Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Depressuring Necam CNG system [Volvo S60 2007]

Views : 1668

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2020, 08:32   #1
darjusp

Default Depressuring Necam CNG system [Volvo S60 2007]

Hi guys,

My Volvo started to shutdown again randomly on gas, especially when RPMs drops to low. I've read the FAQ on cleaning distributor, i am planning to do it first by pouring STP injector cleaner into the hose from pressure reducer to distributor. Before i was emptying gas system just simply by pulling out the hose and letting the gas run. Not a very nice way especially when pressure regulator is faulty (big boom). So i tend to go with more intelligent way.

There is a first step in FAQ

"With the car running on gas disconnect the solenoid cable under the air box to purge the system of gas. Reconnect before you forget."

Does disconnecting the cable means the plug from the pic on pressure regulator?

Or it meant by other way, as some guys in other forum also suggests to pull some relays to close CNG tanks?

thanks in advance for the help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg regulator.jpg (170.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by darjusp; Aug 7th, 2020 at 08:34.
darjusp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 18:37   #2
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

To be honest, I don't bother. On a V70 P80 CNG, and V70 P2 LPG I pull the stepper, 2 x 3mm Hex/Allen. You'll get a slight whiff of gas. V.low pressures in the dizzy anyway (1.5 Bar or less). Never worked on a S60 CNG, but low-pressure side, assume it's the same. It's the otherside of the reducer where you see 6mm steel that you need to be more careful (200Bar). You're not going near that. As long as you're low-pressure hose side of the reducer, do what you like. And if you had 200Bar there now, you, and most of Helsinki would already know about this...

Just make sure the ignition is off, and chissakes, don't smoke!

If you do have to 'blow-down' the high-pressure side, this can be done too, but a different question.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Aug 17th, 2020 at 18:56.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 08:51   #3
darjusp

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer. Clear enough
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 14:47   #4
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Just work in an open space or in your workshop with all the doors open. Methane, unlike LPG, is lighter than air. It won't sit around in inspection-pits etc etc like LPG. Don't allow anyone to touch a workshop light-switch. Done.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Aug 21st, 2020 at 15:13.
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 15:59   #5
darjusp

Well, not the most pleasant activity, a bit more sound than i expected next time will put earbuds
But i guess there is no other way to depressurizing that system

Saw that main hose (from Regulator to distributor) was cracked, needed to replace it. As CNGbifuel somewhere mentioned its 16mm, I got it from here https://www.agsiedlik.pl/en/fagumit-...1316-k609.html You also will need two clamps as original ones unusable after removal. Also they have 8mm ones, which I will need to replace it someday too.

To reach distributor you need to remove the fan. I attached pic and steps

Btw did anyone experienced leaks from CNG gas tanks? On the passanger (left hand drive) rear wheel i noticed some weak smell of gas after i got close to the wheel? any ideas which part is responsible for it? Can it be solenoids in gas tanks?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvofanremoval.jpg (217.3 KB, 7 views)
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 11:25   #6
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

A leak? Highly unlikely to be the cylinders leaking. If in such a poor state that they leak, you'd know by now!

Joints perhaps. The CNG receptacle/filler valves sometimes weep, I use an auto centre-punch to 'seat' the non-return valve. This is a bodge but worked until I replaced it.

Find the leak quick. Steal SWMBO's atomizer, fill it with soapy-water and spray to find the leak.
Attached Images
File Type: png Auto Centre-punch.png (69.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png Mist.png (170.3 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Sep 16th, 2020 at 11:29.