Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Considering S90

Views : 1625

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2019, 09:15   #1
pinheadplanet

Default Considering S90

Hi All,

I am considering buying an S90 but unfortunately the model/colour scheme I want is only available at a Car Supermarket and those places don't have the best reputation really.

I took the car for a test drive and everything was fine until I got up to 70 mph when the car started juddering/shaking through the steering wheel. It got worse the faster you went.

Is this just a case of wheel balancing or could it be indicative of something worse?

I know the car comes with 3 months warranty but the store is over 100 miles from where I live and having to take it back would be a complete nightmare, plus there's always the chance of them saying something like maybe I hit the kerb and caused the damage!

My fear comes from the fact that it's a 16 plate car with 2 owners, yet the last owner took ownership at the end of April 2019 so that means they're selling it on after only 11 weeks or so. It could just be the case they didn't like it/it was too big etc etc but it makes me wary.

It seems it was a lease car before as it has Paragon Lease Solutions as the PDI & a BCA Lease Solutions stamp in the service book. I'm guessing it was a Directors car as it has a huge spec (over £12k of extras) and it had a private plate. It only has 10k miles on it.

On the basis of "It's a car, it can be fixed, it's under warranty" do I go ahead?
Thanks
Kelv
pinheadplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 09:30   #2
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinheadplanet View Post
Hi All,

I am considering buying an S90 but unfortunately the model/colour scheme I want is only available at a Car Supermarket and those places don't have the best reputation really.

I took the car for a test drive and everything was fine until I got up to 70 mph when the car started juddering/shaking through the steering wheel. It got worse the faster you went.

Is this just a case of wheel balancing or could it be indicative of something worse?

I know the car comes with 3 months warranty but the store is over 100 miles from where I live and having to take it back would be a complete nightmare, plus there's always the chance of them saying something like maybe I hit the kerb and caused the damage!

My fear comes from the fact that it's a 16 plate car with 2 owners, yet the last owner took ownership at the end of April 2019 so that means they're selling it on after only 11 weeks or so. It could just be the case they didn't like it/it was too big etc etc but it makes me wary.

It seems it was a lease car before as it has Paragon Lease Solutions as the PDI & a BCA Lease Solutions stamp in the service book. I'm guessing it was a Directors car as it has a huge spec (over £12k of extras) and it had a private plate. It only has 10k miles on it.

On the basis of "It's a car, it can be fixed, it's under warranty" do I go ahead?
Thanks
Kelv
While it's likely to be something quite simple, it could also be something a lot more significant and I personally wouldn't touch it with a bargepole
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 09:31   #3
taylora

There have been a few reports of cars with vibration issues that are hard to resolve. Have a look around on here. It could be an unbalanced wheel which is simple to sort but get them to fix that and test drive again. If not fixed then I'd walk away. Is it a D5?
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 09:32   #4
pinheadplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemark View Post
...it could also be something a lot more significant
such as?
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 09:33   #5
pinheadplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylora View Post
Is it a D5?
It's a D4 Inscription, with 20" rims and air suspension.

Last edited by pinheadplanet; Jul 19th, 2019 at 09:35.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 09:40   #6
pinheadplanet

Old Jul 19th, 2019, 09:42   #7
weemark

Quote:
such as?
Frankly anything to do with the suspension and/or steering geometry or drive train - there have been a few other reports of difficult to diagnose and fix vibrations so if it was my money I wouldn't take the risk. The fact that the previous owner had it for such a short period would be a worry to me - your money though so if you feel it's worth a punt...
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 10:33   #8
Capt109

If these is the one in Northampton, I was looking just for interest, but on the images two of tyres look to be cheap Chinese ones, and one of the Pirelli’s has a chunk out of the sidewall

Strange that it needed 2 tyres after 10k miles. So it may have suspension issues.

But the spec does look good
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 10:37   #9
pinheadplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt109 View Post
If these is the one in Northampton
That's the one. I noticed the chunk missing from the tyre but hadn't noticed the different tyres. Do you reckon he may have smacked the kerb with it?
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 13:14   #10
weemark

Quote:
That's the one. I noticed the chunk missing from the tyre but hadn't noticed the different tyres. Do you reckon he may have smacked the kerb with it?
hmm - personally I'd avoid it like the plague