. Secondbest is again my current 760GLE.

I could give many other examples of cars i've owned and/or driven but generally, for me at least, i've always found Rovers the most comfortable followed by Volvos although one of the main reasons i sold my last 740GLE (in my Avatar) was the lack of comfort in the drivers seat. That said it was no less comfortable than the previous 740s i'd had so felt it safe to assume that was how they were. I've also had several other 800 Rovers and they weren't as comfortable as this one, the SD1s were very good too.

I think a lot of it is down to the individual shape and size of the person as to what seats they find most comfortable.

Old Mar 28th, 2020, 16:06   #29
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

The Recaros in our Accord take some beating for a long trip. They're a bit firm at first but once you're settled, they're excellent. Tough to sleep in, though!
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 16:12   #30
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

The quality of the seats in my 1995 Saab 9000 Aero took some beating .

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post: