Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 estate rear suspension.

Views : 1239

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2017, 17:32   #11
jor
VOC 20573

If you sre dismantling your air shock system could I ask you to take a few snaps of the setup as mounted?
I have what appears to be 'new' old stock Monroe air shocks and even with a mounting diagram am a bit lost as to what goes where - in particular with the relay and the rest of the electrics. I'll take a photo of the diagram this evening.

jor
Old May 21st, 2017, 19:00   #12
swedish brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I think it's safe to say the price of Nivomats is truly "shocking"!

What you've found should be fine but here are the springs i fitted to mine :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fit-with-V...cAAOSwzgRW0C7k

Couldn't find the shocks listed (KYB Premium) but found the Sachs ones a fair bit cheaper for you :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-740-...cAAOSwfVpYvE8v

Don't be put off by the sellers screen name, the items are genuine or at least the bits i've bought from them have been.

That said i've never had a problem with bits from PFV either, just these are cheaper for similar springs and same shocks. Don't forget it's unit pricing so you need to order 2 of each - the difference suddenly becomes a lot more!

You will find the old springs (for the Nivos) are a lot longer than the new ones - don't worry, once the new springs are on with the new shocks, everything should be fine. You'll probably need to readjust your headlamp aim as bringing the back end up will put the headlamp aim in the worms eyes!

Cheers for that! I'll get some ordered up once I've been paid. I'll probably get my garage to fit it all, I'm not a fan of playing with coil springs after losing one from a spring compressor once!
1974 Ford Capri 1.6L
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
swedish brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedish brick For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2017, 19:04   #13
swedish brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
If you sre dismantling your air shock system could I ask you to take a few snaps of the setup as mounted?
I have what appears to be 'new' old stock Monroe air shocks and even with a mounting diagram am a bit lost as to what goes where - in particular with the relay and the rest of the electrics. I'll take a photo of the diagram this evening.

jor
I'll see if I can get you some pics before it comes out.
Is there even electrics on these? Mine just looks like a pair of air shocks, two lengths of air pipe and a pressure gauge. I don't think there's any electrics on them?

The chances are the air leaks are just on the pipes or unions. I might keep all the old stuff just in case. Maybe it'll be useful for someone, especially as the shock themselves seem to function perfectly.
1974 Ford Capri 1.6L
Old May 21st, 2017, 20:00   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If you have a reasonable socket set, axle stands and a jack you'll be fine - no coil spring compressor needed! You can pop the springs in and out once you've disconnected the shocks simply by lowering the axle on the side you're working on - literally about half hour per side taking it easy.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2017, 21:05   #15
jor
VOC 20573

Default monroe leveller

This is the system I bought, second hand but appears to be in unused condition, so the seller would not be able to help with installation.
As you can see there is a compressor and a dash mount to enable adjustment.
There are two difficulties, putting the bits in (probably achievable) and getting the electrics to work (non achievable by me).
The schematic was provided gratis by monroe uk.
Forgot to include the shocks, which look exactly the same as yours.

jor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060940_compressed.jpg (150.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1060937_compressed.jpg (208.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png Capture1.PNG (114.6 KB, 7 views)
Old May 22nd, 2017, 22:05   #16
swedish brick

I've definitely not got that set up in mine jor.

I think mine must be a more basic system as I've got no compressor and no controls of any sort to pump it up or down.
To raise mine you've got to attach a pump directly to the valve on the pressure gauge. To lower you just let some air out.
Literally, all there is on mine is a pair of shocks, two thin air pipes and a pressure gauge.
Either that or part of my system is missing? But even so there's nowhere I can see on my car where any parts, switches or relays have been removed.
1974 Ford Capri 1.6L
Old May 22nd, 2017, 22:51   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedish brick View Post
I've definitely not got that set up in mine jor.

I think mine must be a more basic system as I've got no compressor and no controls of any sort to pump it up or down.
To raise mine you've got to attach a pump directly to the valve on the pressure gauge. To lower you just let some air out.
Literally, all there is on mine is a pair of shocks, two thin air pipes and a pressure gauge.
Either that or part of my system is missing? But even so there's nowhere I can see on my car where any parts, switches or relays have been removed.
That's exactly what i had on mine - just the basic "stick an airline on it" jobby. I think Jor has the "posh version" that means you can raise/lower it without getting out of your nice leather seats.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 12:39   #18
penninepullman
VOC Member

The compressor and electrics etc. were an optional extra; allowing you to increase or decrease pressure in the shocks from the driver's seat.
I have the basic system (no compressor etc.) in my 244.

The shocks are still available new for 700 series; Monroe part no. LA353

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/monroe-7436937.html

At just over £216 for a pair, considerably cheaper than Nivomats, which tend to be about £300 EACH
penninepullman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to penninepullman For This Useful Post: