Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 Air Con

Views : 1532

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 16:15   #11
George Holmer

Why bother thinking about how much the car is worth? Truth is, get two new tyres and some brake pads and you have spent more than the value of the car. Do you like it? Are you going to keep it? That is what you should ask yourself. I have yet to own a car which has cost me less in upgrades and repairs than the value of the car.

As for the drop in, I guess you will have to find an air con shop willing to do such a job but chances are, the bits that a conversion would replace needs replacing anyway, your canister for example, that is like a filter and does need regular replacing.

For a conversion, all you need to replace are seals and the canister. Whatever way you go you would be advised to first pressure test the system, as putting gas in a leaking system is like flushing cash down the loo and then, once the system is deemed free of leaks, you will need a fill. That's 75-100 quid already and you cannot do this yourself unless you have air con tools. If the system has not been used/working for a while, your seals are gone anyway and perhaps even one or two pipes and so they will need replacing as well. You would however be advised to replace pipes and condensors with tested, working second hand parts to save money. But test them first, before you pay!

If your car is a daily drive and you get stuck in traffic jams often enough commuting to work or maybe going on holiday to Cornwall/France, you will truly love AC and getting it right the first time will save money in the long term.

------------------------------
1995 Volvo 945 LPT Auto
1995 Volvo 850 GLT 2.5 Auto
1991 Volvo 945 GL Auto
1988 Volvo 745 GL
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 22:58   #12
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Default RE: 740 Air Con

Those drop in replacements are blend refrigerants and whilst they seem great to start with, they are not stable because different parts of the gas leak out at different rates depending on the size of the molecules, so no knowing whats in there after a while and cooling will definitely suffer.

George is right, spending money on general service items already far exceeds the value of the car and is uneconomic if you look at it that way. You have to think, do you like the car, do you want to keep it for a while and do you really need the A/C?
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 15:52   #13
picklefactory

All sensible comments (Again), thanks again for the advice. For interest to anyone in the Birmingham area, I have a quote from Motorclimate for £95 + vat to do R134 conversion, including re-gas. Which sounds pretty good to me as far as it goes, but as George wisely pointed out, no use if seals etc are no good. Motorclimate were not overly keen to do pressure test first, so I'm looking elsewhere for that as I'm not geared up.
I seem to be all talk and no action at the moment over small beer, I can feel an 'O sod it' mood coming on.
Excellent advice again. Thank you Gents.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 11:01   #14
pettaw
Forum Support Team

That price means they're not doing anything beyond changing the drier and regassing with R134a. I would've thought that Motorclimate would be better than that being as they've got a good reputation. They should really be at the very least draining the compressor and refilling with ester even if they don't flush, which, for 95 they're categorically not doing.

I would make clear to them that this is non-working A/C and that you need some sort of pressure/leak test to confirm overall stability before you can justify spending money on it. Surely they have Nitrogen test kits there?
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 14:53   #15
picklefactory

I've found a place in Tipton who will pressure test for ten quid. That will be money well spent if it turns up a major leak. They also sell the DIY conversion/re-gas kits for around £70. I'll certainly get the pressure test, and if all they are doing is new drier and re-gas, then I may as well do that myself.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 17:32   #16
George Holmer

Yes, that is a good plan. Have them pressure test it and if it is fine, then do the conversion yourself and then have them fill it. At those prices, you should end up within 150 quid.

------------------------------
1995 Volvo 945 LPT Auto
1995 Volvo 850 GLT 2.5 Auto
1991 Volvo 945 GL Auto
1988 Volvo 745 GL
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 23:03   #17
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Yeah, a regas means vacuuming the system down and putting the gas into a deep vacuum so you really need a shop to do it for you. I would also remove and drain the compressor and refill with ester oil. Don't use PAG oil for conversions.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 12:20   #18
picklefactory

By the time I actually strike a blow, I feel I will be an expert with all this info. I'll hit it next week and repost with results. (Busy this week).
Cheers folks