Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Violent wheel shake at 50mph+

Views : 728

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2023, 18:08   #1
Mooshley

Default V50 Violent wheel shake at 50mph+

The steering wheel has begun to start vibrating aggressively whenever the car reaches speeds over 50ish Mph. The vibration seems to decrease with acceleration but gets significantly worse when the accelerator is released or the breaks are applied. This used to happen infrequently and when I took it to the mechanic they said they couldn't replicate the problem but it has now started happening on a daily basis. Today I had the front wheels rebalanced but it hasn't solved the issue.

A check engine light is on and the car has been misfiring but diagnostics say it is a throttle body issue, could this be related to the wheel vibrations?

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing it and what should I do next?

Many thanks.
Mooshley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2023, 19:41   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

check to see if any of the steering components / bushes have excessive wear
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2023, 21:21   #3
Turbodave
VOC Member

Sticking caliper... they're quite prone for it. Take it a run then jump out and touch the wheels (not the brake discs!) and see if one is noticeably hotter / hotter than the others. My sister's V50 diesel is currently away to a new caliper for this exact reason and very similar symptoms.

However could also be a driveshaft issue, buckled wheel, worn suspension / steering parts (as suggested above) or yes it could be a pretty serious misfire / engine / gearbox related that's travelling up through the steering.

If a garage can't replicate it, offer to take them out and demonstrate the issue...
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 21:02   #4
BillCrane

Default Wobble

Hi,

I had this exact problem and it became very concerning and increasingly violent, it took 4 garage visits (all different garages) to find the problem.

It was a worn drive shaft. I had both replaced and it completely solved the problem.

Be wary of part numbers, my garage couldn't find the correct part number, but after I did some research I found an alternative that worked perfectly.

Hope this helps.
BillCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2023, 15:56   #5
GATLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCrane View Post
Hi,

I had this exact problem and it became very concerning and increasingly violent, it took 4 garage visits (all different garages) to find the problem.

It was a worn drive shaft. I had both replaced and it completely solved the problem.

Be wary of part numbers, my garage couldn't find the correct part number, but after I did some research I found an alternative that worked perfectly.

Hope this helps.
I had a faulty brake caliper, sticking, which overheated very badly. I think so hot that contibuted to the drive shaft failure. Sympton was horrendous steering wheel vibration/shaking intermittently. Replaced drive shaft that solve the vibration issue and brake calipers solved the overheating issue at the hub assembly.
GATLM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GATLM For This Useful Post:

Tags
misfire, vibration, wheel shudder