Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2011 C70 T5 Battery drain issue

Views : 721

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2023, 22:56   #1
atxc70

Default 2011 C70 T5 Battery drain issue

I recently read this thread https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=249984 and a couple others that seem to have the same issue.
My parents have a 2011 C70 T5 that comes up with a dead battery after it sits a few days. This has been an issue since they bought the car used. They have taken it to the dealer and at least one other place with no results. They say there is no load on the battery. Clearly that isn't true.
I see that there is a service bulletin for the CRM indicating a software update. I am hoping this is the issue and I can get this fixed for my mom because she loves the car otherwise. What I am not sure of is if their particular model is one of the ones affected and covered by the service bulletin. Before I call and try to get the dealership to look up and acknowledge the service bulletin I was hoping to confirm that it is applicable to my mom's particular model. I was hoping maybe Clan could chime in here if he has an answer.
I would have done a DM, but just created my account and couldn't do so until I reach 30 posts. Any help would be greatly apprectiated.
atxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 23:24   #2
eagle58

I bought a brand new battery for my C70 D5 and after a two week holiday, I came back to find it dead even though it was fully charged before I left.

I worked it out that having the alarm engaged drains power from the battery and over two weeks it had drained it completely.

If your battery is a few years old maybe it can't hold as much charge and it drains it quicker.

I just leave the alarm off if I'm not using the car and rely on the keyless entry for security.

HTH.
eagle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 23:55   #3
atxc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle58 View Post
I bought a brand new battery for my C70 D5 and after a two week holiday, I came back to find it dead even though it was fully charged before I left.

I worked it out that having the alarm engaged drains power from the battery and over two weeks it had drained it completely.

If your battery is a few years old maybe it can't hold as much charge and it drains it quicker.

I just leave the alarm off if I'm not using the car and rely on the keyless entry for security.

HTH.
They have been through multiple batteries at this point. Usually 3-4 days of no driving and it is sure to be dead. Sometimes less.
Old Aug 29th, 2023, 00:43   #4
eagle58

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxc70 View Post
They have been through multiple batteries at this point. Usually 3-4 days of no driving and it is sure to be dead. Sometimes less.
Get an auto-electrician.
eagle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2023, 01:17   #5
atxc70

Quote:
Get an auto-electrician.
To be clear I'm not asking what the problem is. I am only asking if the technical service bulletin regarding the issue with the CRM draining the battery would cover this particular year and model.
Old Aug 29th, 2023, 10:54   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

HTH.
The alarm wont drain the battery if it is a volvo factory one. 50 ma is the max current allowed once the car has shut down.
Old Aug 29th, 2023, 10:57   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxc70 View Post
I recently read this thread https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=249984 and a couple others that seem to have the same issue.
My parents have a 2011 C70 T5 that comes up with a dead battery after it sits a few days. This has been an issue since they bought the car used. They have taken it to the dealer and at least one other place with no results. They say there is no load on the battery. Clearly that isn't true.
I see that there is a service bulletin for the CRM indicating a software update. I am hoping this is the issue and I can get this fixed for my mom because she loves the car otherwise. What I am not sure of is if their particular model is one of the ones affected and covered by the service bulletin. Before I call and try to get the dealership to look up and acknowledge the service bulletin I was hoping to confirm that it is applicable to my mom's particular model. I was hoping maybe Clan could chime in here if he has an answer.
I would have done a DM, but just created my account and couldn't do so until I reach 30 posts. Any help would be greatly apprectiated.
I don't remember a bulletin on this problem, it will be incorporated in the yearly free software update with the service anyway now . so what was the current drain once the car has shut down ? ( about 10 mins ) You need a multimeter in series with the battery lead . anything more than 50 ma is on the high side.
Old Aug 29th, 2023, 12:58   #8
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:

HTH.
check and see if your yellow roof lift button in the boot works if it dosent you have a broken wire in the harness i had the same problem it was a 1 v drain its easy to fix qnce you identify this fault.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2023, 00:03   #9
atxc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I don't remember a bulletin on this problem, it will be incorporated in the yearly free software update with the service anyway now . so what was the current drain once the car has shut down ? ( about 10 mins ) You need a multimeter in series with the battery lead . anything more than 50 ma is on the high side.
I haven't gotten around to connecting a multimeter yet. I can't find mine at the moment, but I will do it as soon as I find it.

I was hoping it was the Convertible Roof Module that was mentioned in the thread I linked and the one linked in it. I can't say for sure if they have gotten any kind of yearly update. I will have to call the dealership for them and ask them about it.

I did see the info about using the multimeter and pulling fuses so I will have to try that if it's not the CRM software that's the culprit.

Last edited by atxc70; Aug 30th, 2023 at 02:18.
Old Aug 30th, 2023, 15:09   #10
Simmy
Premier Member

dont just go pulling fuses randomly as this can cause issues and flag up multiple fault codes. you need a comprehensive diagnostic tool dice. snapon. launch. acarsoft. or any good quality diagnostic tool. only last week i had a car in who had disconnected the battery with the ignition on . resulting in 36 dtcs proceed carefully.check the boot for any water ingress any wetness in this area can cause problems,

Last edited by Simmy; Aug 30th, 2023 at 15:12.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote