Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

945 front hub retaining nut re-use?

Views : 956

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2022, 09:23   #1
Ian Fife

Default 945 front hub retaining nut re-use?

I am considering regreasing the front hub bearings of my 1991 945 (2 litre manual UK spec.). These are the original bearings but seem a little sticky.
My question is about the nut holding the bearing on the stub axle. This is a special Volvo nut, slightly tight fitting to prevent it coming loose. Volvo recommend single use only - replace every time.
Does everyone always do this? Or is reassembly with some thread lock an acceptable practice? It seems wasteful to discard these nuts which are not easily bought and expensive.
What do you all do?
Ian F
Ian Fife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Fife For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 09:44   #2
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

You can get them less than a tenner each! I doubt even the dealer would break the ten pound barrier for a new one.

Considering how inexpensive these nuts are, and the potential for considerable damage or pain in the - unlikely - event one should come loose, I can't see any reason why one would consider re using them.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 09:48   #3
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Fozzard View Post
I am considering regreasing the front hub bearings of my 1991 945 (2 litre manual UK spec.). These are the original bearings but seem a little sticky.
My question is about the nut holding the bearing on the stub axle. This is a special Volvo nut, slightly tight fitting to prevent it coming loose. Volvo recommend single use only - replace every time.
Does everyone always do this? Or is reassembly with some thread lock an acceptable practice? It seems wasteful to discard these nuts which are not easily bought and expensive.
What do you all do?
Ian F
Do the nuts differ from the later 945 hubs that are sealed units ?
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 10:27   #4
Ian Fife

It's the nuts I am asking about. The bearings are integral with the hub, but I believe they can still be greased from the inside - please correct me if I am wrong!
Ian F
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Fife For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 10:37   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
It's the nuts I am asking about. The bearings are integral with the hub, but I believe they can still be greased from the inside - please correct me if I am wrong!
Ian F
The bearings can NOT be regreased without dismantling them. If they are sticky and/or have excessive play, you need to replace the hub complete with integral bearings and a NEW EVERY TIME retaining nut. Those threads are pretty fine and tightened to quite a high torque level, the nut is designed to be sacrificial in the case of thread damage so re-use is NOT recommended.

Unless you know the nuts are relatively new (e.g. you fitted them recently) and the threads are clean, don't gamble with your life and those of others and renew the nut.

On the upside, new hubs/bearings usually come with a free nut.

Mark - i'm pretty sure the nuts are the same on the later 940s, the early ones with the integral bearings in the hub are the same throughout the 9xx range and (from what i've worked out) first appeared on the facelift 760 in 1988, were adopted by the rest of the 7xx range during its 1990 facelift and i believe all 9xx had the same.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 10:47   #6
Ian Fife

Many thanks folks, that's very helpful. I will leave well alone for now. For info: I did remove the hub about 15 years ago to allow fitting of new brake shields, and I did use new nuts that time. Just wondered if re-use was something people did now that we have good thread locking products.

Ian F
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian Fife For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 10:57   #7
Ian21401
Premier Member

940, 1992.
I removed the front hubs when I replaced the rotten brake back plates.
The nuts were VERY tight. Prior to starting the job I checked whether I would be able to loosen the hub nuts. I managed to loosen the nearside with my breaker bar and a heavy hammer but the offside would not budge. I took the car to my local friendly tyre fitter who freed it very easily with an impact gun, without removing the road wheel. I then retightened it to take the car back home to do the job.
I had obtained replacement flange nuts from my main dealer ( part no. VO1387624, I think.) but for some reason, rightly or wrongly, I decided to refit the original nuts with thread locker. They were then tightened as per Haynes. ( 100 Nm. then angle tighten 45degrees.) In effect that was as tight as possible using my breaker bar. That was several years and several thousand miles ago with no issues since.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Mar 12th, 2022 at 11:01.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 11:00   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Many thanks folks, that's very helpful. I will leave well alone for now. For info: I did remove the hub about 15 years ago to allow fitting of new brake shields, and I did use new nuts that time. Just wondered if re-use was something people did now that we have good thread locking products.

Ian F
It's not about the thread locking properties per se, it's more about pre-loading the bearings. Also you wouldn't want any stray threadlock working it's way into the bearings.

Are you sure it's the bearing that's sticky and not the caliper and/or pads? If the car was laid up during lockdown for a considerable period of time, it's possible they may have Brinnelled as a result so your only option will be to renew the hubs or they could in fact just be worn out. Worth checking all the other options on what is quite an unusual query.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 11:13   #9
Ian Fife

Dave - everything is stripped down to replace calipers, discs etc. so the hub is the next thing to look at. I've never had noises or any problems with the hub bearings but the hubs don't spin very freely, BUT they do move round with light finger pressure. No play/no noise/smooth as silk.
Ian F
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian Fife For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 11:18   #10
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The bearings can NOT be regreased without dismantling them. If they are sticky and/or have excessive play, you need to replace the hub complete with integral bearings and a NEW EVERY TIME retaining nut. Those threads are pretty fine and tightened to quite a high torque level, the nut is designed to be sacrificial in the case of thread damage so re-use is NOT recommended.

Unless you know the nuts are relatively new (e.g. you fitted them recently) and the threads are clean, don't gamble with your life and those of others and renew the nut.

On the upside, new hubs/bearings usually come with a free nut.

Mark - i'm pretty sure the nuts are the same on the later 940s, the early ones with the integral bearings in the hub are the same throughout the 9xx range and (from what i've worked out) first appeared on the facelift 760 in 1988, were adopted by the rest of the 7xx range during its 1990 facelift and i believe all 9xx had the same.
That's what I thought Dave but I had a funny feeling early 740's etc had separate front wheel bearings that you could regrease and replace

I wouldn't use threadlock either. When I replaced mine recently the SKF hubs came with new nuts and once tightened to spec they deffo aren't going anywhere
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: