Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clutch problem

Views : 613

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2019, 14:52   #1
TomTom
Master Member

Default Clutch problem

Hi there everyone,

1970 Amazon with cable clutch. About an hour ago, when I pushed the clutch pedal all the way down, there was a strange extra jolty movement. Ever since then it’s been much more difficult to select first and reverse although they select with a bit of force.

I’m on holiday in France and am wondering if I should get it looked at. Which bit of the clutch is this likely to be do you think? If you think I can last for a week then I’ll get it done when back in the UK and hopefully avoid language problems.

Thanks for any advice.

Tom
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 19:52   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Tom;

Symptoms sound like the amount of Clutch Fork actuation has (suddenly) decreased (and you're not completely disengaging clutch, which would explain difficult shifting)...this can be caused by a stretched Clutch Cable, (some strands break, and nominal length increases, which might occur suddenly, and result in your symptoms...this can be adjusted out if your lucky, and might last until you get home) or the dreaded fractured Clutch Fork (where a sudden failure and symptoms are also typical...sorry to be the bearer of bad news)...perhaps it can be adjusted, but difficulty shifting typically returns and gets worse as CF fracture opens further and CF action gets less because of it...
Certainly have it looked at, but short of having a replacement cable on-hand if the former, adjustment is about the only thing which can be done (replacements may be easily available...it's worth asking...installation is relatively simple, and can be done at the side of the road in a pinch...not so much fun on holiday, I understand!)...if the later (this might be visible, see: https://www.sw-em.com/Clutch_-_cable_actuated_Notes.htm , shift carefully, matching revs...if reverse gear is absolutely necessary, stop engine, shift into reverse, restart...better yet, don't park such that you need reverse...driving without a functioning Clutch tests a driver's metal (and vintage Volvo owner's dedication!).

Good Luck and Good Travels
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 00:40   #3
TomTom
Master Member

Thanks very much Ron for the detailed reply. I will endeavour to get a cable (always useful as a spare) and to get the clutch looked at. I have breakdown cover in any case, but oh the shame...!
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 01:28   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Tom;

Even in the best maintained car, a CC can fail suddenly and without warning...your job now is to get through your trip, and make it home, possibly becoming an expert in the process on clutchless shifting...I see no reason to hang your head shame!

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 10:24   #5
arcturus
arcturus

"Double de-clutching"is fun. You won't need to touch the clutch pedal if you get it right.
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 10:58   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Like Ron suggested, clutchless shifting maybe be your best bet to prolong the life of a failing component (whether it's the cable or release lever) and with a bit of practice, is just as smooth as shifting with the clutch. From the sound of things, you've got plenty of time to practice!

Many moons ago, i had a Chevette (remember them?) and they had a common fault. The release arm was held onto the ball stud by a piece of sprung metal which had a habit of breaking, resulting in the release arm not being secured on the ball stud so no clutch available! I drove that for weeks using clutchless shifting, first start in the morning in neutral, switch off and into 1st, start when i needed to move. Never did fix it, i was missing two vital things - a replacement release arm and the time to fit it!

Either way, good luck, i suspect Ron is right and it's the release arm.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 21:25   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
"Double de-clutching"is fun. You won't need to touch the clutch pedal if you get it right.
How do you double-declutch if you have no clutch? Playing agent provocateur here..................

Tom. If you are touring in France you have a problem. Carefully check the ends of the cable where they attach to the pedal and clutch arm, there might be an easy fix. If you are in a fixed place like a Gite you may be able to get a cable sent to you by express post.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 08:43   #8
c1800
Master Member

I understand clutchless shifting can be hard on the synchros; so only to be used when absolutely necessary.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 10:21   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1800 View Post
I understand clutchless shifting can be hard on the synchros; so only to be used when absolutely necessary.
It can be but if you get the revs matched right, it's less hard on them. Given the OP is somewhere in France and from his first post, i'm not sure even he knows where he is, i think it would be necessary.

Hopefully it's just a cable and he can get it sorted!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 21:42   #10
TomTom
Master Member

Hi all,

Derek; spot on, am in a gite. So a combination of Brookhouse Simon & Co’s excellent service, a reliable courier, a French garage that was open in July and willing to help (not to be assumed by a long chalk), and a hire car, and all was well three days later. There was about half the cable left, but I wasn’t going to risk it, or my marriage 😊, by waiting till I got back. Repair cost: €70, which I thought quite fair, although he didn’t have to drop the box.

Moral: carry a spare cable.

Salut from Calvados
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomTom For This Useful Post: