Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The same old, dreaded TDI pump timing..

Views : 307

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2020, 13:47   #1
Ninjabob81

Default The same old, dreaded TDI pump timing..

Hi, last couple of days I’ve had to replace the head gasket on my P reg 855 TDI, all went well, however ever since owning the car the Lambda light has been on. Now I’ve spent a bit of money on the car I’d really like to get it to bugger off!! Its definitely the pump timing, as on first buying the car it was an absolute sod to start, played with the timing a touch and it cracks up straight away now. Just would really like to get it spot on!

I’m in South Derbyshire but don’t mind driving the length and breadth of the country to get it sorted, although midlands would be a bonus..

Obvs a slab of beers/cash will be furnished on whoever can help me out.

Cheers,
Rob.
Ninjabob81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 13:58   #2
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Rob,

If it uses MSA15.7, I can recommend the 850 OBD 2 app for android phone and this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-ELM-...cAAOSwaphfJuZJ

It will allow you to set the pump dynamic timing and I found it worked very well on my 1998 V70 Tdi (MSA15.7). You should then be able to do it yourself without too much bother. It should also allow you to clear the EML light.

It does have one or two foibles and doesn't appear to like a error of more than - 4 degrees where it throws up a large negative reading.

I managed to get mine spot on!

Martin

Last edited by Martin Cox; Sep 28th, 2020 at 14:01.
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 16:05   #3
Ninjabob81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
Rob,

If it uses MSA15.7, I can recommend the 850 OBD 2 app for android phone and this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-ELM-...cAAOSwaphfJuZJ

It will allow you to set the pump dynamic timing and I found it worked very well on my 1998 V70 Tdi (MSA15.7). You should then be able to do it yourself without too much bother. It should also allow you to clear the EML light.

It does have one or two foibles and doesn't appear to like a error of more than - 4 degrees where it throws up a large negative reading.

I managed to get mine spot on!

Martin
Hi mate, I think mines 15.7, only issue is we’re a full on apple house.. not one single android device, seems daft having to buy an android device just to sort this out... Unless I’m missing something? Possibly?...😂
Ninjabob81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 17:31   #4
Martin Cox
VOC Member

So far as I'm aware there isn't a version for Apple. I don't think it's too fussy as to which Android. I use an old LG phone that my wife stopped using a few years ago and it works very well.

I'd be tempted to look for a second-hand phone. So long as it has Bluetooth to connect to the dongle and Wi-fi to enable you to download the app and can run the latest version of Android, it ought to do. I don't think you'll even need a SIM for it.

It might be worth asking on here if anybody has an old phone they'd be willing to part with for a nominal sum.

It seems quite a powerful app and I can certainly read engine codes, do the dynamic timing, read automatic transmission, ABS and SRS codes. It seems to be able to clear fault codes too. I understand it's written by an 850 enthusiast/expert in Finland and is primarily aimed at the 850 series. It will work on early Ph1 70 series cars using MSA15.7.

Martin.

Last edited by Martin Cox; Sep 28th, 2020 at 19:12.
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 11:54   #5
Juular

You may be able to use VirtualBox to run a downloaded version of Android on an apple laptop or desktop. If you are IT minded and can do a bit of tinkering with settings this would be a free method.

It should also be possible to get a very cheap android phone. I've seen old ones literally given away.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote