Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Most Unreliable Car

Views : 4959

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2020, 22:14   #11
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

It's the age old issue with forums that people are more prone to post with problems rather than satisfaction.
My own XC60 VEA of 2014 vintage and main dealer serviced, fed with supermarket fuel and now our second car has been a paragon of virtue and worked hard with towing duties. It's BMW 5 Series predecessor was a complete money pit of despair.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 06:20   #12
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
I can easily believe that. Lots of toys, bells and whistles to break in Volvo's incessant attempt to surpass ze Jonases. I wish they would go back to making high quality, relatively simple, well engineered cars, but then, marketing execs and school run queens wouldn't buy them. Oh, and nor would our domestic Joneses.
The reason I always look for poverty spec cars. Far less to go wrong and have to be fixed.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 06:49   #13
psl
Master Member

I would of thought the zafira would of been lucky enough to hold the most unreliable SUV. Still see plenty stuck on the side of the road.
I've always gone on the assumption, that if your new purchase has been well looked after, you should get less of a shock in the first few months of ownership.
My high miles well looked after xc is bucking the trend, it needs something spending each month and these are not cars you can run on the cheap. The budget end of all model brands will always have the ones where people have skimpt on maintaining and the new owner gets stung.
As above very few forum users come on to show off there motors, most join when their car has a problem and need it fixing.
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psl For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 09:24   #14
Welton
Premier Member

The trouble with reliability/satisfaction surveys is that they don't seem to take into account the mileage over which the 'report' is based.

Remember the JD Power survey said the best car ever was the Honda Jazz (or insert some other ridiculous idea here)? well that's because most Honda Jazz's only do 2000 miles a year - you won't have any issues and you will be very happy with it.....but imagine running a Honda Jazz as a Sales Rep covering the Midlands at 45k miles a year?

This report about the XC90 is more likely to do with 'wannabe' SUV owners buying cheap and of life examples and expecting them to be just like a 2019 Landcruiser.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 10:13   #15
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
The trouble with reliability/satisfaction surveys is that they don't seem to take into account the mileage over which the 'report' is based.

Remember the JD Power survey said the best car ever was the Honda Jazz (or insert some other ridiculous idea here)? well that's because most Honda Jazz's only do 2000 miles a year - you won't have any issues and you will be very happy with it.....but imagine running a Honda Jazz as a Sales Rep covering the Midlands at 45k miles a year?

This report about the XC90 is more likely to do with 'wannabe' SUV owners buying cheap and of life examples and expecting them to be just like a 2019 Landcruiser.
I would take a Honda Jazz to do several hundreds of thousands of miles. Its almost like the Jaoanese manufacturers have a much more engineering led ethos and take things like r and d seriously...your point, however, is valid. Comparing like for like, a lexus rx, in my opinion, presently and historically, trumps an xc anything for reliability, ease of use, overall ownership costs. The xc series have had their share of issues and i do not believe the known issues are acceptable in this day and age, and that's going back to the first models. Bmw, range rover, mercedes are all similarly poor in this respect.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 15:05   #16
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
I would take a Honda Jazz to do several hundreds of thousands of miles. Its almost like the Jaoanese manufacturers have a much more engineering led ethos and take things like r and d seriously...your point, however, is valid. Comparing like for like, a lexus rx, in my opinion, presently and historically, trumps an xc anything for reliability, ease of use, overall ownership costs. The xc series have had their share of issues and i do not believe the known issues are acceptable in this day and age, and that's going back to the first models. Bmw, range rover, mercedes are all similarly poor in this respect.
Agreed George, they call themselves premium brands and charge premium prices but it's the same kit under the skin.

80,000 miles and the clicking on my n/s CV joint had become unacceptable to me. Firstly volvo do not do new joint, it has to be new shaft. That new shaft is a premium price £820 Inc vat to buy without fitting, and has a 12,000 mile 1 year warrantee.

I could get a joint for £40 ish but took the view I don't want to be taking it apart in a couple of months to do the inner joint so fit a shaft.
Local independant motor factor supplied me a Shaftec reconed shaft which after the returnable surcharge was refunded cost me £190 Inc vat. It came with a 24,000 mile 24 month warentee.

Firstly a drive shaft that only lasts 80k miles is not a premium piece of kit no matter volvo charge £820 for it.
Secondly calling yourself a premium brand and charging premium prices is self delusion unless your quality matches the claims, volvos do not.

They are a nice car but they are not premium by a long shot in my book.

Paul.
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 22:01   #17
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
I would generally agree but the many tales of woe about xc90 volvos lend this one some substance?
Surprised a bit with this one George. Having had a fair bit of experience with Range Rovers in the past I'm sure they would be excellent candidates for that accolade. Daughter has had two, still got one. Turbo let go at 198,000 miles and present one up to about 170,000 and biggest problem seems to be the rear brakes but she pours three kids and all their horsey stuff around and including the horse box and a couple of ponies. It's biggest problem is it's not maintained as well as I would like but it's not mine. Keep in mind also, no person has ever been killed in an XC90! Wonder if WHICH Magazine mentioned that!
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 22:08   #18
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble View Post
Surprised a bit with this one George. Having had a fair bit of experience with Range Rovers in the past I'm sure they would be excellent candidates for that accolade. Daughter has had two, still got one. Turbo let go at 198,000 miles and present one up to about 170,000 and biggest problem seems to be the rear brakes but she pours three kids and all their horsey stuff around and including the horse box and a couple of ponies. It's biggest problem is it's not maintained as well as I would like but it's not mine. Keep in mind also, no person has ever been killed in an XC90! Wonder if WHICH Magazine mentioned that!
See Paul's post above Bob! Hey, im sure there are cracking examples, and to be fair, I really like them. If I was fortunate enough to be able to afford a newish one with manufacturers warranty I'd have one over most of its competitors, but at my end of the market...the empty pockets end...I'm shying away from them!! I'm looking for an old volvo or saab just now to replace Linda's old z3, so who knows what might end up outside our house!! Hope you and yours are well as ever!!
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 07:15   #19
green van man
Premier Member

As with anything it's down to maintenance, my26 year old discovery has only been brought home on a recovery truck once when the diaphragm in the lift pump failed..

It was changed and as it's engine driven so was the oil. No point fitting a new pump to wreck the crank driving with diesel contaminated oil in the sump.

Now which premium brand of car does that , sure I heared of one. Ahh yes volvo, failed regeneration diesel in sump lower the fill amount to make room for it owner knows no better and we sell replacement engines to the gulible fools.

Me, if ever I got that engine service warning without obvious known cause I would be changing oil not just sucking a bit out. But that's me and maintenance. It's not just annual service and be done with it.

Paul.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 19:45   #20
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
I can easily believe that. Lots of toys, bells and whistles to break in Volvo's incessant attempt to surpass ze Jonases. I wish they would go back to making high quality, relatively simple, well engineered cars, but then, marketing execs and school run queens wouldn't buy them. Oh, and nor would our domestic Joneses.
Are you being objective again? For shame sir!
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post: