Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 Towing

Views : 1732

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2018, 22:59   #1
haynesbookoflies

Default V40 Towing

After spending £1000 for five days at Butlins I decided to buy a caravan this year.

Caravan purchase just made and has a MTPL of 1440 kgs.

I'm on a new licence after 1997 so can go for a max gross of 3500kgs.

Time to change the current wagon which has been a trusty S60 D5 with star ship miles on it as its too heavy.

The V60 is also over the weight I need.

I'm just wondering thoughts on towing with a V40 D4?

Kerb weight isn't that far of the V60 and the caravan is within the 1500kgs.

Anyone had similar experience? I test drove the v40 D4 today and the thing went like stink. I'd imagine doing about 1000 towing miles a year.

Thanks if anyone can help me out!
haynesbookoflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2018, 23:01   #2
haynesbookoflies

Oh and does anyone know if the V40 has the cababilty of having the trailer stability software setup?
Old Apr 29th, 2018, 15:59   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I *think* if you get the genuine Volvo trailer module for the towbar electrics and get the dealer to load the correct software you will have TSA.

However you are close to the towing limit of your car (1500 Kg I think) and outside of the 85% "rule of thumb" (by quite some margin...).

You would still be legal though.

Rather than spend a lump of money on a new car - I would just do the test.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2018, 23:16   #4
Friendly

I was in a similar situation, although hadn't bought the caravan.
The ramble below doesn't answer the question about a V40 but might be of some use.

I had a V60 and was finding it difficult to find a caranvan that I liked and could get under the weight limit.

I decided to do the trailer test. Since then I have bought a XC90. I just need to find a caravan now, but the choice will be based on what I want.

I would do the test and buy the car that meets your requirements and is also a good match for your caravan. I had some tuition over 2 half days then the test. The instructors pre book test slots so you might not have to wait as long as you think.

I have done plenty of towing over the years but did find the course beneficial.
Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 08:11   #5
haynesbookoflies

Default cheers guys!

I'll do the test probably in the coming year or so. I'm in the forces and have a sneaky intention of getting them to pay for it. Major concern for me is i'm dyslexic. So whilst throwing together jet engines is no issue, learning to reverse around stupid cones might be an issue. Think i'd rather do that at works expense.

Had to replace the S60 its given a herculian effort but with starship miles on the clock the number of jobs stacking up on the list are going to be the nail in the coffin. Dual mass...cambelt...pads and disks.

Have settled on a s60 d3 R Design 2014. On the log book its down as 2020 kgs which is in and give a 91 percent match, whilst under the 85 percent, I can live with it. Plus I do actually think the cars are pretty nice looking!!!

Thanks for your help!!!
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 10:16   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly View Post
I was in a similar situation, although hadn't bought the caravan.
The ramble below doesn't answer the question about a V40 but might be of some use.

I had a V60 and was finding it difficult to find a caranvan that I liked and could get under the weight limit.

I decided to do the trailer test. Since then I have bought a XC90. I just need to find a caravan now, but the choice will be based on what I want.

I would do the test and buy the car that meets your requirements and is also a good match for your caravan. I had some tuition over 2 half days then the test. The instructors pre book test slots so you might not have to wait as long as you think.

I have done plenty of towing over the years but did find the course beneficial.
There aren't may vehicles out there that are a better 'van tug than the XC90....
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2018, 08:37   #7
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
There aren't may vehicles out there that are a better 'van tug than the XC90....
I accept the xc90 is a good tow barge, I recently test drove one as thinking of a heavier van. 2017 vea D5 fully loaded and souless. Auto I would struggle with as I just don't like it. Adaptive cruise, lane departure, 360 cameras, I felt like a passenger in the driving seat.
As an A to B transport it is comfortable quiet and for its size reasonably fuel efficient, £500 a year ved is a bit of an off putter but that applies to anything a penny over £40k. For a driver who still enjoys driving, it was a souless barge with no character, technology on wheels, but no soul.

I'm sticking with my manual xc70 and will find a van under 1800 kg if I change.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2018, 11:14   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
I accept the xc90 is a good tow barge, I recently test drove one as thinking of a heavier van. 2017 vea D5 fully loaded and souless. Auto I would struggle with as I just don't like it. Adaptive cruise, lane departure, 360 cameras, I felt like a passenger in the driving seat.
As an A to B transport it is comfortable quiet and for its size reasonably fuel efficient, £500 a year ved is a bit of an off putter but that applies to anything a penny over £40k. For a driver who still enjoys driving, it was a souless barge with no character, technology on wheels, but no soul.

I'm sticking with my manual xc70 and will find a van under 1800 kg if I change.

Paul.
To be clear I was referring to the older model of the XC90, given the choices proposed by the OP I wasn't sure he was thinking of newer '90. I've not towed with the new XC90 so can't comment, but I do understand your comments (i.e. it's like a sofa with an engine and an I-Pad)

Which year is you XC70? Some P3 cars are rated 2t (manual) and 2.1t (auto).
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; May 12th, 2018 at 11:16.
Old May 13th, 2018, 09:23   #9
green van man
Premier Member

MY10 late 2009. Handbook gives 1800kg for the manual, auto 2000kg.
While it's an xc70 it's 2wd. A v70 on steroids. I baught it as it's easier to get in and out of being higher off the ground than my previous P1 v70. The extra 50 horses also help, not that the P1 struggled in any way.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote