Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Definitive Guide to 900 Redblock Engines

Views : 2157

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2011, 09:38   #11
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

The last of the line cars had electric fans and a different intercooler arrangement. I have read that the intercoolers wasn't as good if you were planning a large boost in power. Having the fans might be a good thing though as it will be a bit quieter and give the water pump less work as it doesn't have the fan bolted onto it.
I seem to remember that the ECU's for the injection and ignition are different between HPT's and LPT's so you might not be able to run higher boost so safely on the LPT.
Late cars from about 95 had different wiring looms and need a diagnostic tool to access the fault codes and built in alarms.

Unless you can find a very well cared for HPT then a well spec'd LPT would have led a much less stressed life engine wise from a boost point of view. The axle ratios are likely to be different though and might be worth thinking about in terms of economy and performance.
Bodywork and general mechanical condition being most important, trim can be swapped. After finding out the hard way don't buy something planning to fit a different engine or make many mechanical mods as the insurance starts getting difficult.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 10:38   #12
Palmer
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Dawe View Post
Thanks Guys.
When and if this comes about, I'll be buying on condition rather than specific model or price, although a good HPT sport would be nice!. Probably worth paying a little more for a well looked after car that a cheapo dog which will cost thousands to get right.. I'm assuming, like all redblock engines, these are good for 200,000miles plus if looked after.

(Just been looking on the bay out of interest.."A lovely car, but there are a number of rust bubbles commensurate with any car of this age". My reaction to that would be.. No Ta!)
Hold out for a good condition late model - you wont be disappointed.

All the main stealers are dreaming with their prices imo.
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 21:32   #13
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
Bodywork and general mechanical condition being most important, trim can be swapped. After finding out the hard way don't buy something planning to fit a different engine or make many mechanical mods as the insurance starts getting difficult.
AH..... As regards insurance, being a boring old fart of advanced years, the insurance companies seem to be of the opinion that I'll only drive in a sedate manner (Insurance on my XC60 is £200 a year, my 740 was £95 a year fully comp!) So perhaps they might not mind too much for me?????
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 21:48   #14
Andreas S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
The last of the line cars had electric fans and a different intercooler arrangement. I have read that the intercoolers wasn't as good if you were planning a large boost in power. Having the fans might be a good thing though as it will be a bit quieter and give the water pump less work as it doesn't have the fan bolted onto it.
I seem to remember that the ECU's for the injection and ignition are different between HPT's and LPT's so you might not be able to run higher boost so safely on the LPT.
Late cars from about 95 had different wiring looms and need a diagnostic tool to access the fault codes and built in alarms.

Unless you can find a very well cared for HPT then a well spec'd LPT would have led a much less stressed life engine wise from a boost point of view. The axle ratios are likely to be different though and might be worth thinking about in terms of economy and performance.
If there is no A/C ECC there isn't electric fan, i have seen 940 1998 w/o A/C and no electric fan. There are different intercoolers depending on electric fan or not.
ECU i can't really tell but over here alot have the last 10 years as far as I know (including myself) changed pressure clock on turbo to HPT and just driven... worked fine. But i dont gaurantee anything.....
Andreas S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 00:49   #15
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I thought all the later cars got electric fans. I found out recently that some early cars had electric fans if the had air con. I'm not sure then now sorry if I am wrong.
I will have to check the ECU numbers to see if there is a difference. I've convinced myself that they are probably different and it's a while since I have looked to be honest.
I'm 41 now so didn't think the insurance would be much of a problem either but if you have done anything to make the car non standard they will probably make a fuss. A lot of companies will refuse to insure a modified car now. Worht finding out first and getting it in writing as well as my insurance company changed their mind after I had done a lot of work.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 15:35   #16
trscarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilydad View Post
thanks for this link was trying to find out if my 1993 940 turbo was non interferance engine , many thanks
trscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 17:06   #17
gpl1968
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trscarr View Post
thanks for this link was trying to find out if my 1993 940 turbo was non interferance engine , many thanks
Of the turbo engines only the ET is an interferance engine.
The B200FT and B230FT are non interferance.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 20:52   #18
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default swaps

My 1997 (R) has a bigger intercooler and larger radiator and electric fan, but the intercooler hoses are a smaller diameter, than the slightly earlier ones (P)that had a smaller inercooler, radiator and non e-fan!
barkster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote